Goodbye Soft

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Goodbye Soft

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 08, 2006 5:04 am

Bighab was gracious enough to lend me his Goodbye Soft book, which has info on a lot of MegaDrive games that were unfortunately axed. There's a link to a translation of it as well for those that are interested. Pretty cool stuff.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon May 08, 2006 1:19 pm

Thanks to you and Bighab. That's some interesting stuff there. Dennin Aleste 2 would've been awesome (odd that the book doesn't seem to know about Compile's ZXZ).

Also strange that there's no mention of Estopolis/Lufia for the MD considering that game even had advertisements before it was canned (unless of course, you felt that was too obvious to include on that list).

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon May 08, 2006 3:53 pm

Yes, many thanks to Bighab, and to GP (again) for translating this, ofcourse.
Anyway, were there no screenshots inside the book (I have a Moon Dancer related picture from a magazine, if that's of interest to anyone)?

Dais
Resident Fuck You
Resident Fuck You

Postby Dais » Wed May 10, 2006 9:45 am

I hate to reappear after blissful silence to ask annoying questions, but games that have been cancelled is an area of particular interest to me (I suppose the tragedy of unfinished/unreleased projects appeals to my quiet emotional distress over the various missed opportunities of my life).

Therefore, I have a few brief (or not so brief) questions:

1. What exactly is the format that the information is in? Is it given in small paragraphs of information under game-name headings, or are there small "fact sheets" with developer/genre/etcetra? Does it vary depending on game? Are there screens for any of the games? (as zinger also asked)

2. Was there any information on who the developer for "Devil Buster" was? The fact that it was once called "Majin Tensei" and inspired by SMT has kind of left me startled.

3. Is there a clear seperation of which consoles games were to be released for - Genesis/Mega Drive on the first page and SegaCD on the second (followed by 32x, clearly marked)? It seems that way, but a few descriptions are somewhat confusing:

Page one: "Mick & Mack: An action platformer or the Genesis in which you collected McDonald's logos. The Genesis version was also cancelled.*

Page two: "Sister Sonic: An Action RPG by Sega that was going to put the Sonic world into the Popful Mail engine. The game was originally intended for the western market, but the Japanese version would also be released by Sega Falcom, with subtitles. Incidentally the Sega CD version was also canned, without any sketches or screens released."

(see how I'm a bit confused? I suppose the latter is a Mega CD/Sega CD difference....)

Please don't think that I'm trying to be critical of what you've done - I very much appreciate the information you've provided and shall try my best to make the most of it.

*come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that a Sega Genesis strategy magazine I owned at one time had a bunch of stuff on this game. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I lost it forever years ago.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 10, 2006 12:29 pm

Also strange that there's no mention of Estopolis/Lufia for the MD

Indeed, did not see it. Double-checked even.

(I have a Moon Dancer related picture from a magazine, if that's of interest to anyone)?

Yeah, I'd like to see it.

1. What exactly is the format that the information is in? Is it given in small paragraphs of information under game-name headings,

It's got some type of screen, although most screens were of different versions, or sometimes just question marks. Very few worth looking at. Couldn't scan the inside pages w/o damaging it anyway. It lists genre and publisher for each game as well, and retail price & cart size if known.

2. Was there any information on who the developer for "Devil Buster" was?

Sims

3. Is there a clear seperation of which consoles games were to be released for - Genesis/Mega Drive on the first page and SegaCD on the second (followed by 32x, clearly marked)?

Yes. They're divided into sections as you've listed above, although games that were released on the Genesis but not MegaDrive (or SegaCD but not MegaCD) are not in any order.

(see how I'm a bit confused? I suppose the latter is a Mega CD/Sega CD difference....)

Yeah. Look on page two. See the "MegaCD"...there's supposed to be two newline characters after that, meaning "everything down from here is MegaCD" but it got mangled. I will need to fix that. Too bad the new providers interface tools suck so bad. I will get on it though when I add the Moon Dancer info. For now, off to bed.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Wed May 10, 2006 1:10 pm

Glad everyone enjoyed the book :D . Big thanx to GP for translating and posting the info on his site ;)
Their were no spectacular screen shots in the book I am sad to say. They were all black/white too. There were quite a few MD games that never got a Japan release that I recognize as being released in NorthAmerica.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed May 10, 2006 5:05 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:
(I have a Moon Dancer related picture from a magazine, if that's of interest to anyone)?

Yeah, I'd like to see it.

Someone at Assambler posted it a long time ago:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/zzaak/moondancer.jpg

PCEngine_Hunter
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby PCEngine_Hunter » Sun May 14, 2006 1:44 pm

I dont know about a US release but "Mick and Mack" certainly got a PAL release. Seeing lists like this always makes me sad :( All those games that should have come out on the MD/M-CD that were canned, stupid Sega should have moved the games they canned to the Saturn. The Saturn list of axed games is just as depressing.

I have a magazine with some shots of M-CD Merry-Go-Round if you want them, although I am on university exchange in Japan untill the end of the year....

DC906270-BIL
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby DC906270-BIL » Sun May 14, 2006 3:08 pm

what games were on the Saturn list?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 14, 2006 11:43 pm

Don't visit the main page much, do ya?
link

EDIT: Whoops... what the hell are those numbers doing in there?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”