The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:13 pm

After:
125+ hours of play,
452 trophies,
556 stickers,
75+ cds,
I'm not yet finished with Super Smash Bros X.. . . . .

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:34 pm

Just put all my (good) MD games as Roms on my PSP. What an awesome experience to play Same Same Same or Gunstar Heroes in bed :D

LGB
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby LGB » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:52 pm

And various Carnival modes.

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:42 pm

The PSP is really good at reproducing classic games on the go...
I just recently re-played on it Chippoke Ralf no daiboken, Gradius Gaiden using its excellent PS emulator.
And also Burning Fight O_o by NeoGeo emulation...

LGB
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby LGB » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:58 pm

Better to get what you know out of the way as opposed to (and before) what you don't know. <<;

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:34 pm

Couldn't handle Ralph on my PSP (tried it on a plane). I hate such games on handhelds, and handhelds for the most part. Although I'll partake in a puzzle game every now and again (I still play Lumines II a lot).

Playing Pang 3 now, and debating banning JoshF for suggesting it.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:56 am

Hey GP, do you have a Slim PSP or the older model?
Because older model made every game unplayable...
Anyway, the best game I played on PSP has been CAVE STORY...
what a little pure gem..

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:32 am

Currently playing DJ boy on MAME!
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

LGB
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby LGB » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:21 pm

Trying DoDonPachi yet again. Making it to stage 5 might be easy, if I didn't waste so many bombs in the actual stage.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 am

Death Smiles. It's kicking my ass.

I popped in Onimusha for shits and giggles last week. Cleared it in a few days. Enjoyable, but I'll let it find another home now I'm sure. Having my TV YOKO'ed for Death Smiles makes it easier to pop other games in.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:01 am

Finished Mana Khemia, and playing through Atelier Iris 3. I took a break from the RPG madness to play some Violent storm.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:56 am

Iris 3... is that the English title for Grand Fantasm?

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Iris 3... is that the English title for Grand Fantasm?

Yeah, it is. I have to restart it on my ps2, because for some reason, my ps3 likes to randomly lose or stop loading my save data on the Gust titles. Did it with Ar Tonelico too.

Iris 3 is pretty fun, for the exception of Iris' whiny voice and that one of the characters you get looks like a 5-year old with 3x G cup boobs.

FYI: Iris 2 : Azoth of Destiny is a pile of steaming hot shit. Not a turd, not gargabe, but shit. Totally uninteresting.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:28 pm

I think you got those backwards... if you're talking about the one I think. Eternal Mana II < Eternal Mana < Grand Fantasm (they got lazy on that one).

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I think you got those backwards... if you're talking about the one I think. Eternal Mana II < Eternal Mana < Grand Fantasm (they got lazy on that one).

The Atelier Iris 3 I have is titled "Grand Phantasm" and it has the card system at the top. I played a lot of Mana Khemia, so I could be a bit biased towards it.

Oh yeah, I got the YS games today GP. Thanks for the newspapers as packing, they make for great conversation pieces.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:25 pm

(Family Tennis Advance)

It's very nice I think. Easy to learn and still very challenging gameplay combined with cute graphics and effects. One thing that I like a lot is that you can knock down the enemy using the actual tennis ball :D Works pretty rarely though, most of the times I am the one who gets beaten down (accompanied by a Mario-like losing-sound).

Technosphile
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Technosphile » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Been playing a few games lately.

World Stadium EX (PSOne)
What a great game this is. I am now 82 games into the season with a record of 57-24-1, and just came off clobbering Fukuoka two games in a row to take control of the Pacific League back. Go Wave!

Zelda Phantom Hourglass (DS)
I think I'm nearing the end, which would be nice because while Phantom Hourglass is a fine game, I'm sick of playing it.

Choushojuu Mecha MG (DS)
When I was in Tokyo a few years back, Nintendo had two new releases that it was pushing hard: Rhythm Tengoku and this. It took me awhile to get to it, but MG is a winner that makes use of the touchscreen in a cool way, with levers and buttons and gear shifts for your mech.

Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox)
Here we have a terribly overrated cookie-cutter 3D beat 'em up that's no different from the dozens of identical games in this genre (Onimusha, Berserk, etc). The fighting itself is sort of fun, but overall this feels like it should be a bonus minigame on some Dead or Alive release like Tekken Force. And after the first level it just becomes repetitive and frustrating. For shame, Tecmo!

OutRun 2 (Xbox)
Here we have a terribly underrated racing game that still completely kicks ass. Heart Attack mode is always a thrill.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Brave Prove for the JP PS1. Awesome 2D action-RPG by DataWest. Probably the best PS1 game that no one really knows about. It has fantastic sprite animation and a deep fighting system to boot.

Tengai Makyou 4 for the JP PSP. Great remake of one of my favorite RPGs. I'm having a blast playing through it again.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:18 pm

I had Brave Prove a long time ago but never popped it in. I think I got a scan for it. It looked a bit weird judging from the back. Maybe I'll relocate it and give it a shot.

I got a few hours into TMIV on the Saturn. Should probably finish that one...although I didn't like the full screen fights, oddly enough.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:19 pm

I've only played about an hour of Brave Prove, but it has really amazed me. It plays (and looks) very arcade-y. I hear it's a rather short game, but I like that in an action-RPG.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:04 am

Armed Police Batrider. Really underrated in my opinion. The Engrish is great though.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:58 am

I have been playing the Dynasty / Samurai / Orochi Warriors games, almost exclusively for the past month or so. A lot of people call these games simple and repetative. While the combo system is very simple, the games have subtle strategy elements. Plus, I guess I just love being in the middle of hordes of enemies to the point where I have to fight my way out.

The other game I have been playing is Ikusa Gami, which is nothing short of amazing. I have always been a big fan of Genki, and this is yet another example of the quality of their game tech. Superb.
Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:01 am

lordnikon wrote:I have been playing the Dynasty / Samurai / Orochi Warriors games, almost exclusively for the past month or so. A lot of people call these games simple and repetative. While the combo system is very simple, the games have subtle strategy elements. Plus, I guess I just love being in the middle of hordes of enemies to the point where I have to fight my way out.

The other game I have been playing is Ikusa Gami, which is nothing short of amazing.

Give Mystic Heroes a go then, I'm sure you will like it.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:10 am

I have Mystic Heroes ready to be played on GameCube, which I may actually start this weekend as I just finished another storyline in Warriors Orochi. I have been playing through each Warriors game from 2, on up through 6, beating them with a minimum of a single character before moving on to the next. I was really interested to see how the game engine has evolved over time.

Does the action ever get just chaotic in Mystic Heroes? or does it cator to quests and item finding more? I watched some clips of it, and it seems you fight lower numbers of enemies.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:16 am

lordnikon wrote:I have Mystic Heroes ready to be played on GameCube, which I may actually start this weekend as I just finished another storyline in Warriors Orochi. I have been playing through each Warriors game from 2, on up through 6, beating them with a minimum of a single character before moving on to the next. I was really interested to see how the game engine has evolved over time.

Does the action ever get just chaotic in Mystic Heroes? or does it cator to quests and item finding more? I watched some clips of it, and it seems you fight lower numbers of enemies.

Mystic Heroes is actually a older title, so there aren't going to be hordes and hordes of enemies for you to fight like the Warriors/Devil Kings/ect. It balances the action with quests to keep you entertained. Its kinda like the Cute-em-up of that genre.

If you have an xbox, I'd also recommend Crimson Sea. The sequel, Crimson Sea 2 is on Ps2 for some odd reason.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”