Forum Rules & News

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Forum Rules & News

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:15 pm

I'd been wanting to break away for a while, and those ads were just the final straw. They had to be annoying for you guys. If anyone was smart enough to poke around in their profile, they would've seen this layout, as I made it over on the JG servers. Nobody asked though, so I guess nobody looked.

Anyways, here we are. I've made a few changes to the main pages, although everything should be overall very similar. I personally think the design is better, and the site is generally easier to navigate. I'm sure there will be the odd bits and ends here and there, but for the most part, everything should be grand.

I've still got some ideas up my sleeve, but always welcome feedback and whatnot.

Ciao
GP

Here's the few rules we have in place here:

1: If you want to post something that's news worthy, start the title off in [], w/ the system abbreviation inside. Each abbreviation is pretty self-explanatory (PS2, DS, GC, etc.), but you can search other threads if you're not sure.

2: Don't be a moron.

3: Keep your avatar and sig a normal size.

4: Keep directly linked images to a normal size, preferrably under 640 px.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:44 pm

Nice!

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:00 pm

Looks neat!

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Very comtemporary with simple, streamlined graphics. Nice!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:27 pm

Thanks guys. Not sure what Gamespy will dowhen they figure out I'm redirecting, so I've not really told them - just forced a redirect on every page at the old site.

Still working out a few quirks on the main page (differences between IE and Firefox) but everything is valid HTML, so it should look pretty nice on just about any brwoser.

mb7241
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby mb7241 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:54 pm

Looks nice and all... The only thing I presently don't like is the lack of PMs (which I'm sure will change soon), as I had one pending trade at the old site for my spare Super Famicom...

Wanted: Your imported RPGs (regular and limited editions)! Inquire via PM :) .

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:20 am

Whoops. I enabled them now. Had to disable them before copying over, and forgot to enable them.

mb7241
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby mb7241 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:56 am

And everything that was there before is there now... Outstanding job, GP. Keep up the good work ;) .

Wanted: Your imported RPGs (regular and limited editions)! Inquire via PM :) .

Von-Zipper
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Von-Zipper » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:28 am

Very nice design ! Still at the top GP !

The only thing I miss is the genre of each game, which used to come w/ the name and other spec. It was maybe easier to navigate through the games lists.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:32 pm

Yeah, the reasoning behind that though was that I didn't need almost all the information in two places. W/ most people having broadband, I figured most people would rather have the easier navigation than more information on the index pages.

Von-Zipper
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Von-Zipper » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:25 pm

Ok, but for exemple, I was browsing PSX games searching for platformers. I have to try all games if I don't know their genre...

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:10 pm

But before, you still had to to scroll down each page, w/ only 15 items per page. Seems a rather tedious option to do w/ more than 2-3 pages. I might make an intensive search page at one point, although I'll have to clean up a lot of the genres if I do.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:50 pm

Holy crap, this really looks spiffy! I saw the announcement of the update on IC and just had to check it out. I need to visit on a more regular basis... -_-

I really love the logo you've got going on--really simple lineart, especially when it's of gaming or PC hardware, has always appealed to me in a way I can't really describe.

Also, am I correct in translating 逕サ髱「螟

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:17 pm

The site didn't instantly redirect for me, so I saw the old JG pop up and then I went here, saw Gamenngai and thought "JP's BEEN SHANGHAI'D BY PIRATES". But I see that is not the case, anyway - I like the design of the site a lot, its very clean. Now my link page shall be entirely gamespy free! ;D.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:17 pm

GSL: Didn't know I was on IC. I guess I should thank Recap for the plug. (Thanks, Recap). I did the logo (bigger on on the main site) w/ Illustrator. I actually took high res photos of some Sanwa parts I had lying around, and traced.

Anyways, your translation is pretty much correct. I got it out of the Japanese Gaming Dictionary (there's a link in the links section). It's mainly used in shooting games (eg: offscreen bullets) but I believe works for any genre where some offscreen processing is going on.

Strych:
Congrats on being Gamespy free. I really didn't know what I was getting into by going to their new servers. Honestly, I didn't think the small banner they required previously was bad at all. A small tradeoff for very good hosting (other than File Planet). Honestly, their FTP servers are more stable than the current providers (more instances, and longer timeouts) and their infrastructure I like better. I got a lot more freedome here, and none of those damn banners. The forced ad pages a la IGN were just too fucking much. They even load in the preview window when replying. :(

BTW -- where's your site? I'm drawing a blank.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:32 am

So you're gone for a couple of days and then this happens! :D

Congrats, GP, everything looks real spiffy and IKEA-esque, very cool indeed!

Is "gamengai" a pun on "gamin' guy"? Cuz I figure that's what most Americans would pronounce it as. :D

I was gonna run some errands today, but it's been pissing down like crazy, so I might actually sit down and and write up a couple of games, like I promised a while back. :)
Last edited by CIT Seven Force on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:23 am

Is "gamengai" a pun on "gamin' guy"? Cuz I figure that's what most Americans would pronounce it like. :D

200% the opposite. I really didn't think of that until like a day ago, until it was too late. I figure most of the visitors here will understand what it is.

I was gonna run some errands today, but it's been pissing down like crazy, so I might actually sit down and and write up a couple of games, like I promised a while back. :)

It would be most welcomed. Raining here a lot as well. O_o

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:09 pm

What? You mean that wasn't supposed to be a pun?

CDoty
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby CDoty » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:37 pm

Heretic! :o

Oh, you mean the site! :?
Looking for a new game for the Genesis, Sega CD, SNES, Neo Geo CD, FM Towns, Philips CD-I, Dreamcast, Atari Jaguar/Jaguar CD, TG-16/CD, X68000 or, CD32?

Check out my Frog Feast game:
http://frogfeast.rastersoft.net

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:12 pm

For nasty anti-Japanese troglodites (I didn't mention TNL!) it will be a pun on "gamin' ghey" but who cares?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:50 pm

There's no pun intended in the title. It's a Japanese word, hence, the kanji.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:06 am

"outside the screen"?

Shadow
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Shadow » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:37 pm

Hey GP, always surprised to see the changes and effort going on here... way to go dude ;-)

love it... would love to contribute when I have some more spare time.... and of course planning to go to japan again

cheers from tiny Switzerland (which will win todays soccer match btw :) )

Shadow

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:47 pm

Hey Shadow!

Nice to see you make it. Good luck to Switzerland in the World Cup. America tied Italy. I can't believe it!

Anyways, anytime you can contribute to the site, let me know. Always looking to expand.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”