The must-have Playstation Titles

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:36 pm

Strider 2 is really the only PS-exclusive sidescroller worth having.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:39 pm

???

Chippoke Ralph?
Akumajo Nendaiki? (arranged mode)
Kaze No Klonoa?

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:26 am

Ralph: Nah, the controls just aren't intuitive enough. I'm not sure why Ralph is considered such a great title when nobody would recommend Grandoll, which has similarly awkward controls. Hell, I'd at least recommend Hermie Hopperhead, which is actually decent, over it.

CC: Excellent, but it's not an exclusive. If someone has the X68k version, there's little reason to get the PS version for arrange mode (granted, anybody who has the scarce X68k version is already a huge CV fan and almost certainly already has the PS version already)

Klonoa: Not bad, but it's always been a bit boring for me and the art style is a huge put-off. It's like playing Lomax with kiddy graphics and gimmicky "puzzles."

I did notice that I forgot Mega Man X5 though. It's pretty good IMO (although certainly disappointing to many).

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:41 am

Ganelon wrote:
CC: Excellent, but it's not an exclusive. If someone has the X68k version, there's little reason to get the PS version for arrange mode (granted, anybody who has the scarce X68k version is already a huge CV fan and almost certainly already has the PS version already)

The X68k version has an ugly-as-hell upscaled display. No 15-kHz option there. I agree with your line on Klonoa, though.

I consider Gunners Heaven a must-have for any PS user. There're others which will always be interesting, like Coolie Skunk (from the people who made Karura Ou), The Great Battle VI or Kitchen Panic (didn't any of you mention this once?). Even the late Konami productions for the system based on the pertinent anime (Ge Ge Ge no Kitarou, Plue no Daibouken...) can be enjoyable I guess.

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:04 pm

I'd definitely note Kitchen Panic as a must have. It's a platformer with all the "adventure" crap cut out, to give room for fast-paced, challenging gameplay.

and Ralph has tight controls and is a fine game overall, the only major downside being the fighting sequences.

I've never heard of Coolie Skunk, must check it out.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Imhotep wrote:I've never heard of Coolie Skunk, must check it out.

I guess most haven't; it's a quite obscure game. I don't know even if I romanized the title properly. Publisher is Visit.

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:35 pm

after a quick search, most seem to call it Kuri Skunk. It also got an US release titled Punky Skunk.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Imhotep wrote:after a quick search, most seem to call it Kuri Skunk.

That romanization looks as the usual poor, interweb-made attempt. The kana is "kuurii", so.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:34 pm

I like Ralph. Graphics are probably better than any of the other platformers on the system, and the controls were fine for me. It's also the only platformer I know of to have some type of tricky scoring system. Way better than Hermie Hopperhead me thinks.

Umihara Kawase Shun has definitely been listed, and is fantastic (and is an exclusive). I've just picked up Kitchen Panic and while it's nice looking, it's a bit long-winded so far. Worth picking up though.

Anyone ever seen a super play of Gunner's Heaven floating around? That's a hard bitch towards the end.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:09 pm

Yeah, I like Ralph too. I think the controls are spot-on, don't know what's un-intuitive about them at all.

Anyway, who here has played Kaisoku Tenshi? Any good?

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:04 am

Ore! Tomba for ps1 is a nice 2d platformer. Well, all of the sprites are 2d anyway, but elements of the environment are in 3d. It's a pretty solid game but there are parts that have a little too much item collection. Still, I found the setting and characters charming enough to get over its more "rpg-like" traits.
The sequel isn't bad either, but it's all 3d and therefore looks like crap.
Last edited by ZebraAirforce on Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:40 pm

I consider Gunners Heaven a must-have for any PS user. There're others which will always be interesting, like Coolie Skunk (from the people who made Karura Ou), The Great Battle VI or Kitchen Panic (didn't any of you mention this once?).

definitely agree with Gunners Heaven, but Coolie Skunk (i believe that`s the right translit.) and Kitchen Panic i`d say are more curious titles than must haves to be honest.

Kitchen Panic always made me think of Dizzy for some reason - but not quite as much as Hello Charlie! but i think that`s more to do with the cover art!
Beautiful Burnout

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:21 am

Agent Armstrong is proboably the best run'n'gun for the system (sometimes a pretty heavy platform element to it aswell).

dont know if it was released in japan tho, it has typical western-style shitty intro CGgraphics...

its definetly a must have anyways.

another must have (not sure if this either was released in japan) is Blood Omen, its like zelda for adults, awesome!

two of my personal favourites are also Disruptor and Crusader: no remorse, both are great action romps and just pure fun to play, especially if its your first time since both have great driving storylines with twists and cheesy efects.
crusader gets shit sometimes because the controls can be quirky at first (played from an isometric perspective) and some people shit on disruptor because "everything pre-halo is shite by default" :roll:
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:20 am

disruptor because "everything pre-halo is shite by default"

disruptor is very cool - but i`d love to see how the M2 version was shapping up - apparently it took a hit when the project switched over to PS1.
Beautiful Burnout

Technosphile
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Technosphile » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:51 am

Jesus, God. I only found out about this game like four weeks ago, but Namco Anthology 2 is a FIVE STAR GOLDEN CLASSIC.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:37 am

Zero Divide, why? because it has Tiny Phalanx as a hidden game ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3VQpirX7R4

Its only 3 stages, but worth owning in my opinion. Especially if you are a fan of Phalanx.

Only16bits
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Only16bits » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:58 am

Well, this posts help me to meet new games

I didn't know that was a Goemon 2D game at PS1.
Good Sellers:
http://stores.shop.ebay.es/El-Desvan-De-Laura
http://stores.shop.ebay.es/Videojuegoshoracio
Bad Sellers
No one yet...
Positive 47 - Negative 0

Return to “Japanese Video Games”