[PS2] Okami -- 2 more days!

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[PS2] Okami -- 2 more days!

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:49 am

G-Para has posted a little article on Capcom's now finished game Okami, developed by Clover Studio.

The highlights of the article are:
-The overall bright-theme of Okami came about when Kamitani saw the very dark-themed remake of Biohazard next door to where he was working on Viewtiful Joe.

-It was originally drawn with real images, with a similar theme of greenery, but one day in chats with the development team, they decided to go on the Japanese Painting style approach.

-The promotion video at Clover Studio's announcement convention was not in-game footage, but was made with video editing software.

-Okami was at one point not going to be a game per se, but eventually came to be as the development staff through around different ideas which later became key features in the game.

-There were apparently quite a few hardships to overcome, and the development process was a very long one.

I for one am glad to see Capcom doing something very different. I wonder if Clover Studio can give the ICO crew a run for their money.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:02 am

My copy shipped yesterday from PA.com, so hopefully I'll get it by the end of next week. Looking forward to it, though I won't have much time to play it until summer. :cry:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:08 pm

Got it in the mail today. I put in a good 3 hours. Beautiful game. I never thought I'd see something so creative out of Capcom! There's many interesting articles and interviews about how they came up w/ the idea. It was actually very round-a-bout from what I gather. 2 years development time.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:03 pm

Okay, beat this. A bit over 40 hours, and the first time I've beaten a game of such volume in just over a week. Such games usually take me a month! Anyways, beautiful, even though it's very easy. Buy this game.

I'll be posting some background and a review soon.

EDIT; Soundtrack goes on sale 05.31, for 3780 yen.

Arznei
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Arznei » Mon May 01, 2006 2:18 pm

I've been following Clover's site for a very, very long time. I'm aware that this is released in japan, but everyone (mainly gamespot) has been saying that it's very text based, and that it's basically a Zelda RPG type of game.

Which is kind of depressing. There's RPGs out there with little story and are import friendly, but I really don't feel like importing such a beautiful game and literally being lost in translation.

Easy for you though, since you know japanese. Ah well, there's going to be a PAL release in september, guess I'll wait until then. Heh.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 01, 2006 7:27 pm

Here's some more info on it:
Review & Background

It is very wordy, but I think it's still enjoyable with a guide. It is very Zelda-ish, but let's face it, there's not a lot of games that have immitated any Zelda game.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Tue May 02, 2006 7:29 am

This just arrived today. Just popped it in and watched the intro, playing just a couple minutes at the start. Looks very cool, very wind-waker-ish in graphic style. Looking forward to playing it in a couple weeks when I have some time! :)

aerithhime
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby aerithhime » Thu May 04, 2006 4:09 am

This game look beautiful. I can't wait to play it.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”