[PS3] PS3 Prices

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[PS3] PS3 Prices

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 09, 2006 1:48 am

Sony announced PS3 pricing structure. There will be two versions. A 20GB version and a 60GB version.

20GB version in Japan will run roughly 60,000 yen, while the 60GB version will have an open price (my guess is 10,000 yen more). Release date is 11.11.

NA and European releases will follow 6 days later on 11.17 w/ the following prices.

20GB version $499 in NA, and 499 Euros Europe
60GB version $599 and 599 Euroes in Europe

Once again, Europe gets fucked.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Wed May 10, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Tue May 09, 2006 6:43 am

I'll buy one, probably the $600 pack as it has wifi and some other frills (the $500 one does not). It's nice that it plays all PS1, 2, & 3 games. Saves some space on my game rack. Looking forward to FFXIII and VF5.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 09, 2006 8:38 am

I'm worried about the controller compatibility. Surely they won't limit people to using only PS3-friendly controllers...espeically if they want to win over the fighting game crowd.

I'm also worried about how it'll handle PS1 & PS2 emulation, whether it will support low res signals. It's very likely it won't, but proper emulation of PS1 & PS2 games is the only reason it would. Assuming they require everyone to fully support 16:9 720p and 4:3 480i simultaneously spells certain doom for some ports of arcade games (other than Lindberg). In theory, it's easy to do w/ polygons, but sprites? Forget about it.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Tue May 09, 2006 7:55 pm

I don't plan on picking up a PS3 till at least a few years after its release. Price is a factor, but its more because I still have so many other games I still need to track down.
Stronger then your average deadite

Von-Zipper
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Re: [PS3]縲

Postby Von-Zipper » Wed May 10, 2006 7:25 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:20GB version $499 in NA, and 499 Euros Europe
60GB version $599 and 599 Euroes in Europe

Once again, Europe gets fucked.

So in japan, 499/599 yens ? And once again 40 extra GB = 100 euros exactly. It seems they don't want to bother with complicated figures : it's maybe easier for $ony accounts department.

Fuck you Ken

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 10, 2006 9:28 pm

Japanese prices are actually a bit more at the current exchange rate. The yen actually went to the 110 area in the last week or so, which makes it even more expensive. 59,000 and "open" are the prices. If shops are smart, the deluxe pack will be no more than 69,000.

DC906270-BIL
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby DC906270-BIL » Thu May 11, 2006 5:55 pm

i think id pay $400 for one, if the games appealed to me. would be prepared to wait a year or two to get a better price.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri May 12, 2006 1:51 am

I'm sure I won't get one until about a year or more after release. The price is definitely an issue, but I'm also never that impressed with launch titles, whereas a system usually gets some really good releases late in it's life, so I'm still watching the PS2.

I'll probably get a 360 this year though, although it doesn't look like the XB titles I still wanted to play (JSR Future, Orta, Otogi) are 360 compatible (yet). :x

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri May 12, 2006 3:41 am

2 of the 3 reasons I still have my Xbox (whch I almost never play). Really wish developers picked up on the JSR magic. Cartoony cell-shading, plus a soundtrack that requires more than a $50 Yamaha keyboard and obnoxious J-pop singer = goodness. :(

While price is an issue, I can't really moan. I've paid several fold over a PS3 title for a game I've really wanted, knowing it would go straight down in price. That being said, if the games were there that would really keep me content at launch, I'd buy it. They aren't though, and likely won't be. On that note, I can't remember the last launch that made me excited. Probably Altered Beast on the Megadrive/Genesis, and Super Mario Land on the SFC.

layzee
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Australian PS3 Prices

Postby layzee » Fri May 12, 2006 5:48 pm

http://au.playstation.com/news/ps3_rele ... rmed.jhtml

PS3 will be launched in Australa (in "Clear Black" colour) on November 17th, in two configurations - choose between a 20GB hard disk drive (HDD) or 60GB version, priced at 829 and 999 $AUD respectively.

W...T....F! :o

At $1.00 AUD = $0.77 USD, it's $640 USD and $770 USD respectively! Converted to Euro currency, it's 499 and 599 respectively (as stated in Gaijin's opening post). I highly doubt the average Australian would want to spend (or can afford) $1000 on a video game console. Not sure about Britain's GBP prices, but it's probably similar.

Looks like Australia (and AUD) goes by Europe's prices as well... (i.e. FUCKED) Following the PS2 trend, I imagine PS3 games would be overpriced as well, when compared to their American counterparts. So Sony, why the fuck are we paying significantly more?

Then again, Australia (and perhaps Europe) is an insignificant little PAL market. I guess Sony would want to screw us out of as much $$$ as they possibly can to make us worth their while...

Assuming the value of the AUD reaches/stays at a reasonably high level, it will probably be cheaper to import the PS3 than to buy locally, even with shipping prices accounted for.

Wow. Just wow.

Arznei
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Arznei » Sat May 13, 2006 1:58 am

So basically, Europe, Australia and New Zealand are all ruined by the high price of the PS3.

Well, that's way too much money. Think of the amount of PS2 games you could buy with that. I'm going to be waiting a looooooong time before getting a PS3 if they don't decide to drop their prices after launch.

SAM
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby SAM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:46 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I'm worried about the controller compatibility. Surely they won't limit people to using only PS3-friendly controllers...espeically if they want to win over the fighting game crowd.

Well I just want to keep using my Hori RAP. I hate games that require you to use a dual shock 2. One day I might just gut the PCB from the Dual Shock 2 and put it inside the Hori RAP.

Gaijin Punch wrote:I'm also worried about how it'll handle PS1 & PS2 emulation, whether it will support low res signals. It's very likely it won't, but proper emulation of PS1 & PS2 games is the only reason it would. Assuming they require everyone to fully support 16:9 720p and 4:3 480i simultaneously spells certain doom for some ports of arcade games (other than Lindberg). In theory, it's easy to do w/ polygons, but sprites? Forget about it.

If they just upscan everything internally, I guess the result might just be okay. The problem with PS2 MushiHimeSame and Ibara is just it upscan it internally and interlance it back to TV resulation. So the screen become a mess on a RGB monitor. If you could get the upscaned image within, you could have a better picture on an PC monitor.

Unless my Desktop PC broken, I don't see any need for me to buy a PS3 (for internet access). And if Wii got internet browser function, I would not not even consider buying a PS3 less 90% off the current price.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Games for Sale/Trade *Meow*
My Wanted Game List *Meow*

Return to “Japanese Video Games”