The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 18, 2004 2:05 pm

Apparently a forum just isn't a forum w/o one of these threads, so I'll get it started (and make it sticky). Saturn: Princess Crown PS2: Xenosaga Episode I (slow going, as my wife is a woman, and can't seem to not talk long enough for me to get anywhere in this) GC: Legend of Zelda: OoT Master Dungeon (just goofing around w/ it basically)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue May 18, 2004 2:46 pm

Top Hunter (NG). As I've decided to sell my AES, I want to replay my best NG before doing it. This one was not played for years, and I like it better now than then. A very unique game. Spin Master (NG). This one never was abandoned since its a personal favorite. I'll one-credit it soon in MVS level. Samurai Shodown 2 (NG). Best game ever? Magician Lord (NG). It becomes stupidly hard in the last levels, but it's soooo beautiful. Capcom vs SNK 2 (DC). Bought this when it was released, but never played before now. I've decided to give it a chance now that its pseudo-sequel has been announced. Scaled up sprites are annoying. Sol Divide (SS). Never get tired of this game, but I only use the girl. Vampire Saviour (SS). What a game.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue May 18, 2004 3:34 pm

I'll refrain from commenting about the wife. :D I haven't played much in while. I've been playing Double Dragon Advance on and of for a few months. I want to try to one crdit but will probably take some more practice. I can get to stage 7 or 8 depending on good I'm doing. I finished Seiken Densetsu 3 a few weeks ago with a party of Angela, Kevin and Hawk. I started messing around with Seiken Densetsu 2 last night. Don't know if I'll play through it again though. I also plan to give Flying Shark, Tetsujin Ou and Viewpoint a few plays before I sell my Marty and 9 or 10 games. Maybe in a month I'll have more time for games. :D

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Tue May 18, 2004 4:35 pm

Ive been playing through both super anime remix games, ashita no joe and kyojin no hoshi. There both pretty fun, although some of the minigames take a few tries to figure out since I dont know japanese. Also been on and off with final fantasy 6.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Tue May 18, 2004 7:50 pm

New stuff: Vampire Hunter (SS) Gaiares (MD) Curse (MD) Whip Rush (MD) Mega Turrican (MD) Shi Kin Joh (MD) Valis III (MD) Other than that, I play mostly shooters that has been in my collection for quite some time.

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Tue May 18, 2004 8:10 pm

PC Engine: Gunhed, Soldier Blade Saturn: Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garrega, Shokyrugurentai Dreamcast: Propeller Arena (got Shadow, Sol&Rey and HTK-7700 (DC pad) so far) Gamecube: Nothing, since completing MarioKart. Xbox: Um, watchin anime through XBMC..... GBAsp: Metroid N64: Pilotwings. cos it a class game
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.'' Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

evil genki
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby evil genki » Tue May 18, 2004 10:04 pm

I happen to be playing these games constantly..RPGs are hard to figure out, because I don't know Japanese. Medarot 5(GBC) - play on GBA. Hanjuku Eiyuu(Super Famicom)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 19, 2004 1:58 am

Xbox: Um, watchin anime through XBMC.....
:lol: Emulators and DVDs here. :)
Hanjuku Eiyuu
How is this? I've got a copy lying around here, but I've got other RPGs I'm committed to. I see it's Square, so shouldn't be too bad.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Wed May 19, 2004 4:35 am

SFC- Rockman 2, but good lord that game is tough. Not making too much progress on it right now. Also, Area 88- I played that game a ton as a kid, but never actually beat it. Gotten as far as the next to last boss. GBA- Legend of Zelda mini. I'm trying to save it for the next big trip though. PCE- Kyukyoku Tiger and the Jackie Chan game, just got them Saturday in Akiba. Both are pretty solid. PC- Simcity 2000, if I get bored. And of course, Minesweeper/Solitaire. Do those count?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 19, 2004 12:51 pm

I got some to add: PS2: Sega Ages 2500 Space Harrier: Good, but as I like the old school one, I've got some beef with a few things. They added a few stages where you're in a tunnel, and did a bloddy awful job. The texture is just crap. There's also terrain now, instead of the flat, checkered floor. I like the original. To add some spice, you now have bombs, and lock-on lasers. I quite like that concept, even though it strays from the original gameplay. Two of the bosses, even in easy, take WAAAY to many hits. Slows the game down too much, IMHO. GBA: Crayon Shin-chan: I picked this up b/c I had to pick a friend up at Narita. Only played two stages so far, but is a solid platformer. Way better than Tetsuwon Atom (I thought it was garbage - sorry) and better than must of the drudge w/ the Banpresto label on it.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Wed May 19, 2004 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby geelw2 » Wed May 19, 2004 2:09 pm

lol- i have a tetsuwan atom coming in a couple of days. oh well... lessee now, between the 21 games i have coming in preview and review form, i'm playing: simple 1500: the maze simple 1500: the rpg la pucelle: tactics (u.s.) nightcaster II (u.s.) wild arms 3 (u.s.) darkened skye (game cube) ghost vibration (ps2- once you get used to it, it's not that awful) siren (u.s.) colin mc rae rally 04 (xbox- can't believe this was released for $20 new, and smokes rallisport pop-up arcade challenge 2 any day of the week, lol)...

evilmess
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby evilmess » Thu May 20, 2004 9:08 pm

I finally got Assualt Suit Leynos 2 for the Saturn and that's my main game at the moment. Just about to dive into mission 2. On my PS2 I'm working my way thru Sky Odyssey and trying to get all "A's" as I go. When I travel I usually have Yoshi's Island or Gradius Galaxies loaded in my GBA SP. And I currently have my sights set on picking up Rolling Thunder 2 & 3 for the Genesis.
Last edited by evilmess on Fri May 21, 2004 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu May 20, 2004 9:52 pm

I think I'm going to try out Panzer Bandits next. Now I'll get to see if that or Guardian Heroes is really better. :D

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Fri May 21, 2004 7:16 am

evilmess wrote:When I travel I usually have Yoshi's Island or Gradius Galaxies loaded in my GBA SP. And I currently have my sights set on picking up Rolling Thunder 2 & 3 for the Genesis.
Evilmess, you really like Gradius Galaxies? I seem to be about the only person in the world who thought that it was pretty excellent.

geelw2
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby geelw2 » Fri May 21, 2004 11:32 am

Azazel wrote:I think I'm going to try out Panzer Bandits next. Now I'll get to see if that or Guardian Heroes is really better. :D
gh is definitely a better game overal, but panzer bandit isn't bad. it's sort of a futuristic anime spinoff in a way. the ending(s) are a bit... interesting in that they're so low key, lol...

evilmess
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby evilmess » Fri May 21, 2004 3:09 pm

delafro, GG is a nice little shooter. It looks great, sounds great and gameplay isn't bad. It's a good pick-up-and-play shooter and I bought it used for $10. :D As far as shooters go on the GBA I liked Iridion II better and I look forward to picking up the new Asto Boy. I'd like to buy Phalanx if I can find it for $10 or less.

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Sat May 22, 2004 6:11 am

I am playing: Genesis/Megadrive: Dahna(hard game!), NHL95(won the championship tonight!) Nes:Bandit Kings of Ancient china(2-player game with a friend), Cosmic Wars(Famicom) PS2:Champions of Norrath(need to finish) GBA: Fore Emblem(Need to finish)

fpbrush
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby fpbrush » Sat May 22, 2004 10:50 am

Recently aquired a Super Nintendo and N64 (I know...I know) Final Fantasy III (SNES): I have liberated myself from the SNES emu scene! I miss save states though, couldn't find a save point for 3 straight hours, brutal. Super Mario All Stars (SNES): SMB3 of course. Blast Corps (N64): Urg, need to get that slide attack down. Paper Mario (N64): Very entertaining. I really need to find myself a cheap Super Mario World. :roll:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat May 22, 2004 2:58 pm

fpbrush wrote:Recently aquired a Super Nintendo and N64 (I know...I know)
Well, welcome to the club!
I really need to find myself a cheap Super Mario World. :roll:
$8 cheap enough? [url=http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/‾japangaming/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6]my for sale list[/url].

fpbrush
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby fpbrush » Sat May 22, 2004 3:42 pm

You know, I saw that earlier, but unfortunately I don't have Paypal. Also, my local post office doesn't sell International Postal Money Orders, so my choices for international purchases are extremely limited. I could only buy it if you had a contact in the US I could send a money order to, sorry. Thanks for the heads up though.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat May 22, 2004 4:49 pm

I don't take international money orders... too expensive for the buyer. I just have people send my folks (in the US) a money order, and they deposit it into my account. LMK if that sounds of interest to you.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sat May 22, 2004 11:32 pm

I could never liberate myself from save states and frame skipping. :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu May 27, 2004 11:18 pm

Tried out Hermie Hopperhead last night. Seems njice so far (multiple levels of parallax) but some slightly strange gameplay that might take a bit to get used to. Also still trying to beat at least one scenario in Princess Crown before moving on. I also pop in Sonic Heroes (GC) to do a stage once or twice a week. It's just sub-par compared to the other Sonic Games though.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun May 30, 2004 4:43 pm

I messed around with Metal Gear and Xak Tower of Gazzle on the MSX today.

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:39 pm

currently playing Way to many games :evil: PC Tempest ( softmax ) Korean http://www.softmax.co.kr/tempest/ MagnaCarta ( softmax ) Korean http://www.magnacarta.co.kr/ DC Propeller Arena (US leaked) Shikigami No Shiro 2 Psyvariar 2 Izumo Roomania 203 Rum dim as black soul PS2 Astro boy Atom ChainDive RahXephon LaPucelle Tactic (US) Nightshade (US) Venus and Braves Saturn Metal Fighter Miku Keio Yugekitai Warchenroder N64 Sin and Punishment
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

Return to “Japanese Video Games”