The must-have Playstation Titles

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

The must-have Playstation Titles

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:10 am

As most know, I'll be leaving Japan in the fall. The idea is to have enough games with me that I won't have to buy anything other than new stuff... at least not for a while. I'm well on my way for Saturn games. Turbo Duo is next, as there's much less of those that I don't have already.

Where I really lack the knowledge is the Playstation. I know there's some great games there, I just don't know what they are. I know what the good shooters are, as you can find that out over at Shmups. But what about the rest?

Here's my meager list of stuff I've got so far that I'm planning to pick up:

Action:
----------
Kaze no Klonoa
Gunners Heaven
Rakugaki Showtime
Ganbare Goemon (2-3 of these)

RPG:
-------
Star Ocean Second Story
Final Fantasy IV
Finatl Fantasy VI (I have V already)

I'm mainly interested in 2D action games, but I know those are few and far between.

Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:50 am

Keep in mind some of these you can get on other systems like the saturn much easier.

action stuff
Block Kuzushi(kind of breakout kind of game)
Bomberman
Cameraman(port of the PC Engine version with added levels supposedly)
Capcom Generations 1-5
Dracula X(both the one that was also released on the Saturn as well as the port of the X68000 one)
Fireman 2
Goemon(2 of them are 2d platfromers)
Grandoll
Hermie Hopperhead
Irem Arcade Classics
Konami MSX Antiques
Lode Runner
Madstalker
Metal Slug 1, X
Nekketsu Oyako
Night Strikers
Panzer Bandits
Pu Li Ru La
Rayman
Rockman 1-6, 8, X3-6
Silhouette Mirage
Sunsoft memorial 1-6(rerelease of some of there Famicom games. Each one had 2 games. The only one worth getting is the one that had Blaster master on it and I forgot what the import name of it is.)
Super Pang Collection
Tenchi Wo Kurai
Umihare Kawace Shin(There's also a 2nd edition and I'm not sure if it's a different game or not)
Woflfang
Wonder 3

RPGs
Alundra(2d Zelda/Legend of Oasis clone)
Crono Cross(Not a fan of this or Chrono trigger)
Dragon Quest 4, 7
Tales series(there's at least 3 that I can think of)
Wild Arms(Everything is 2d except the battles)
Shin Megami Tensei 1, 2, IF, Soul Hackers
Saga Frontier 1, 2(I at least liked the Gameboy, Snes version of the series but there are supposedly not as good.)
Starling Odyssey(it's also all 2d except for 3d battles.(hopefully they fixed the bugs and problems with the PCE version?)
Suikoden 1, 2

I'm not to knowledgeable about the RPGs. I've only played DQ 4, 7, Alundra, and Wild Arms 1. There are a fair amount of Squaresoft titles for the system and hopefully a few of them are alright.

I know i'm missing quite a few titles in ths klist but at least it's a start.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:26 pm

I remember some of the psx goemon games are 3d and really bad, but yeah, the 2d ones are great.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:16 am

Thanks for the tip.
Dracula X(both the one that was also released on the Saturn as well as the port of the X68000 one)
This one is on the way. :)
Goemon(2 of them are 2d platfromers)
And the million dollar question... remember which ones are 2D?
Capcom Generations 1-5 Nekketsu Oyako Night Strikers Pu Li Ru La Silhouette Mirage Tenchi Wo Kurai Wonder 3
These, I've either got, or plan to get on the Saturn. Woner 3 I might pick up no the Playstation if I can find it cheaper. It's not easy to get on either I'm afraid.
Umihara Kawase
Definitely planning to get this one... just waiting on a good price. I've heard great things, but have yet to see a screenshot of it.
Mad Stalker
Didnt' know about this one. Is it a sequel or a remake of the PC-Engine/Towns game? Sounds interesting. 2D like the originals? I'll have to check it out. That should keep me busy and broke for a couple of weeks I'd say.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:32 pm

For the Goemon games yes and no. I don't remember them off of the top of my head but I saw screenshots or scans of them again I would remember which ones are 2d. Also if you go to Sony SCEA site or whateverit's called it's got a fulll database of all Japanese titles. You could just do a Goemon search and find the 3 or 4 PSX ones. It has both scans and descriptions from what I remember.

For Madstalker it's more or less just a port with no real upgrades from the PCE version. Don't have the Marty versino so I can't comment on it.

For Umikaze Kaze Shun it was originally released on the Snes and got fan translated. Someone also did a shrine for the game and hopefully thay might have description and screenshots of the game. I would recommend just tring the Snes version out first.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:38 pm

My must-own, 2D action games list, in release date order:

GUNNERS HEAVEN
HERMIE HOPPERHEAD SCRAP PANIC
GANBARE GOEMON UCHUU KAIZOKU AKOGING (the only 2D "classic" Goemon game, text heavy, thoe)
KYUIIN
FUU-UN GOKUU NIN DEN
GUSSUN PARADISE
HARMFUL PARK
NAMCO MUSEUM VOL. 5
AKUMAJOU DRACULA X GEKKA NO YASOUKYOKU
GUNDAM THE BATTLE MASTER
PANZER BANDIT
GRADIUS GAIDEN
NAMCO MUSEUM ENCORE
GUNDAM THE BATTLE MASTER 2
GUILTY GEAR
CAPTAIN COMMANDO
CHIPPOKE RALPH NO DAIBOUKEN
70'S ROBOT ANIME GEPPY-X
MILANO NO ALBAIT COLLECTION
UMI HARA KAWA SE SHUN SECOND EDITION / MARUAN SERIES 1
STRIDER HIRYUU 1 & 2
GEAR SENSHI DENDOH
AKUMAJOU NENDAIKI AKUMAJOU DRACULA
ZANAC X ZANAC
GOEMON SHIN SEDAI SHUUMEI! (2D side action "new generation" Goemon game)
SHAMAN KING SPIRIT OF SHAMANS
SIMPLE CHARACTER 2000 SERIES VOL. 12 / KIDOU BUTOUDEN G GUNDAM THE BATTLE
KORO KORO POST NIN

Feel free to ask me if you can't find info in the net.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:57 am

Azazel: I'll try to dig up some scans and see if you can help out. I remember one of the 2D games, but not the other. I dont' want the turds. :) Recap:
GUNNERS HEAVEN
Definitely picking this one up.
GANBARE GOEMON UCHUU KAIZOKU AKOGING (the only 2D "classic" Goemon game, text heavy, thoe)
I think this is the one I was looking at. Are the others that awful?
GUNDAM THE BATTLE MASTER
They made a good Gundam game? This one even sounds worse than any of the others. What type of game is it? I've noted the others. I'll probably pick up about half of them before moving. A few I've already got. Thanks for the post, and glad to see you here!
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:16 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:

I think this is the one I was looking at. Are the others that awful?

GUNDAM THE BATTLE MASTER

They made a good Gundam game? This one even sounds worse than any of the others. What type of game is it?

Ganbare Goemon ‾Uchuu Kaizoku Akoging‾ snapshots: http://psx.pwii.pl/gry/action/gunbare_uchi/ganbare.htm

The other "classic" Goemon games are 3D and really awful, in my opinion. But, usually, everything 3D is awful to me.

The Battle Master games are 2D vs. fighting games, and some of the best the PS has given. Keep in mind that Natsume is behind the game engine, and they know how to make good games.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:14 pm

There are 4 Goemon games from the best of my memory. 2 of them are 2d platformer. I can't remember what is differnt between them. I think one you could also use a grappling hook kind of weapon kind of like in Algos or Bionic Commando. There like the second and third Goemon games on the Snes.

There is one that is entirly in 3D. For a 3D title it ins't that bad I guess.

The last one I thought it was more of 2d title but I haven't played it in a long time. It might of been one of those 2d games with 3d graphics for all I remember. It's part of separate series of Goemon games compared to the 2 platformer games. It's more like the first Goemon game on the NES, and Snes.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:18 am

Well, I'm not THAT into the series, but I've played a bit of the SFC games. I just picked up Goemon 2, and will be giving it a whirl soon. I enjoy platformers, so definitely want to get all the good ones before I jump ship.

Gundam Battle Master: Yes, Natsume does know how to make good games (I love the Kikikaikai games they did). So WTF is up w/ Bandai I wonder? The only time their anime-based games are good is when they license them out to other developers.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:10 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Well, I'm not THAT into the series, but I've played a bit of the SFC games. I just picked up Goemon 2, and will be giving it a whirl soon. I enjoy platformers, so definitely want to get all the good ones before I jump ship.

Gundam Battle Master: Yes, Natsume does know how to make good games (I love the Kikikaikai games they did). So WTF is up w/ Bandai I wonder? The only time their anime-based games are good is when they license them out to other developers.

The truth is that Bandai does always "license" their games out to other developers. Usually, you can't find their name in the game's box or the title screen, but Bandai itself has rarely developed a game internally.

There were many 2D side action games released in the last three years for the PS. They're usually obscure games produced by KCEJ based on some animation. I'd recommend to check this board http://boards.gamers.com/messages/overv ... e=tekcadet since most of them have been commented there.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:33 am

The truth is that Bandai does always "license" their games out to other developers

I should've said "licensed out to the big guys". I know that's not really fair, and a bit dismissive, but the only Bandai game I've bought that's been very memorable was the recent Sega-AM2 developed Macross game on the PS2, and a couple of oddballs here and there. Every DBZ game I've looked at has been garbage.

I'm sure there's more out there, but from what I've sampled,there are far more Bandai games I'd bin in a heartbeat than there are ones that I wouldn't.

Thanks for the link, btw.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:41 pm

Gundam Battle master 2 is way better than the first!

Panzer Bandits is the bomb, great 2d guardian heroes rip off.

MadStalker is also real cool.

Geppy X 70's robots anime: 4cd shooters great plenty of anime, many characters.

Internal Section, psycedelic shooter by squaresoft a must!!!

Silent Bomber, great action game my fav. on Ps1 I think it also came out in the US.

PepsiMan, funny, stupid, but still a very intense oldschool type of gameplay.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:56 pm

Thanks for the info.

Got a question. How is Mad Stalker compared to the PC-Engine ACD version? I've not been able to find much info on the net about it.

Also, about Alundra which everyone is saying is good. What about Alundra 2?
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:19 am

Gaijin Punch wrote: What about Alundra 2?
Two words: AVOID IT. Look for Community Pom instead.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:53 am

Azazel wrote: For Madstalker it's more or less just a port with no real upgrades from the PCE version. Don't have the Marty version so I can't comment on it. .
I think you should reread part of my earlier post. It's basically the same less the long loading when you fire the game up first. As for Alundra 2 it's 3D and completely different from the 1st one.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:28 am

Oh I thought of another 2d title. It the Adveventures of Little Ralph a Snes kind of platformer.

Plus there is Fuun Goku Ninjin which I have never played.
Strider 2 Proboably don't need to say much about this one. Plus it's one of the only 2.5D platformers

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

hmmmm....

Postby geelw2 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:50 pm

actually, alundra and alundra 2 are two completely different games that have practically NO relation to them! the first is a sort of zelda inspired 2D action/RPG (with a more mature plot), and the second is a 3D action game geared toward a younger audience. it's not terrible, just disappointing considering the quality of the original.

a veddy short list of some suggestions (and a bit of variety):

moolight syndrome
moon
kowloon's gate
lagnacure
wares souheiden 1092
rakugaki showtime
brightis
khamrai
elder gate
the silver incident
sleeping cocoon
remote control dandy
tobal 2
geppy-x
zanac x zanac
vampyr
umihara kawase shun (either one)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:50 am

Hey Geelw:

Great to see you finally showed up! Thanks for the insite. The only PSX games I've picked up in the last weeks or so Time Bokan Series: Bokan to Ippatsu and Dracula X. I'm about to fill this list up though. Shame I don't have time to play much now. I'm assuming I will late next year.

So Alundra 2 is 3D, huh? Don't you hate it when they totally redo a game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby geelw2 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:08 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Hey Geelw:

Great to see you finally showed up! Thanks for the insite. The only PSX games I've picked up in the last weeks or so Time Bokan Series: Bokan to Ippatsu and Dracula X. I'm about to fill this list up though. Shame I don't have time to play much now. I'm assuming I will late next year.

So Alundra 2 is 3D, huh? Don't you hate it when they totally redo a game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

:lol: funny thing about alundra 2 is, if it were titled something completely different, it probably would have been received a tiny bit better. it's not THAT bad, it just goes for a stupid manual camera system and has a really goofy look in terms of it's character models. many of the women are anime-styled sexpots, and the guys look they're from another game entirely, lol...

oh yeah- see if you can find out what the z-xed: legend of plasmatlite controllers look like! i've had that damn psx import game for years, but the thing won't run without the special robot-shaped controllers, lol. i'm just curious to see what the hell they really do... :x

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:52 am

I'll have a look around. The problem will be saying that word to the store clerk w/o looking like an idiot. I'll try Google Japan, but google searches in Japanese don't work like they do in English. :(

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

true...

Postby geelw2 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:10 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I'll have a look around. The problem will be saying that word to the store clerk w/o looking like an idiot. I'll try Google Japan, but google searches in Japanese don't work like they do in English. :(
i'll know there's a scan of the game cover here: http://allsoft.scei.co.jp/ , so that MAY help a little... :D

eight one
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby eight one » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:07 am

A few more:

X2
Pururun! with Shape Up Girls (Nice twist on the breakout-style game)
Soukyugurentai (either version)
Wolf Fang
Slap Happy Rhythm Busters
Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special Dominated Mind. (The extras make it worth having)
The Cameraman ‾ Geki-boy Omakemura. (Don't let the budget title look fool you. It's quite entertaining)
Oh No!
PROSCEUTEDT TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:28 am

eight one wrote:A few more: X2 Pururun! with Shape Up Girls (Nice twist on the breakout-style game) Soukyugurentai (either version) Wolf Fang Slap Happy Rhythm Busters Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special Dominated Mind. (The extras make it worth having) The Cameraman ‾ Geki-boy Omakemura. (Don't let the budget title look fool you. It's quite entertaining) Oh No!
Welcome, and thanks for the post -- I like your sig. :) X2 I do have, and enjoyed it -- good shooter. Soukyugurentai I've got on the Saturn, and have been told that it's the superior version of the two. I've not tested myself. Wolf Fang I've not heard either way, but was assuming to buy it on the Saturn. Finally, isn't Gekisha Boy a PS2 game? I wasn't aware of it on the PS1. And yes, I'm sure it's entertaining.

eight one
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby eight one » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:07 am

Soukyugurentai on the PS offers an extra character that's not in any other version. Since it's re-release from Hamster, it's not hard to find at all. Gkei-boy has a PS version as well. It's Simple 1500 Series #94. Definitely one of the coolest buys you can make for a cheap game.

PROSCEUTEDT TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”