The must-have Playstation Titles

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:23 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote: Soukyugurentai I've got on the Saturn, and have been told that it's the superior version of the two. I've not tested myself. Wolf Fang I've not heard either way, but was assuming to buy it on the Saturn.
PS Soukyuu Gurentai sucks even with a new character. Avoid it if you have the SS version. Wolf Fang is better on SS too, but still not arcade perfect. Not too great.

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:04 pm

Some of my personal psx favorites are: Captain Commando (direct port of the arcade version, this game rules! and its quite rare) Internal Section Dracula X Devilman (dont ask why, i just like it) Gunners heaven

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:04 pm

Your pretty correct about the PSX Soukyugurentai. It's not worth having unless you want the extra ship. I've palyed both versions of Wolffang and couldn't really see much difference between them. Also that Cameraman/Gekisha Boy is suppose to have some levels that weren't in the PCE version.

eight one
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby eight one » Sun May 02, 2004 11:46 am

Azazel wrote:Your pretty correct about the PSX Soukyugurentai. It's not worth having unless you want the extra ship. I've palyed both versions of Wolffang and couldn't really see much difference between them. Also that Cameraman/Gekisha Boy is suppose to have some levels that weren't in the PCE version.
Souky is like $10. What could be wrong with that? Be sure to check out Toaplan Shooting Battle 1, and: Shiritsu Justice Gakuen Nekketsu Seisyun Nikki 2 Dodonpachi Gradius Gaiden Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius ‾Forever With Me ‾ Elemental Gearbolt Guilty Gear Fukkokuban
PROSCEUTEDT TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM.

Strychnine
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Strychnine » Sun May 02, 2004 12:41 pm

I dunno about Slap Happy Rhythm Busters...I've played that game...its pretty bad. It's got the novel rhythm aspect to it, but its not really that well encorporated into the gameplay...not to mention the fighting engine is pretty bad. I'd recommend Oye no Ryori though. Pretty amusing cooking/action game

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 02, 2004 2:20 pm

Strychnine wrote:I'd recommend Oye no Ryori though. Pretty amusing cooking/action game
Yeah, I was just thinking the other day "I need more cooking action games!" Haha
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun May 02, 2004 8:09 pm

Yes and afterwards you can play the Fireman 2 and extinish all those fires made by cooking.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun May 02, 2004 8:18 pm

eight one wrote:
Azazel wrote:Your pretty correct about the PSX Soukyugurentai. It's not worth having unless you want the extra ship. I've palyed both versions of Wolffang and couldn't really see much difference between them. Also that Cameraman/Gekisha Boy is suppose to have some levels that weren't in the PCE version.
Souky is like $10. What could be wrong with that? Be sure to check out Toaplan Shooting Battle 1, and: Shiritsu Justice Gakuen Nekketsu Seisyun Nikki 2 Dodonpachi Gradius Gaiden Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius ‾Forever With Me ‾ Elemental Gearbolt Guilty Gear Fukkokuban
I'll agree with you to a point about the PSX Souky. Yes it is cheap and got released so it's easier to find but I say just spend a little more money and get the better Saturn version. I've seen the Saturn version a few times for like $20.00 to $25.00 so it's worth spending a little bit more for a better version. Dodonpachi is actually better on the PSX than Saturn. Despite what some Saturn fanboys will say. The only thing you'll miss out on is the Saturn mode from what I remember. I think it just had a extra level in it. Elemental Gearbolt I could never really get in. I think it was released in the US and was considered an RPG/light gun game. I could never get into it but than I really don't play those light gun kind of games. I've played both versions of Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius ‾Forever With Me ‾ and really can't see much difference between the Saturn and PSX versions. I know gaijin's not to big into those Gradius kind of style of games. Gradius Gaiden is still worth getting even if you don't like the series. I think it's a tie between Gaiden and 2 for my favorite Gradius game.

Aussie2B
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Aussie2B » Sun May 09, 2004 4:30 am

The other classic 2D Goemon on PlayStation is Ganbare Goemon: Ooedo Daikaiten. If I remember correctly, there's a little bit of 3D elements to it (like in the backgrounds), but it plays like a 100% 2D game (except in the rare 3D robot battles). It came out quite late (2001, I think), and it's a lot like the second Goemon on N64 (the music is directly ripped from that game, I believe, with the exception of a few original songs), except lacking the fully 3D graphics, obviously. For a game that was quickly thrown together to make a quick buck at the end of the PSX's life, it's surprisingly good. If you're not opposed to fully 3D platformers (starring cute kitty and dog people), I highly recommend Tail Concerto. It's one of my favorite PlayStation games (and one of the best 3D platformers I've played). It's very short, but I've replayed it tons of times. It's a nice quick-play kind of game. On the RPG side of things, definitely pick up Valkyrie Profile if you haven't already. It's got some of the most beautiful 2D graphics I've ever seen, and it has a really wonderful, innovative battle system. I could name a lot of other worthwhile PSX titles, but those are my top recommendations (other than some of the games already mentioned, that is). :)

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun May 09, 2004 4:40 am

I've yet to really find a 3d title that I've liked. Your mosty right about the Goemon game although I never played it enough to see those robot battles. I was never very big on Valkyrie Profile when I owned it or, really got into any of those Tri-Ace titles to boot. I know they translated the first Star Ocean but I doubt I'll play it. Since it was done by the people who did Tales of Phantasia I can only hardly imagine what they changed and modified from the original Japanese script?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon May 10, 2004 1:23 am

If you're not opposed to fully 3D platformers (starring cute kitty and dog people), I highly recommend Tail Concerto.
I'm definitely not opposed to them, and I actually picked this up recently, although I've yet to play it. I got it and Kaze no Klonoa together for like $13. My PS2 is on the main TV, which the wife occupies most of the time. I'll try it out soon though.
On the RPG side of things, definitely pick up Valkyrie Profile if you haven't already.
I have not, but was thinking of nabbing this before I leave. It seems to be quite popular.
I could name a lot of other worthwhile PSX titles
I've picked up quite a few that were listed towards the top of the thread, so feel free to make some more recommendations.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Mon May 10, 2004 6:31 am

I could probably name some more as well. Btw what stuff have you picked up already?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 11, 2004 3:55 am

Already Got: --------------- Dracula X (both) Goemon -- 1 of them Captain Commando Tail Concierto Alundra(2d Zelda/Legend of Oasis clone) Dragonquest VII GUNNERS HEAVEN KYUIIN HARMFUL PARK GRADIUS GAIDEN CAPTAIN COMMANDO STRIDER HIRYUU 1 & 2 ZANAC X ZANAC Planning to get: ------------------ Grandoll Hermie Hopperhead Madstalker Panzer Bandits Umihare Kawace Shin FUU-UN GOKUU NIN DEN 70'S ROBOT ANIME GEPPY-X KORO KORO POST NIN I'll probably get nothing that's available on the saturn -- the Saturn is easier for me to play on, as the PS2 is on the main TV.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue May 11, 2004 4:09 am

Is there a reason why you have Captain Commando on the list twice or is that a typo? personally you might of been better to get Dragon Quest 4 versus getting 7. Part 7 is way to long for me to play

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 12, 2004 12:07 am

I goofed on Captain Commando. Just got one, but have yet to play it. DQVII I got in a stack of crap, which Imainly bought for the cases and covers to scan. There's only a couple of games in the stack I want to play (Alundra is another one).

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Wed May 12, 2004 4:27 am

It's actually funny you mentioned Alundra. I tried to play that again. I think I did about a dungeon or 2 but I couldn't never get back to the town and the game kept making do another dungeon and than another dungeon without saving. If you talk to to the person after finish your quest and don't save before hand it makes you do the next dungeon without being able to save. I thought I could just talk to the person find out what the next dungeon I have to go to but I found out you can't do that. Drove me nuts. :evil: After a while I just said the hell it. If I can get PSX emulation to run good enough I might play it on that as at least I have save states I can use. Which is nice when I can only sit down and play for about 15 minutes or so. Most of the dungeons take longer than that. Still a pretty good game.

You should really give a Captain Commando a try when you have the time.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:08 am

Sorry to revive this. I just noticed something:
UMI HARA KAWA SE SHUN SECOND EDITION / MARUAN SERIES 1
Is this a sequel the the first PS Umihara game, or the same thing w/ a bonus? I've seen a few around, but they're priced at like 5000 yen, which seems a bit high to me.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:26 am

Gaijin Punch wrote: Is this a sequel the the first PS Umihara game, or the same thing w/ a bonus? I've seen a few around, but they're priced at like 5000 yen, which seems a bit high to me.
Same thing with added stages, if I recall.

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

and...

Postby geelw2 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:19 pm

a while back, a few game mags like tech playstation had memory card downloads for umihara with some best times to beat and other stuff. i have a disc around here somewhere, but damned if i can find it :roll: ...

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:54 pm

THat'd be pretty cool. LMK if you dig it up... I guess there's no way to upload/download it w/o a karat though.

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby geelw2 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:11 pm

hell, i managed to find it (yay!)- well, just send me a PS One memory card, and i can transfer the data. i've been looking for the first ps umihara for a while after playing a demo on another disc (i have the sfc version), but that game is tricky to find cheap! g.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:59 pm

I actually got the SFC version for 600 yen + shipping recently. Was pretty pleased with that. I think the PSX version ranges, but if you're patient, you can find it for $20.

ArnoldRimmer83
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby ArnoldRimmer83 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:14 am

One obscure PSX game my brother and I liked was Konami's Poy Poy. Which was called Pointer's Point in Japan. Its a 4 player action game where you control different characters in an arena, and pick up assorted objects lying around and attack the other players with them. Its funner than it sounds.

There's also a sequel, but I never played it as it didn't come out in the US. The first one did, but it had a very limited run and is now kind of tough to find.

Though it doesn't seem like you enjoy shooters too much, Square's Einhander is pretty good.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:35 am

I enjoy shooters... I just know what the good ones to get are, which is why I asked for nobody to list them. :)

Von-Zipper
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Von-Zipper » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:46 pm

Is there any "must-have" platformers worth playing (or not) ?

It's really the only games i'm sticking to.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”