[PS2] Shining Wind

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[PS2] Shining Wind

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:46 am

Famitsu has posted some images of some characters in Sega's upcoming Shining Wind. For those that ignored the first announcement, the game is a sequel to the very underwhelming Shining Tears. It does feature beautiful high res sprites like it's predecessor. No word yet if it has the incredibly monotonous gameplay and horrible loading times which killed the first. I would hope not.

SixtyHertz
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby SixtyHertz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:38 pm

I actually really like shining tears. It still has a sort of cult following actually. It wasn't as good as the underrated and pretty much ignored Shining Soul 2 by Suda51 (killer 7 fame)... but still i love the partner system in the game. Shining Neo was the underwhelming one to me, but i haven't really gave it as much attention... anyway the character designer for SHining Tears/Wind is amazing... i'm looking forward to this one... (am i the only one????)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:51 pm

I translated an interview w/ the character designer on the main page, if you haven't seen it yet. I think the graphics and premise of the game aren't bad. What I don't like is it's repetitiveness mainly, although matched with the difficulty ramp of the game is what really makes it painful. the loading times are of course pretty poor as well. If they would've done a more traditional route, I think it would've been great.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:55 pm

Waiting for it, but they need to realize that 2D action RPGs have to use digital controls instead of analog shit. Arcade sticks are perfect even for this genre.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:09 pm

I agree, but I have no clue how you'd control the 2nd character w/ an arcade stick.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:00 pm

I think one of the things I read somewhere is that SW is not the sequel to Tears, despite being developed by the same team. So, with luck, you won't have to control two characters simultaneously, which sounds especially silly, BTW. Another thing was the loading times would be minimized.

And here I am still thinking about if I should sell my sealed Shining Tears copy...

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:36 pm

All this Shining talk makes me wonder when,if ever, will we see another Shining Force game? ;)

videolamer
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby videolamer » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Sega doesn't care about the Shining series. The name sells so they attatch it to games. They will not reconcile with Camelot, nor will they develop the Shining titles in house. They will not make another Force because they don't think turn based SRPGs sell as much as action RPGs.
www.videolamer.com
Editorials, articles and reviews with a soft spot for the hardcore and obscure.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:28 am

New characters in the 04.21 issue of Famitsu.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”