The bastardization thread.

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

RoninBuddha
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby RoninBuddha » Sun May 28, 2006 10:18 am

some miniscule stuff: im not sure if this is what you're looking for...

Maken X - Removed all of the Nazi references (gfx and story i think) and changed the difficulty, english dialouge (as usual, Harder in the US)

Dynamite Headdy - Err, Harder in the US, and quite alot of gameplay and gfx changes.
feel it, don't think

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon May 29, 2006 1:56 pm

Persona had modified portraits (including a white guy to a black guy) and had the Snow Queen quest removed.

There's also quite a few games with sprite changes or license additions/removals, like in Fighting Vipers and Kujaki-oh/Mystic Defender, and Hiryuu no Ken/Flying Warriors, etc.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon May 29, 2006 5:16 pm

The black guy from the intro of Street Fighter II was changed to a white guy for some US versions (I forget which ones)

Shapermc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Shapermc » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:21 am

I can't belive I forgot about Totally Rad.

If you check the site out the manual is a must read.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:17 pm

Actraiser's retranslation now finished:

http://agtp.romhack.net

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:24 pm

Here's another good one:

If you were Irem, and you wanted to sell big in America, what would you do?

You would probably take...

Ranma 1/2: Chounai Gekitousen

...and turn it into:

Wow...

O_o

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:28 am

Oooh that's an ugly one... :yuck:

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:46 pm

most recent one i can think of is the addition of voice acting and a full orchestrated sound track for the US version of Dragon Quest 8.

Resident Evil 4 - pre ratings - had the beheadings removed in the Japanese version ... for the first level. Although the game is japanese developed , it did launch in the US first.

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:09 pm

Also, the Japanese release of Dead Rising has been toned down quite a bit.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:27 am

God Hand has the pan god reel cut out and a censored picture of the girl from the power-up card.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:43 am

Ganelon wrote:God Hand has the pan god reel cut out and a censored picture of the girl from the power-up card.

Which version?

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:52 pm

US. Dunno about anything about the PAL version (or if it's even out yet).

Christuserloeser
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Christuserloeser » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:17 pm

Bare Knuckle III vs. Streets of Rage 3:

soronline. classicgaming. gamespy. com / sor3_sor3vsbk3 .htm

The original is pretty good while the Western version is barely playable at all. The PAL release at least had a better cover art, but the game is even worse due to the 50Hz difference.

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:28 pm

Black Heart (Arcade)

western version has autofire, the dragon acts as a shield, normal shot leaves flames like the special shot, placement of enemies is wildly changed for the worse. Horrible!

Metamorphic Force (Arcade)

western version has only 1 life, life is depleted continuously, throwing in a coin will add life. Much harder and less enjoyble.
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:08 am

Imhotep wrote:Black Heart (Arcade).

So do the changes make it painfully difficult?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:06 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Imhotep wrote:Black Heart (Arcade).

So do the changes make it painfully difficult?

no, much easier and much more dull.
ein Ja, ein Nein, eine gerade Linie, ein Ziel.

PCEngine_Hunter
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby PCEngine_Hunter » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:57 pm

Ganelon wrote:WD generally tries to mess with some of their stuff (to nobody's surprise). Oftentimes, it's for the better as they clean up cinemas and reduce load times but other times, they change encounter rates, enemy stats, and item locations.

Ugh, I hated WD with a passion. I loved that they are the company that first allowed me to experience Lunar:The Silver Star and Eternal Blue on the Mega-CD but I hate the changes they made to the games they released.

The dialogue was heavily changed in all their games to include American references from TV shows and TV ads among other things. They of course had the "genius" idea to charge magic points to save the game in Eternal Blue which kept increasing as the game went on. They also upped the difficulty quite a bit which was not needed. I don't think they made gameplay changes to The Silver Star, I have played the US game many many times and have also played the Japanese version many many times and the only change I noticed was removing the breasts on a Galeons' bitch when you fight her. It was a very happy day when I could finally play the Japanese versions of these games and understand them! It made me love the games even more which I didn't think was possible.

Popful Mail was another game they ruined. I am just glad I managed to buy the original version before getting the US version. They again changed the dialogue but this time almost re-wrote the game entirely and made ridiculous name changes to almost all the characters. They also made the game MUCH harder than the Japanese version and changed the price of an amulet which was necessary for boss fights from 100 gold to 1500 gold. I love the Mega-CD original to death and have played it many times, it's even better now that I understand it, unlike when I bought it in 1996! I played the US version once and have never touched it again, it was horrible.

Dynamite Heddy was heavily changed in the US with really ugly graphic changes such as a Victorian doll boss changed to an ugly robot. Naturally the PAL versions also had to suffer thanks to the inept morons at SoA changing the game so much like Bare Knuckle III, I never bought it until I could get the Jp versions, many years later.

"Decapattack" was another SoA butcher job but on a much larger scale than Heddy. Using the rather excellent "Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken as the bases of the butchering which was also based on one of my all time favourite SMS games, Psycho Fox! Everything about the game was changed including the lovely colourful graphics of the original to ugly, dark crap with ugly 90's American game art.

My all time favourite Mega Drive (and action RPG), Landstalker, also received a change in the Western version. What is quite obviously a brothel in the Japanese version was made into a ballet school which was just silly. I guess they had to do SOMETHING to keep the whole scenario in the game as it was a major plotpoint but the whole ballet school was so stupid when it went along with the dialogue.

Although I know almost zero about the Famicom and NES, I do know of the FC game "Magical John" which was released in the US as "Totally Rad!" Ugh, just reading about what they did to the game made me feel ill.

I'd like to think things like this don't happen anymore but I am not so sure. I have been buying nothing but Japanese games for years now (with the exception of the 360, it's a mixture on that system) but it is the principle really. I do know from playing the English demo of "Folklore" that it was changed from FolksSoul which I own. They changed the name of the village from Limrick to something I don't remember now, it seemed like a stupid change to me. Sadly US and PAL games still get hideously ugly covers, I guess some things will never change!

PCEngine_Hunter
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby PCEngine_Hunter » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:59 pm

citcelaid wrote:Here's another good one:

If you were Irem, and you wanted to sell big in America, what would you do?

You would probably take...

Ranma 1/2: Chounai Gekitousen

...and turn it into:

Wow...

O_o

Hahaha, I had forgotten about that horrid game!

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:13 am

They changed the name of the village from Limrick to something I don't remember now, it seemed like a stupid change to me. Sadly US and PAL games still get hideously ugly covers, I guess some things will never change!

interesting , perhaps something to do with Limrick as in the real place and the use of Irish voice acting?

still need to get back to that game before the october deluge starts , quite liked what i played of it.
Beautiful Burnout

ry mc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ry mc » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:53 pm

I didn't see any follow-ups with Okami. It's obviously been out in NA for a while now. I haven't touched the JP version yet, but I completed the NA version and saw no 'hints of whitey'. ;) Names and places were all very Japanese, as I recall, and the music was untouched to my knowledge, but I may be forgetting.

This might be too minor to list, but Falcom's Gurumin on PSP was localized by Mastiff. They totally changed the main character's voice and attitude from a kind of deadpan delivery in Japanese (extremely monotone voice even when falling down a cliff or being attacked, etc.) to a LOL CRAZEE SPUNKY ATTITUDE GURL for the NA edition.

Also, while on the topic of Falcom, Bandai totally ruined Legend of Heroes III-V in NA, bringing them here as Legend of Heroes I-III and doing the entire translation seemingly with Babelfish, losing the whole appeal of the games in the first place (the clever dialouge.) They also removed some of the extra features like crossovers between the games, and I believe they took out the opening anime in at least one of the games, including the lovely vocal theme. ;(

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:45 am

Working Designs was mentioned earlier, but no one mentioned how they like the rape the fourth wall by inserting their unfunny sense of non-humor into NPCs. I don't play RPGs ofter (never) but I would be pissed if I were trying to immerse myself in mystical landz and here comes a fucking Austin Power reference.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:18 am

JoshF wrote:and here comes a fucking Austin Power reference.

Indeed. That is definitely not my bag.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:38 am

They fuck with game mechanics, too.
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:07 am

The Working Designs versions of Exile 1 and 2 on PCE are fucked beyond belief. Practically every 2nd NPC says some ridiculously stupid joke.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:25 am

Somehow I missed someone saying what I said 2 days ago.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”