[PS3] PS3 region free?

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[PS3] PS3 region free?

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:29 am

IGN says so. I'll believe it when I see it. I might not have to pay a huge shipping fee to get a PS3 now.. although I'm sure the Japanese box will be better.

Platypus Stan
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Platypus Stan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:41 am

Yeah, I'm waiting for clarification on this one. And I'm not expecting it, but I'd be overjoyed if it applied to backwards compatibility too.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:19 pm

Sounds excellent! Now, hopefully the publishers themselves won't be asses and put some region-specific keepouts...

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:50 am

Platypus Stan wrote:Yeah, I'm waiting for clarification on this one. And I'm not expecting it, but I'd be overjoyed if it applied to backwards compatibility too.

I'd be doing backflips if both your suggestions were true :D I vowed never to buy a system again at launch after the N64 :P but I might consider it with the PS3 ;)

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby layzee » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:19 am

As far as I know, the region-free feature will NOT apply to PS1 and PS2 games.

Furthermore, it has been speculated that due to certain limitations, NTSC U/C (US) and JP (Japan) PS3 games will NOT work on PAL (Europe) Playstation 3 systems, even though NTSC U/C and JP games work on each others' consoles (i.e. Europe gets shafted).

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:04 pm

For me, it's way too iffy to buy one at launch based on this info. A US console that plays Japanese games and US DVDs would be ideal, regardless of where I live, but I don't think I'll be picking one up at launch. See my "no good games" complaint all over the internet.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:50 pm

Dude, even if Sony confirmed this news themselves, I wouldn't buy the PS3 at launch knowing how durable the initial batches from the 2 previous PS's were.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:34 pm

We all know Sony's record when it comes to producing a product without flaws :roll: I agree with Gaijin's assesment on the launch titles lack of quality too.

Aussie2B
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Aussie2B » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:07 pm

Needless to say, I'm quite skeptical about this, but if it ends up being true, it would definitely help me out a great deal. I already have a Japanese PS2 for all of my Japanese PS1 and PS2 gaming needs, but I imagine sooner or later tri-Ace will make a game on PS3 that I'll have to buy immediately, which would mean I would need a Japanese PS3 and eventually a US PS3 if there is region protection. Just buying one US model like I'm planning to do with the PSP would be nice.

Heck, I still can't play my US PS2 games unless I borrow my bro-in-law's PS2 because I've yet to buy my own US model.

Spadger
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Spadger » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:36 am

Seems Europe always gets the back end of the deal. I had to shell out a massive 90 Euro to get my PS2 modified to play import games, and I sure won't be paying that to get a PS3 modified. It's tough because I enjoy my japanese shooters and American RPGs, and I can't afford to buy 3 consoles for these and for domestic releases. I reckon i'll just hoard enough PS2 games to get me through the next generation of consoles.

Anyway, I still reckon Sony's going to reconsider this one...

Return to “Japanese Video Games”