Recommendations for the next PCE RPG that I'll play.

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Recommendations for the next PCE RPG that I'll play.

Postby Azazel » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:12 am

Subject should just about say it all Don't list any games that were released in english or games written entirely in kana. If any one knows of any that are relatively easy to play and understand like Star Breaker that is always a plus. :D I've beat these ones but I'm pretty open to anything else. Dragon Slayer Legend of Heroes 1 Emerald Dragon Popful Mail Legend of Xanadu 1, 2 Star Breaker Startling Odyssey 1(close to beating.) Xak 1, 2, 3 XZR 1, 2 Ys 1, 2, 3, 4

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:13 am

Well, I guess the obvious one is Startling Odyssey II, which I hear is a lot longer than the first. Yuki from PC-Engine Paradise said it's about twice as long. Ruin and Alshark are probably the two I've wanted to try out the most, but never got around to it. I know you've given Ruin a whirl, so you would know better than I. What about Xak Gaiden? That's a good action RPG.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:53 am

I've tried Fray twice in the past and I haven't beaten it yet? I might give it a try later although I'd rather try out Tower of Gazzle as it's the other Xak Gaiden and I haven't given it a go yet. It's Also only on the MSX, unlike all the other Xak games that are on the PC Engine cd. Going by your logic for Startling Odyssey 2 than it would only take me 55 tgo 60 hours to finish. I think I need something a little shorter. Although it would be interesting if it's related at all to Startling Odyssey 1 or if it's like Final Fantasy and each game has nothing to do with the last one? Ruin looked alright to pretty good. I only played through the first town and did a few battles. I know a few people who couldn't figure out how to get out of the first town because of the language barrier. You basically have to go next door and girl is going to help you clean out the attic. You go there, she not there and than you go to your house and clean out the attic with her. You find some item in attic, think it was some kind of map. There was another step I'm forgetting and than you leave the town. There like a hidden place in the lower left hand part of town you have to go to to leave the first town. I tried this quite a few month ago so my memory of it isn't that great. It's quite samilair to Xak 1 that I know few people who couldn't get past the first town.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:01 am

Oh I almost forgot about Alshark. I did try this one once as well. Battles were nothing special from what I remember. All I really remember was that you were going to investigate this meteror which was against your father wishes. It has some things in common with Phantasy Star and Star Breaker, which is why I might give it a try someday. There's only really good Japanese site that has a full walkthrough for it. I could probably try to find a link for it if your interested? I'd also like to try some of those other unknown RPGS like La Valeur, Monbit Legend of Saint Dragon, Astralius etc too.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:08 am

Azazel wrote:I'd rather try out Tower of Gazzle as it's the other Xak Gaiden and I haven't given it a go yet. It's Also only on the MSX, unlike all the other Xak games that are on the PC Engine cd.
Never heard of it. Is it Xak Gaiden like Fray (IE -- a bit more cutesy than the other Xak's) or is it closer to the Xak games. Seems interesting.
Going by your logic for Startling Odyssey 2 than it would only take me 55 tgo 60 hours to finish.
This is what Yuki told me in an email, and has stated in his Startling Odyssey II walkthru. I'm not sure how, but the main character is a descendent of the main character from Startling Odyssey I. So, probably closer to Phantasy Star continuity rather than Final Fantasy. I'll probably give Alshark a chance at one point, but I"ve not been able to find one reasonably priced. I'm sure one will turn up sometime.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:08 pm

I think the Xak game is more like the other Xak games and not like Fray. I haven't actually tried it out yet so I can't say for sure. Actually I did try out Startling Odyssey 2 a while back. I remember the one person looked like Leon from part 1, so that is why I mentioned it. I generally perfer that the games are related to each other but than that is just me.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:18 am

I read about it somewhere, but can't recall exactly. The little blurb about it on Yuki's site says that the story takes place some 250 years after "The Advent of the Evil God" which I can only assume was SO1. That's also where Yuki says that it's about twice as long as SO1, and his guide is useful if you only play on the weekends. I don't know if I could handle a game that long.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:12 am

I personally probably can't handle Japanese games of that length. US games I could do it if it's something I really want to play and can play it through emulation with frame skipping. part of the problem with playing PC Engine stuff is Magic Engine doesn't have frame skipping. You have to use either Yame or Hugo and Hugo does't work on my computer. So there are several games that I can't play like Seiyu Monogatari, Gulliver Boy, Legend of Xanadu 2 etc. I think I'm going to try out Alshark next. At least there's one good guide for the game in case I get stuck somewhere. Hopefully this isn't a 50 hour game.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:30 am

How about Macross Eternal Love song? I know its more of a tactical strategy game but its one of my favs(stuck on last level :x ) I like the PCE Wizardry games myself.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:42 am

I think I tried playing Macross like 3 or 4 years ago. Don't remember it very well anymore. It's set up very much like Langrisser which can never be a bad thing. Although it just didn't hold my interest. If I'm going to play any of the stretegy/RPGs it's going to be Louga 2. It's probably the best one for the system besides Langrisser. As for Wizardy I've never been a big fan of them, although I did play some of them back in the day. I'm actually kind of taking a break from RPGs for a while. IJ just wanted to get some ideas for when I go back to them. I did briefly play around with Alshark and Ruin the past few days.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:22 pm

Is Louga2 for the PCE? I have never heard of it before.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:09 am

Yea there are 2 Louga games on the PC Engine. I think the full title of the second one is Louga 2 The Ends of Shangrilia or something. The second is basically one of the only Shining Force kind of games on the system. It was also made towards the end of the PC Engine lifespan. So it's graphics and video are some of the better for the system. It's also kind of hard to find. Mr. Gaijin can hopefully back me up on this? I paid $5.00 for Louga 1 and $25.00-$30.00 for Louga 2 sealed. Although the second can command like $50.00 on Ebay if it ever shows up. If you like Stretegy titles it's probably worth getting as the PC Engine doesn't have a lot of stretegy or stretegy/RPGs for the system

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:13 am

There is a Louga on ebay for a BIN of $17.50. I might have to scoop it. I love strategy/rpg's. How is the language barrier in both games?

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:23 am

I only briefly tried out Louga 1 a few years ago and only played like the first battle or so so I have no idea on how import friendly it is. I can't comment much on Louga as I don't think I own that one anymore. For Louga 2 it has kind of long FMV to start the game off. There some dialogue between characters but probably no where near as much as there is for the Langrisser games. I played about 2 or 3 levels if I remember right. There might of been FMV between the levels/scenarios but I don't remeber anymore. Oh and also the menus are mostly or all Kanji from what remember. The menus shouldn't be that hard to figure out. You can probably easily play through it kind of like with Shining Force or Langrisser but you'll miss out on the story.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:24 pm

$17.50 seems a bit high, although I've not checked Ebay for ages. $10 seems much fairer to me. Most of those Ebay buyers don't realize that it's a buyers market, not a sellers. From what I know, the game isn't very import friendly.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:27 pm

Yea that price might be a bit high but than I haven't seen either Louga on Ebay for while, not that I check it regularly or anything. I can remember a time when I saw a Renny Blaster on Ebay that no one bid on that had a opening bid price for $15.00 that I forgot to bid on. Both games might not be the most import friendly but at least stretegy and stretegy/RPGs you don't have to worry about what to do, or figure out where you need to go next as generally they it's just battle after battle or sometimes they have dialogue or FMV between levels or scenarios. No where near as bad as regular RPGs

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:56 am

That's hillarious. $15 and nobody bid on it? When I used to sell a lot on Ebay, I'd put some rare games up there, and they'd finish for like $5 b/c nobody knew what they were. I bought an import Courier Crisis (Saturn) for like $3. It was missing the back insert, but complete the game runs like $50-$60 bucks in Japan. I was able to sell mine for about $25.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:38 am

@Azazel As Long as I can play the battles I am happy with importing strategy/rpg's Macross ELS was a easy and fun game to play even though I had no clue what was going on in the story.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:05 am

Yea no one bid on that Renny Blaster. At least it's a sub par game so I'm not missing out on much. If it was Dracula X or Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari or something than I would be really kicking myself. I remember seeing Courier Crisis at a local store that use to sell import form time to time as well take requests if your lucky. When I saw it I thought it was one of the most ugly horrible games I saw. I never got it and didn't think it would be worth any money. I saw one on Ebay with a buy it now price which someone jumped all over. As for Louga 1 you should hopefully be able to play it fine but without actually being able to play it again I can't say for certain. I know Louga 2 is easiest enough to play.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:57 am

The Courier Crisis I bought actually got no bids for $3.80 or so. I bought it when it was re-listed, from a Japanse seller of all places. Played it, hated it, listed it for 100 yen on yahoo Japan and got 2500 or so for it. ;)

Gustav XIII
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Star Breaker

Postby Gustav XIII » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:14 am

> Azazel : Could you please describe more precisely Star Breaker ? I am very interested in this RPG.

I know there is already a brief description of this game on gamengai, but I would like to know more about the story, the characters, the battle mode, the musics... I could not find a review on Internet. Thanks.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:23 am

It's pretty typical Ray Force stuff. I'm blanking out on the story, but the main character is the blonde guy on the cover (yes, it's a guy) named Harry. You get 3 more characters along the way. The flow of the game is you go to a solar system, and do a few mazes on each of the few planets in that solar system.

The battle system can get a bit repetive. There are different elements (fire, ice) that your weapons can have. Some enemies are completely immune to either.

There's some cinematic intermissions in a few spots, and even show some skin...even though there's no 18+ warning.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:55 am

I'd also love to know something. Has anyone played Alnam no Kiba, Alnam no Tsubasa and Startling Odyssey 1 on the PS? Are they direct ports from the PCE versions or they originated on the PC instead? Are they good?

Gustav XIII
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Gustav XIII » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:42 pm

> Gaijin Punch : Many thanks.

With the cover it was guessable the game shows some female skin.

Regarding the musics, is there a lot of CD tunes or is there more PSG tunes ?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:08 pm

Gustav: Don't recall much about the music, other than that it's rather cheesy. I hate most game music though, so consider that.

Recap: Not sure about Alnam no Kiba, but AFAIK, Tsubasa is an actual sequel, not a remake. I could be wrong though. Startling Odyssey as well is not a port, but a remake. The were planning on porting both Startling Odyssey's, plus doing a third on both the Playstation and Saturn. I assume sales of the first PS version sucked so they bailed out of the rest on both systems.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”