The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:14 pm

Nope

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:35 pm

The first edition (sold through Dreamcast Direct only) comes w/ a box & a T-Shirt if you're into collecting. The voices other than the big black dude who narrates the Grind City bit (forgot his name), Professor K, and one of the cops are back in Japanese, so that might seem appealing. Other than that, it's the same game. The thing I dislike most about the game is the English text throughout seem tacked on and don't fit.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

jiji
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby jiji » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:36 pm

dcharlie's seen this already, but I figured I'd report on my progress here:

http://namakoteam.com/games/dive/

Game is complete and ready for download. :)

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:44 am

Loaded up the PSP with shooters...

On the go:
Sol Divide (Ps1 via PSP)
Donpachi (Ps1 via PSP)
Harmful Park (PS1 via PSP)
Ratchet and Clank (PSP)

At home :

Puzzle Quest (XBLA/X360) - already sank 30-40 hours into the PSP version, now it`s time to play all over again on the X360.

Halo 3 (x360) - single player was a bit disappointing, online has been fantastic fun as expected. Coop is great.

PGR4 (X360) - after all the bitching about the bikes, stunned they are the best part of the game! :)
Beautiful Burnout

jiji
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby jiji » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:25 pm

Started up Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC, thank you). I can tell I'm still in the intro zone, as it's still shockingly linear, but it plays nicely and it's got that polish that I love to see - and don't see enough of anymore. The sound and visual design in the twilight world is really cool. Midna is cute.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:40 pm

dcharlie wrote:Loaded up the PSP with shooters...

Ratchet and Clank (PSP)

Nooooooooooooooooo! *shakeshead*

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:01 pm

Rockman X3 (Saturn) - trying for a no-hit clear.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:33 pm

Jikkyou O-shaberi Parodius (SS)

Try to reach 2-1 at least, came pretty close to that aim already but that cat at the end is just impossible without any power-ups so I will have to stop dying right before it. -_-

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:05 pm

JoshF wrote:Rockman X3 (Saturn) - trying for a no-hit clear.

Pretty ambitious. Do you like the game that much?

I'm playing Rastan Saga II ATM, going for a 1CC...

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:13 am

I think it was inspired by watching tons of shitty Rockman replays on YouTube. I figure I could add it to Super-Play or something, if I ever get a digital recording device.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:06 am

Good God, sir. Why? That game is so ugly.

I was going for a 1CC in Keio Yuugekitai Katsugekihen. I think I can get it but it'll take some time.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:38 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:

Good God, sir. Why? That game is so ugly.

I'm in love with the theme, graphics and music. It's one hell of a cheap game, terrible stage design etc but has a couple of pretty cool ideas I think. I like it better than the first Rastan so far, although I haven't played that for more than a few credits. Well, I'll see for how long I can manage...

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:58 am

Portal... holycrap! :O
Beautiful Burnout

drunkenmappy
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby drunkenmappy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:33 am

Strikers 1945 II (PS1) - I suck at shooters.

Mars Matrix (DC) - I really suck at shooters.

Sam & Max Hit the Road (PC) - It's been a long time.

Wanted to play Gunners Heaven tonight but realized its at a friend's...shit.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:31 am

I just ALLed Golden Axe, enjoyed it a lot! Spent some time with the Mega Drive sequel which seems decent enough, but I think I've had enough of traditional GA for a while. I'm a bit curious about the arcade sequel, impressions?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:34 pm

Arcade Sequel = The Duel, right? Or Golden Axe II: The Revenge of Death Adder, was it? I ALL'ed the first one a while ago. Fun game... pretty easy if you stick w/ it a few days and don't fuck up on the last guy. I miss old Sega.

I'm replaying Jet Set Radio & De La Jet Set Radio (kind of noting the differences). I love those games. Too bad there will never be another real sequel. Assholes.

And I will start playing Snow Bros. tonight!

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:48 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Arcade Sequel = The Duel, right? Or Golden Axe II: The Revenge of Death Adder, was it? I ALL'ed the first one a while ago. Fun game... pretty easy if you stick w/ it a few days and don't fuck up on the last guy. I miss old Sega

Yeah, last boss was kinda tricky - lots going on there. "The Revenge of Death Adder" is the arcade sequel, "The Duel" is the ST-V fighter.

See you in the Snow Bros. thread!

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:23 pm

I'm playing Daioujou right now. Still trying for the 1cc... reached the last third of stage 5 the last time (155m), but I died lots of times in dumb ways - arrr. >_<

But as its my absolute favourite shooter (beside Ketsui which I can't play anymore -.-"), I won't let it go before I beat it. My target is 250m btw.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:52 pm

I've been playing some DOJ... I figured I should chain Levels 1-3 before I bother w/ Black Label. Almost there... I just die on the 2nd half of stage 3 too much. :(

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:58 pm

The 2nd half of Stage 3 is way easier if you use a hyper. Save it untill the midboss died and launch it when all those small enemies arrive.
After a bit of practice its even possible to chain it, not that hard actually. Way harder without a hyper!

Chaining is a bit issue for me as I try to beat CRI and Plasmo (215 & 223mio) :D

stage 1: 541 Hit (22m after boss)
stage 2: ‾2100 Hit (91m after boss)
stage 3: 420 & 350 Hit (max was 110m after boss)
stage 4: 450 & few 200-300s (max was 139 after boss)
stage 5: once I got a 1300 Hit... well, once ._.

BL is much easier, and more fun as well if you ask me. It rocks to jump on the 4th boss's head like a maniac with 5 hypers in stock which just isn't possible or recommendable (too dangerous) in the normal version of the game.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:54 pm

After giving up on the very much disappointing sequel to Golden Axe I've taken quite a long break from games in general. I've been playing Rockman & Forte (SFC) all weekend though, which is really enjoyable. I've reached the second stage of the final level (it is divided into three parts) so far, with 72 CDs collected out of a total 100. When I first played this eight years ago, I dismissed it as being impossible to beat but I'm glad to find out that's not the case at all (although it's somewhat challenging at certain points - the final stage is huge!). It really does have a lot of qualities, atmosphere being one but most of the stage and boss designs are pretty good too. What other Rockman games are worth playing, it's been years since I last tried one?

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:27 pm

All of the original Rockman series are worth playing, period. However, I really didn't like Rockman 7 for SNES. I have alot of issues with that game.

As for the X series, I've only ever really played X4. Great, great game. I tried X5 and X6 but they suck pretty hard. They have really uninteresting stages and enemies. and reaaaally terrible boss names. Josh is way into X3, so that's probably pretty good. You'd have to ask him more about it.

The Zero series is also really fucking cool, with the original being my favorite. They're all pretty damn hard, too. They start to suck around the time they reach "ZX." If you play them on an emulator you can get some nice fullscreen action going (for those of us with weak eyes/big hands.)

I realize this doesn't fit with the platforming, but the Rockman EXE series has some really good games in it. The battles actually have alot of action and strategy, despite looking like some kid's card game.

For best music, I'm going to nominate Rockman 8.
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:42 pm

I'm playing Hellfire right now, hope I'll get the 1CC soon.
Reached the stage 6 boss today but I don't have a clue how to beat him. I somehow have to hit its head but there are those goddamned missiles which are always getting me... any hints??

drboom
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby drboom » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:06 am

I got a lot going on -

Etrian Odessey
Persona 3
DOJ
Ketsui
Un Poko
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Metroid
Paper Mario
Puzzle Quest
Trauma Center

All are seeing regular turns and god damn its keeping me busy!

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:05 pm

Hello everybody!

(Discontinued) playing now:

-Zelda Twilight Princess (GC)
-Super Robot Taisen OG Gaiden PS2
-Ibara PS2
-Battle Garegga MAME
-Panel de Pon! DS
just finished: Kirby Sanjo! Drocche Dan DS