Absolutely Must-have shooters

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

pancakesandsex
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Absolutely Must-have shooters

Postby pancakesandsex » Wed May 10, 2006 6:18 pm

Lookign for a list of absolutely must have shooters for the following systems: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn.

Please give a little description of your reccomendation.

I already have:
ps2:
Espgaluda
Gradius V
Shikigami no Shiro 2 (the awfully dubbed US ver, hillarious)

Saturn
Darius Gaiden

DC
Bangaioh

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Wed May 10, 2006 8:59 pm

PS2:
Ibara - Made by Cave but feels like Raizing, and its just insane.
DoDonPachi Dai Oh Jou - Pure bullet hell bliss.
Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princess (doesn't do much that the original TSS doesn't but its still fun and far cheaper then any version of the original) Oh and the AES ROM version is included on the disc as well.

Other then that there are a ton of rereleases and retro packs. I haven't played them though, since I've already got most of them on other systems.

Saturn:
Too many to list, personal favorites though are Cotton 2, Battle Garegga, Soukyugurentai, and Hyper Duel.

It would help a lot if you specified what type of shooter you are looking for (horis, verts, manic, old-school, etc).
Stronger then your average deadite

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 10, 2006 9:27 pm

There's quite a few on both systems.

Saturn: Loads... Radiant Silvergun, Batsugun, and Hyper Duel probably being my favorites.

DC: Border Down, Gigawing 2, and Under Defeat come to mind.

PS2: All the Cave games have been mentioned except for Mushihime-sama. A few of the more recent ones are good, but ugly.

pancakesandsex
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby pancakesandsex » Wed May 10, 2006 10:57 pm

i was kinda bored by border down, it felt really bland, despite the interesting system when you die.

I plan on acquiring all the cave games eventually, esp. Ibara and DDPDOJ

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 10, 2006 11:02 pm

Keep in mind that DOJ is painfully difficult. It's unreal actually. Ibara is not much better, although if you put time into learning the goofy rank system, a 1CC is not impossible.

Arznei
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Arznei » Wed May 10, 2006 11:51 pm

Ikaruga, Mushihimesama. I wouldn't recommend Ibara if you, er, suck at shooting games. I find it more annoying than DOJ.

pancakesandsex
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby pancakesandsex » Thu May 11, 2006 3:11 am

i am not that good at them, but i'm a glutton for pain if it also gives me nice visuals and great music. Im playing darius gaiden right now, and i think im better at espgaluda than i am at that.

I need to find battle garegga for cheap, like under 60$ cheap, if anyone sees a copy around toss a link my way‾, i know the odds are slim.

ikaruga i feel is overrated, i played the "internet trial edition" back before i really started importing games (in general) on DC, it was pretty, but got boring pretty fast, something tells me i'd feel the same way about radiant silvergun, so im not really planning on blowing over 100$ on that anytime soon.

back to cave games:
ive had the opportunity to see / try just about ever cave shooter, im not the best at them, i can usually get to level 2-3 on one credit, but man are they fun to play. Slicker the presentation, better the music, the less i care about sucking.
is there a console version of dangun feveron anywhere?

Arznei
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Arznei » Thu May 11, 2006 4:48 am

Never gonna happen.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 11, 2006 5:25 am

Mame or PCB is the only way to play it at this point. Ikaruga is good, but it is indeed a pattern game... way more so than any of the crazy Cave games. There are some unpredictable bullets in the latter ones, requiring some adlib on top of patterns.

DC906270-BIL
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby DC906270-BIL » Thu May 11, 2006 5:48 pm

yeah, Ikaruga and RS are boring shmups

if you like instant/arcadey type shmups i recommend

Raiden 3 - PS2
Batsugun - Saturn
Shienryu (THE DOUBLE SHOOTING!)- PS2

if you like rank-based shmups

Battle Garegga
Ibara

are both awesome

seems you already know the cave games

if you like starting stages over and over again play Psikyo games. Strikers games are probably the best. many people rate Dragon Blaze but im not so keen myself. many Psikyo games seem inter-changeable to me too.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu May 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Nobody goin' to tell the guy that Ibara, Mushi, TSS, Psikyo games, etc. all look like shit on the PS2?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 11, 2006 11:20 pm

No other option for those specific games at this point though.... well, not really an affordable one (for most).

Arznei
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Arznei » Fri May 12, 2006 1:06 am

Recap wrote:Nobody goin' to tell the guy that Ibara, Mushi, TSS, Psikyo games, etc. all look like shit on the PS2?

They look fine in TATE mode.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri May 12, 2006 1:24 am

If you're just starting with shooters, it's probably a good idea to explore them according to developer. See what style klicks with you and which one doesn't. Maybe check them out in MAME first, etc.

Some major developers:

Konami
Gradius series and lots of games similar to Gradius like the parody Parodius series.
Picks:
- Gradius V (PS2)
- Salamander Deluxe Pack (PSX, SAT)

Irem
Lots of hard as bones oldschool tactical shooters with high addiction, as well as frustration factor. Kind of love-em or hate-em, although even the people who love them seem to be in kind of a love-hate relationship with them. :D
Picks:
- R-Types (R-Type I&II), PSX
- R-Type Delta, PSX
- Image Fight & X-Multiply, SAT, PSX

Toaplan
Masters of the straightforward, no-frills blast & bomb concept. Batsugun was their last game and really set the stage for later bullet hell games. A bunch of Toaplan staff later went to Cave.
Picks:
- Batsugun, SAT
- Toaplan Shooting Battle (Tiger Heli & Kyuukyoku Tiger), PSX

Raizing
Complex score shooters that adjust the difficulty quite radically according to your performance. Some people swear by them some people hate them. Either way, they're always really nice to look at. Head programmer Shinobu Yagawa now works with Cave, where he made the Raizing-inspired Ibara.
Picks:
- Battle Garegga, SAT
- Soukyuugurentai, SAT
- Ibara (Cave), PS2

Cave
Well, you already know about them. Their most enjoable ones on console would be, IMO:
- Dodonpachi, PSX
- Espgaluda, PS2

Psikyo
Super fast, simplistic games that require you to memorize bullet patterns. Psikyo were really prolific and a ton of games abound on all platforms. Some claim they essentially just made the same game over and over again, only with different graphics.
Picks:
- Strikers 1945 II, PSX
- Sengoku Blade, SAT
- Zero Gunner 2, DC

Takumi
Manic score shooters, were dodging is often impossible, instead one needs to use a well-timed bullet reflector. Probably the best current arcade shooter developers next to Cave.
Picks:
- Mars Matrix, DC
- Giga Wing, DC

Taito & G.Rev
Lots of really atmospheric and dark shooters. Layer Section (Rayforce) really broke a lot of ground in terms of score-play, and IMO it's the finest Shooter on Saturn (and luckily also the cheapest). When Taito stopped developing arcade shooters some staff split off and formed G.Rev to continue the legacy.
Picks:
- Layer Section, SAT
- G.Darius, PSX
- Border Down (GRev), DC
- Under Defeat (GRev), DC

Tecnosoft
Fast and super-smooth oldschool action. Everybody knows Thunderforce right?
Picks:
- Hyper Duel, SAT
- Thunderforce V, SAT, PSX

Treasure
Well you know about them and their 2 shooters.

Seibu Kaihatsu
Makers of the Raiden series - and only the Raiden series. Pretty playable games, but I don't really understand what the hype is about. Ton of better games around.
Picks:
- Raiden Project (Raiden I&II), PSX
- Raiden DX (basically Raiden II with am awesome scoring system), PSX
- Shienryu (developed by Warashi, supposedly ex-Seibu staff? Anyway, this is a lot mor awesome than any of the Raidens, IMO), SAT, PS2

Other

- Einhänder, PSX
Probably the best shooter on Playstation. Developed by Square of all people. Really atmospheric, technical and memory based, but also has some cool scoring tricks.

- Harmful Park, PSX
Awesome Cute 'Em Up with superb 2D graphics and gameplay.

- Twinkle Star Sprites, SAT, DC, PS2
Ported from Neo Geo. Has the revolutionary concept of a Vs. Shooter. Tons of fun playing against a friend. A Must-Have!

- Psyvariar series, DC, PS2, XB
Amazing psychedelic bullet patterns and score-play involving "scratching" bullets as closely as possible.

...man, that was long. Well, I hope this helps you in exploring the genre. :)

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri May 12, 2006 1:29 am

Arznei wrote:

Not really.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri May 12, 2006 1:43 am

Arznei wrote:
Recap wrote:Nobody goin' to tell the guy that Ibara, Mushi, TSS, Psikyo games, etc. all look like shit on the PS2?

Recap was talking about a display option for 15kHz prpgressive, i.e. low resolution with scanlines, which really does look A HELL OF A LOT better with low res 2D games. To my knowledge the only PS2 shooters that have this display in vertical mode are Dodonpachi Daioujou, Espgaluda and Double Shienryu.

Whether this means that games that only have interlaced display are a tragedy that ought to be boycotted, or whether it's an annoyance that one can live with in order to play the latest Cave, SNK, etc game is of course entirely a question of personal opinion, and mostly relevant to people using RGB anyway.

Arznei
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Arznei » Fri May 12, 2006 2:21 am

I don't know what the hell you just said, but TATE CAVE titles are fine.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri May 12, 2006 2:38 am

Fine? Depends on your definition. Perfect? Far from it.

Arznei
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Arznei » Fri May 12, 2006 3:14 am

Fine as in playable, enjoyable, etc. They can all be played and enjoyed in either mode regardless of what harsh judgment against the quality you have against them on them.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri May 12, 2006 3:38 am

I'm more annoyed w/ the "strobe slowdown". Watch a video of stage 3 of Mushihime-sama Maniac mode, then play it on the PS2. Don't blame me when you smash your controller.

Arznei
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Arznei » Fri May 12, 2006 4:15 am

I hate Stage 3 :P there's always this part where I'm forced to bomb because my mind just freezes. It's after you take out the sides.

Bah.. I am lacking in the department of shooting games. Ibara looks REALLY nice, because I always feel like a tard for bombing.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Fri May 12, 2006 7:17 am

More votes for Battle Garegga, Layer Section and Border Down. The three best shooters ever made. ;)

icycalm
#1 video game and art theorist in his world
#1 video game and art theorist in his world

Postby icycalm » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:21 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I'm more annoyed w/ the "strobe slowdown". Watch a video of stage 3 of Mushihime-sama Maniac mode, then play it on the PS2. Don't blame me when you smash your controller.

I find that Stage 3 Maniac is the easier than any other stage in that mode. I never ever lose a life there (well, maybe on the boss, but there's not much slowdown at that point).

I agree that it sucks of course, but it just makes it easier for me, so I have no reason to smash my controller...

On the subject of recent Cave ports looking shitty... It is really impossible to explain to someone who hasn't seen it with his own eyes. If you've never seen the PCB, or the Galuda/DOJ ports on a tated RGB display, then no amount of explaining will make you understand the gravity of the situation.

Except, of course, if you trust our judgement and take our word for it.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:40 am

As for Ibara and Mushi looking like shit, I have to disagree. It depends on your setup. I have a tated 20" Flat screen TV connected to my JPS2 via component video, and to my eyes Mushi and Ibara clearly look better than Galuda and DOJ. However, I know on an RGB monitor most people say the opposite. It would be nice for cave to include both res options, and it probably wouldn't take them much effort to do so either, but whatever.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:20 am

You'll have to come and look at the PCB on my RGB monitor sometime...it's just heaven, and I can't go back. Unfortunately, the issues w/ the Mushi port don't stop there. I learned to just quit moaning and buy the PCB.

Icy: The slowdown on Stage 3 Maniac isn't an issue unless you're trying to milk the score. Just playing for fun and not trying to jack up the multiplier, it's not so bad. But, leaving all that shit on the screen showering you with bullets... the slowdown helps. Watch the superplay DVD, and think how tricky it would be with no slowdown.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”