The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

fpbrush
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby fpbrush » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:44 am

well, now that summer studio for college will beginning soon i am coming to the realization that i need some pick up and play games, and for that reason these have been on the rotation: Super Mario Bros. DX Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (boss rush mode) alas...the day(s) of summer are gone for me...

shoegazer
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

automatic the door opens with a key

Postby shoegazer » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:37 am

Killer 7....I like the game but I hate it at the same time. The babelfish engrish voices of the ghosts annoy me but entertain me at the same time. I keep wanting to dust off Cosmic Fantasy 3, but I don't want to beat it because I don't own 4-1 or 4-2 and don't feel like trying to track them down.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:02 am

Recap wrote:
Azazel wrote:Even though this is really late me posting this I played through the 3 routes for the PSX Langrisser 4 a few months back. Despite what most people say the remake isn't too bad but I still prefer the Saturn version over it slighty.
Could you please elaborate a bit? Which differences are there graphic-wise? And what about Langrisser V?
I posted a parital list of differences for the 2 versions at COES but it was mostly just gamplay related stuff. I believe the site is down at the moment as I think someone else is going to be hosting the site. As for graphics I don't have access to the Saturn one so can't do much in the way of comparisons. Despite what some people say from what I remember from the Saturn version the graphics were mostly about the same. There's a few parts like when Randius and Weller communicate through the Mirror that the graphics look better in the PSX version. For L5 other than Hard mode the game is mostly the same from what I remember from the Saturn version. I played up to the scenario where you get the Langrisser sword in Hard mode but I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet. If there's anything in particular you want to know feel free to ask?

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:15 pm

Thanks. Nothing in particular. Just which ones are the best versions.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:49 am

Okay, it's time to get this damn thread going again.

What am I playing?

-Katamari Damacy (PS2): Actually just finished this. Very fun if you don't want to think. It doesn't make me pull my pants down like everyone else, but it's a fun game, and I got it cheap.

-Progear no Arashi (PCB): I'm really doing horrible at this. I seem to run into only the slowest, most singled out bullets, yet can go through a whole swarm of them.

-De La Jet Set Radio (DC): Call me casual if you want, but I love this game. One of 5 games ever where they actually put some thought into the soundtrack. There's some fantastic tracks added to the "De La / US" version that weren't in the original as well. The again, I like cell-shading, even though the graphics are well-dated by now.

-Alundra (PS): I never got around to this one. Nice game. Not too flashy or original, but good.

Stuff I put in, but took out:
Growlanser 2 (PS2) Sucks! Won't be finishing that one. Too bad if I miss the story. How could they take out basically all the maze running elements of the game? They TOTALLY fucked it up! I hear 3 is the same, so it looks like straight to 4 for me.

On the "to play" list:
-Sakura Taisen 4 (DC): I need to finish this series. It's the only one I've not played. It's not too long either, so I'll probably play it next.

-Minna ga Daisuki Katamari Damacy: I'll play this pretty soon. The first one was enjoyable enough.

-Stacks of other stuff that I likely won't get to for a while. :(
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shadow
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Shadow » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:39 am

Minna ga Daisuki Katamari Damacy: Love it ;-) Gunstar Super Heroes (GBA): Great action... relive the treasure spirit all over again .... Mario Kart (DS): Did not think it would be any good.. but the online play really blew my socks off :) GTA Liberty City Stories (PSP): Love it.. didn't really play / like the first ones... but this one rocks.... Looks like I'm a sucker for portables ;-) Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (PS2): a blast with friends ;-)

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:26 am

With Christmas break in full swing, I'm trying to cut down on my backlog of unplayed RPGs. I'm playing Final Fantasy III (IV) and Riviera in the hopes that I'll finish them before the new year. Also spending an inordinate amount of time in Animal Crossing: Wild World. Finally, I've had an urge lately to get my Gradius on, and have been scratching it with dual application of the PC Engine version and, when I'm at work, the port on my cellphone. I'm not sure how, but I've managed to make it halfway through stage 3 on that goddamned numeric keypad.

aerithhime
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby aerithhime » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:27 am

Games I recently beat Panzer Dragoon Azel (I really enjoyed the battle system and the incrediable soundtrack!), Dragon Force 2, Minna Daisuki Katamari and Kingdom Hearts. Currently playing a backlog of RPGs. Xenosaga, Star Ocean 3 and Tales of Symphonia. I'm furthest in Xenosaga probably halfway or more. Getting a little bored with the battles where I'm at, but I want to see the rest of the story, so I'll probably try to finish it up and work on Tales of Symphonia. I really do want to play Kingdom Hearts II but I'll probably just wait till the US release since I played the first one in English. I have too many RPGs to finish and I don't move as fast thru them these days.

agony
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby agony » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:51 am

Right now I`m playing Mushihimesama and ESPGaluda, I suck as hell :>
But these two Games are just great so it doesn`t matter how bad you are it`s pure fun :]

pugeta
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby pugeta » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:52 pm

PS2>Wild Arms AlterCode F and ESPGALUDA im practing with no MISS hehe
cave games make me ROCKS

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:33 pm

Currently playing:
Goemon: Uchu Kaizoku Akogingu
ESPGaluda II

That's about it. Popping in some other stuff from time to time, but nothing major.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:33 am

I beat the Goemon game, and also got a nice 1CC on Umihara Kawase Shun (there are no continues, so that's really the only way to clear it). Great game, although frustrating at times.

I'm still playing ESPGaluda II, and a little Shenmue II from time to time.

agony
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby agony » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:33 am

any news about an espgaluda 2 PS2 port?

I think it`s time that I get my hands on this :)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:34 pm

Not yet. I would expect a summer release.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:21 pm

Currently playing Xexex in MAME.

This game has always been a bit of a legend to me, ever since seeing jaw-dropping pictures of it in European game mags in the early 90s and waiting in vain for a port (up until the recent PS2 no-show).

I really think this is the greatest arcade game Konami ever created. They put all their know-how and effort into it, but still it was born under a bad star and was completely blown out of the water by Street Fighter II upon release.

I'm hoping to 1CC this eventually. Luckily it's not as quite as punishing as its "siblings" R-Type and Pulstar.

Looks like I'm also going to have to buy the PCB of this. I'm simply too much in love with this game. :)

pugeta
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby pugeta » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:35 pm

i beat wild arms altercode F im playing Wild Arms 4 now and still practicing ESPGaluda hehehe i
cave games make me ROCKS

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:53 am

My DC is hooked up in the bedroom, so sometimes I play it when I'm laying down reading or have nothing better to do. I've put in a good hour or so each day the last few days on Shenmue II. I still don't understand how this series did so badly (well,l yes I do), but I hate to admit it. I really do enjoy it, and hope they finish up the series.

I have a plane trip coming up, so some GBA tripe is in order. Thinking of getting a DS game for the way back -- maybe the Goemon one.

Lord Contaminous
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Lord Contaminous » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:05 pm

Hooked up my PC Engine Duo R to the VCR and taped myself beating Ninja Gaiden.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:12 pm

Saturn Metal Slug.

Tatsujin
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Tatsujin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:43 am

Ane-san on PCE. nice BeU scroller, since it's very rare genre on that system too (double dragon, crest wolf..). quite difficult that piece of..! :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 688/735 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:45 pm

I've been playing Sonic Rush on my DS in the hotel. I'm back now, but I'm very impressed with the game. I will definitely finish it through.

pugeta
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby pugeta » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:35 pm

ive playing vasara 2 and TALES OF SYMPHONIA on GC
cave games make me ROCKS

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:35 pm

Well, I mixed things up abit:

Still playing ESPGaluda II. I've tightened up my patterns, and have crushed my old score by 50 million WITHOUT clearing. If I get the clear w/ the high score, I'll be happy.

Also playing:
ICO (just finished)
Mame (Rastan, Contra, Mizubaku Daibouken)

I will probably play one more thing before my wife gets back w/ Wander and the Collosus. Probably Sakura Taisen 4 to get that out of the way.

A_Lee_N
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby A_Lee_N » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:30 pm

Right now I'm mostly playing Bleach DS Souten ni Kakeru Unmei and Daigasso Band Brothers on the DS. I'm also playing Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:57 pm

I just cleared Collosus. Great game. I really enjoyed it. I wish some people would follow in the footsteps and go with more "quiet" games.

I finally got a score on Galuda II that I'm happy with for now:

Now playing:
Ryu ga Gotoku on the PS2
and that Super Princess Peach on the DS from time to time.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”