The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

J-Manic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Postby J-Manic » Thu May 17, 2012 10:28 pm

KOF2006 for PS2. Just bought it off amazon. So far I'm impressed. :)

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Been so busy, but got some playtime yesterday.

PCB:

Rastan- still can't make it past stage 4, an insanely difficult and fun game though.

Vendetta/Crime Fighters 2- I'm going to 1cc this one day, I can get to stage 4 on one credit so far, just need more practice I guess.

Turtles in Time- I gave up on trying to 1cc this, I just credit feed and play for nostalgia.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

andsuchisdeath
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby andsuchisdeath » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:45 pm

I've been playing Sengoku 2 for the Neo Geo and Captain Commando on the Playstation.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Actraiser 2. Has a unique, suspenseful atmosphere and some of the best platforming action I've ever seen, with tons of cool moves that you can use in creative ways. I've searched the forum and it hasn't even been mentioned once? It's a bit frustrating to learn the controls which is why I never got into it before, but once once you do it's by no means a difficult game (the magic is over-powered, and sadly that eliminates the challenge from all of the boss fights). One for the SFC must-have thread, for sure.

CTN
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CTN » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:38 pm

I've been playing Magical Hoppers (Pandemonium) for Playstation.
For a 1990s jump n run game made in USA it's quite good. The graphics with their combination of bitmaps for objects and background and polygons for the characters and "road" have a nice Nights into Dreams-ish look and feel so it feels not so much like Crystal Dynamics and more like a Sega game (which i guess was what they were aiming for anyway).
So far (4 Stages into) i really like it's very basic gameplay and think all the time: This could have been a really good Sonic title just by swapping the characters.

andsuchisdeath
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby andsuchisdeath » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Zinger, I just purchased a copy of Actraiser 2 Sunday morning, before reading your post today. It just recently intrigued me and your post about it is quite encouraging. I have played it years before but it never clicked with me.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:47 am

There's a bosh-rush in what I believe is Actraiser 2's last stage, and that made me give up. I've grown sick of cheap rehashes like that in games, but overall it's a very worthwhile experience.

Currently playing Nosferatu, which is yet another great SFC title barely mentioned here.
Just read this mini-review by GW: http://www.gamengai.com/gm_inf.php?gm_id=687

Out of the three stages I've been able to reach, the first two are definitely the coolest ones. Stage three is totally crowded with ghosts which I think looks a little stupid, and I can't say I'm enjoying the extra challenge from the endless amount of spike traps. Who is GW?

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

I remember playing nosferatu back in the day, I rented it as I thought it would be a castlevania clone. Its not a unique feel but I never finished it or went back to it.

I've been playing a lot of Thunder Cross II, its pretty good for a title you don't hear about that much.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Poisonous
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Poisonous » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:11 am

I've been playing some games I've missed out on, just because now I have a little more free time on my hands. Recently I got around to playing Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the Master System. Really great platformer, recommend it to anyone who likes platformers. Pretty easy to find, I picked up a copy for 10 dollars on ebay, CIB.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:38 am

I busted out Record of Lodoss War for the DC last night as I had some time to kill. It's pretty mindless, and I enjoyed it. Strict Diablo-clone, with a few issues, but overall I feel it was a fun game... a horribly ugly one, but still. I always held on to it for some reason, so figured I might as well get my money's worth.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:49 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I busted out Record of Lodoss War for the DC last night as I had some time to kill. It's pretty mindless, and I enjoyed it. Strict Diablo-clone, with a few issues, but overall I feel it was a fun game... a horribly ugly one, but still. I always held on to it for some reason, so figured I might as well get my money's worth.

Totally forgot about the bug that stops you well into the game. There's 20 hours I'm never getting back, and is definitely not helping my resistance to put a lot of time into video games these days.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:48 am

Put Saboten Bombers back in my cab. This game kicks my ass so hard, but much prefer the pacing over all of the Taito platformers. The animation never fails to impress me either, really smooth stuff.
Stronger then your average deadite

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Is it 1CC'able by mortals? I like the game, but it always fists me pretty early on.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:46 am

LOL I'm lucky if I make it to the 2nd boss fight. Still fun though. :)
Stronger then your average deadite

Spazicon
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Spazicon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:15 am

Let's see, some Crysis 3 (game is gorgeous, to say the least), and Metal Gear Rising. Very slowly, however since the word on the street is how incredibly short, it is.

Then (based on some recommendations) Galactic Storm, A. B. Cop, and a host of other games I missed the boat on.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue May 07, 2013 4:43 am

Despite not being caught up on just about anything in my life, I played a round of Gussun Paradise the other day. Definitely going to play through it again -- so much fun.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Despite the Strider series being my second favorite series (Ninja Gaiden is #1), I only
just recently downloaded the new Strider from XBL. After playing it for a few hours, well,
it's okay I guess. I like the new gadgets like the plasma catapult and the various cipher power-ups.
My main gripe is that the Strider games were always globe-trotting adventures and in this one you
are stuck in the same area the entire time. The place is large, but it all feels the same. Also, some
of the remixed tracks are cool but you can barely hear them. I put it down for now and have been
playing the Mega Drive version instead.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Work and life keeps me from doing as much gaming as I'd like but I've been playing a bit of NES lately.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out- Can still get to Mike, can't beat him easy like I used to.

Gun-Nac- Really love the music on this one.

Getsu Fuuma Den- Excellent game, finally cleared it without a continue.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:01 pm

RadiantSvgun wrote:
Getsu Fuuma Den- Excellent game, finally cleared it without a continue.

Weird, I just bought this like two days ago. Still haven't got my hands on a NES RGB board so I can't play it yet though. It looks like it will be worth the wait though.

schadenfreude
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby schadenfreude » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:12 am

I recently got my NES modded with an NESRGB board. I was too pussy to do it myself, so I had a fine gentleman in another forum handle the honor. Unfortunately, I am still waiting on parts to be shipped from my "home" to my current location, so no word on whether the operation was successful or not. But it's hard to contain my excitement to play all those sidescrolling action masterpieces! Macaw's excellent thread on Famicom action games is required reading if you want to get pumped up about all your options.

mackdangerously wrote:I put it down for now and have been playing the Mega Drive version instead.

Not the arcade version? I find it hard to play inferior versions of games even when a convenient console port is available. Are there aspects of the Mega Drive port you prefer?

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:28 pm

schadenfreude wrote:Not the arcade version? I find it hard to play inferior versions of games even when a convenient console port is available. Are there aspects of the Mega Drive port you prefer?

I play the arcade version when I go to the arcade. :D

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:16 pm

mackdangerously wrote:Despite the Strider series being my second favorite series (Ninja Gaiden is #1), I only
just recently downloaded the new Strider from XBL. After playing it for a few hours, well,
it's okay I guess. I like the new gadgets like the plasma catapult and the various cipher power-ups.
My main gripe is that the Strider games were always globe-trotting adventures and in this one you
are stuck in the same area the entire time. The place is large, but it all feels the same. Also, some
of the remixed tracks are cool but you can barely hear them. I put it down for now and have been
playing the Mega Drive version instead.

A lot of stuff in the new Strider was taken out of the NES game (which never got a Japan release), so people who think of the arcade game first and foremost when they hear "Strider" got pretty weirded out (me included). I do recommend the PS1 Strider 1&2 pack. MD Strider blew my mind when it came out, but now I can't play it anymore. :D

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:21 am

My youngest button mashed my ps4 controller to a Shadow Of Mordor digital purchase.

A game that i had absolutely no knowledge of and absolutely no interest in playing as it looked like it was going to be another mildly musou-style roaming killing dull enemy "quick 3rd tier" game.

Well, i got that wrong! Whilst it's not the greatest game ever or anything like that and the action is pretty heavy on button mashing and -shudder- has a few too many QTE style events it still remains fun. It's basically Batman Arkham Of the Rings.

Now the really cool thing is the Uruk nemesis system - which, if i had heard about it before, i'd have probably waved it away as some pointless gimmick but man - it works really well. Individual Uruks battle for supremacy in the Uruk ranks, you kill a captain and a new captain gets promoted in, you get killed - maybe they get a promotion.... it all sounds quite simple but it's pretty well handled.

Other than that :

Wasteland 2 - my all female team is putting it's jackheeled boots on the throats of wasteland scum. Nice throw back, and lots of references to the original.

FIFA 2015 - ugh, okay - so i was wrong - i really DID just want the same game as last year with better graphics and presentation. What we got was... disaster. They've made defending nigh on impossible in any meaningful way and the ability of even low-mid players going forward is way beyond reason. I will finish one season and then drop off unless it gets megapatched.

Diablo 3 I know.... i know....

Scramble and Kung Fu Master on a retro kick when i have the tablet in hand. Been passing my time with these two.
Beautiful Burnout

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:41 am

I'm excited for Sunset Overdrive. It very much has the look of a 90s SNK game.

Despite the Strider series being my second favorite series (Ninja Gaiden is #1), I only
it's okay I guess.

I lost interest in this when I saw footage of Hiryuu getting pelted with Nerf bullets. Looks like it turned out better than Moon Diver, if that counts for anything.

mackdangerously
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mackdangerously » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:18 am

JoshF wrote:I lost interest in this when I saw footage of Hiryuu getting pelted with Nerf bullets. Looks like it turned out better than Moon Diver, if that counts for anything.

I got about halfway through and quit. From the mostly useless power-ups, to the "I feel like I'm stuck in the same level for the entire game" syndrome, it is just brown paper bag generic in every way.

On a side note, I clicked the link in your sig for your site and it looks pretty cool. What kind of things will it feature?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”