The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:57 am

-Lumines Supernova
-Tumble Pop -- this thing has 10 worlds? Fun, but seems a bit long.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

LGB
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby LGB » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:48 am

New list again:

=Now playing=
-Rolling Thunder (NES, arcade)
-PARSEC47 (PC)
-Titanion (PC)
-[i]Dragon Quest V - 窶弖窶ケテウ窶堙娯

Technosphile
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Technosphile » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:54 am

Alien Soldier, Megadrive
The best Treasure game on the system, probably the best game on the system, totally kickass.

Then a bunch of other stuff that hasn't seen enough play to write much about. I will say that the original Klonoa on PSone is still a winner.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:37 pm

The best Treasure game on the system

The best Treasure game. For some reason I like to think of it as the Mega Drive version of Street Fighter 2010.

Technosphile
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Technosphile » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Been getting back to my roots lately.

Virtua Fighter
Specifically, Virtua Fighter 4 PS2, Virtua Fighter 3tb DC, and Virtua Fighter 2 Sega Ages PS2. It had been some time since I had played one of these with any regularity until I re-acquired VF4 in a trade. Now I'm like a fiend, practicing my Jacky every day for hours. I feel like I have him down pretty good and would like to face some competition. My other chara are Wolf and Sarah, but Wolf changes so dramatically from game to game that its sort of frustrating.

Biohazard, PSone
The original. If Code Veronica didn't kick so much ass, I'd say this one is still my favorite. Back in the day, I sold my N64 to my biology teacher so I could buy a Playstation and this game. I chose wisely...

zapeipaa
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby zapeipaa » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:16 am

Thanks to my new XRGB-3, Gradius III (PS2) has gotten alot more fun to play. Though, it's hard as ass. Or is that just me? I've gotten to the second boss once, and that was on beginner mode. :? I like the edit mode's "one life and 2 options", because if you die early you want to restart anyway. The extends start popping in quite early too.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:24 am

I believe III is the hardest in the series. I don't play them at all.

Now that I've got my new Mame machine going (it's tiny, and I love it) I've been playing Rolling Thunder 2. I got to the very,very last bit of stage 5 (of 8) on a single credit. Hopefully I can 1CC this one within a week or two. It seems rather long though, and the platforming in stage 6 is a whore.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:51 am

finding time getting harder, but actually managed to get a few slots this week :

Space Harrier (Arc) - after the recent discussion, reverted back to Mamebox and had a few games. Still a classic game.

Phoenix (arc) - again, just for old times sake. Regretting selling the board :/

MLB 2009 The Show (PS3) - 2008 was spectacular, i hear 2009 has a lot of online issues, but given i'll be playing the rpg-lite Road to the Show mode, it's not a biggie. Had time for a warm up game in exhibition mode and got absolutely stomped thanks to an horrific pitching collapse in the 6th.

Phantasy Star Portable (PSP) - main game at the moment, playing whilst commuting in. Up to A class missions and level 35. The great thing about the PSP version is that it removed a lot of the guff that PSU introduced. Yes, the story is still utter garbage, but at least you aren't forced to be some complete turd of a character. They binned the googles too! yippee! You can rise through the levels much quicker and the bosses aren't photon swallowing grind pits. Huzzah! Makes me wish for a new console version, went and tried PSU on X360... couldn't stand it for long (also, lack of pause in home games? Why?!)

Mad World (Wii) - picked up from a friend, i hadn't really thought about getting this. Shou and I had a quick look and it's at least a little interesting, i guess it'll just depend how old putting a tire around an enemy , skewering him with a sign post, and then throwing him onto a spiked fence will get.

Killzone 2 (Ps3) - got to the last part of the game in Normal, but have started back through on veteran as i hear the AI improvement changes the game significantly.

Spelunker (PS3) - lol, i've seen ONE online room and it was full. Creating a room doesn't seem to bring people out either, so i'll wait until friends dl the game from my account. The single player is fairly poor, officianados will enjoy the retained strictness (though it doesn't seem to be universally applied, i can survive some (what appear to be) fatal drops , at least by Spelunker standards, though straying off a rope/ladder has the usual almost instant death.

Burn Zombie Burn (PS3) - at first this game seems like another bog standard overhead Robotron/Smash tv style shooter, but as a score based shooter the system is fairly interesting. Set fire to the zombies to increase multiplier and get better drops, but this makes them faster and harder to kill, shooting zombies drops the multiplier and the drop quality goes down. Will give it more time.

Dawn of War 2 (Pc) - installed, did the first part. Not bad, more a point and click action game than a true RTS so far.

On the list of to-do's :

Resident Evil 5 (x360) - 1-1 after 2 weeks? :(
50 cents (x360) - shocked at how good this is !
Beautiful Burnout

saucykobold
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby saucykobold » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:16 am

I'm currently trying to one-life Metal Slug 3. I've played the game sporadically for a few years, so I think it's time I finally beat the thing w/o dying.

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:54 am

It's about 3 month and a half that I'm playing almost solely Monster Hunter Portable 2 (psp)..now it's time to upgrade to G

also played few matches at SFIV on PS3 and KoF 02 UM on PS2

and the pile of 'to play' games grows bigger and bigger as time goes :(

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:05 am

Slowly working through STALKER: Clear Sky on the PC, and switching to Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on the Wii. It's funny, I got all the way to the final escape sequence in MGS a good five years ago, and then either got a new game or lost the memory card. I've not yet been able to bring myself to revisit and finish it.

Times in which I don't feel like being tethered to the TV or PC, I'm taking it easy with Secret of Monkey Island through ScummVM on my Nokia N810.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:53 am

time sapped to near nothing.

Death Smiles X360 - very quick go, seems like a very nice job! 9000 sales on first day has to be good news.

Riddick X360 - time enough to look at the water.

... :/

4 day holiday became baby sitting hell, need to start lacing his milk before golden week
Beautiful Burnout

sharc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby sharc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:50 pm

i've gotten back into espgaluda for the first time since moving a few months ago. nowhere near getting back into my groove from before but i am making some improvements in certain areas. messing around with the very first miniboss in stage 1, i noticed that you can keep it alive for quite a while. i can't for the life of me figure out how to make that a profitable enough endeavor to make up for how hard it is to stay alive when it and the big turret after it are firing at the same time, but there has to be something interesting that can be done there...

also finally got to the end of adventure of little ralph, credit feeding in a most shameful manner. i can't say i feel too bad about it because the complex scoring i liked in the early stages dies off pretty quick, and though i don't mind the out-of-left-field, hey-now-it's-a-fighting-game segments the final boss was an absolute terror. as a general question, is that an easy match if you're actually good at fighters? because i'm shit at 'em and it took me ages to fight hard enough to put that fucker down.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:09 pm

It's in your best interest to kill the mid-boss in ESPGaluda as quickly as possible. All of them, actually, except for stage 3. You'll get more gems (and points) that way.

sharc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby sharc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:20 pm

yeah, that's my usual approach, but i never noticed that first one hangs around for so damn long. it seems like there most be something to use it for, although it's probably more for the sake of kakusei overheat shenanigans or general showboating.

why not the third one, though? the main thing i always find myself doing with that thing is spending the entire first phase in kakusei to rack up points on the bullet-spewing drones it launches. i don't know if that's really an effective use of my time but it's just fun watching the screen fill up with x100.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 pm

why not the third one, though? the main thing i always find myself doing with that thing is spending the entire first phase in kakusei to rack up points on the bullet-spewing drones it launches

You just answered your own question.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:47 am

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 (PS2 version) - Very impressed with it thus far.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:17 am

They just had to use that stupid ass name, didn't they?

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Yea basically the North America arm of KOEI fearing consumers would not get that its a "Warriors" game without the word Dynasty. I actually didn't buy the original Dynasty Warriors Gundam since it was sort of half-baked. It played fine, it just wasn't fleshed out as well as it could have been. So I held out for the sequel. It was worth it...

They made a ton of changes, but one of the biggest ones is the inclusion of huge mobile armor bosses that you fight. A first in the Warriors games (though I think Strike Force is doing something like this). This really adds a lot to the game beyond simply clearing a map of smaller enemies.

While obviously on newer systems the game will look better, the PS2 version is superb. Runs flawless 60fps, and doesn't have any plastered on bullshit lightbloom to make it "seem" like a nextgen game. KOEI was doing this on lot of early xbox 360 ports of theirs. Luckily no PS2 games so far have had to suffer this fate. I actually like the clean and clear sparkly look of many PS2 games. So DWG2 is perfect for my standards in the presentation department.

It looks like I will be playing this game throughout the summer. Tons here to keep me occupied.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Thu May 14, 2009 5:23 pm

Space Harrier (Dreamcast via shenmue)
A real classic, I love this game so much, I remember my uncle and I taking turns playing the sitdown version of this in the dollar theater before he took me to see Commando.

Dodonpachi DAI OH JOU (PS2)
Superb port; this will do until I can find a pcb of it. I suck at it, but the music and visuals are amazing. Too bad IGS couldn't use PGM software like cave could.

Aku Garret/Air Gallade (Mame)
Awesome game, not much else can be said about it.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

KAI (The Shmuper)
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby KAI (The Shmuper) » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:33 pm

[PS2] IBARA (Arrange Mode) till 100.000.000 T-T

[PS2] SUGGOI! Arcana Heart 2 (and sadly, no one can beat me T-T)
WAITING FOR:
BEATMANIA IIDX 17 SIRIUS OST
Live Music by Piano and Strings: 7th Dragon Super Arrange Version
YUUSHA 30 OST
Radirgy NOA OST
Senko no Ronde DOU OST
Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune DX OST
Chrono Cross Arranged Album

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:47 am

Air Gallet
Beat it on one coin a couple of times but I'm determined on clearing it with at least two spare lives in stock.

Akira Psychoball
Finally found a copy of this at a used game shop. It's not known as being particularly rare, but I've had a hell of a time finding it. Luckily, it was the sub-1000 yen price I was hoping for, since it's not that great of a game...but it's Akira!

Mushi Futari Black Label Original mode
3 credits a week makes it hard to get anywhere in this game but I will surely get over 1 billion someday.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:06 pm

Kaneda wrote:Air Gallet
Beat it on one coin a couple of times but I'm determined on clearing it with at least two spare lives in stock.

Cool -- was tempted to give this a fair go. How challengine of a clear is it?

.but it's Akira!

Got the BluRay in da house...and went and saw Geinoh Yamashirogumi perform it live not long ago.

Mushi Futari Black Label Original mode
3 credits a week makes it hard to get anywhere in this game but I will surely get over 1 billion someday.

Arcade? It's fun... I want to get back into God Mode.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Air Gallet isn't too hard to beat if you focus on it. I think I cleared it after about 10 hours. You get a healthy amount of bombs and the bosses aren't so bad once you figure out their tricks. The stage 4 boss and the last form of the last boss are the roughest parts of the game.

Re: Futari BL: Yea, only in the arcade for me, due to the heinous price tag. Original begs for all sorts of trial and error experimenting to find out where exactly you can hug big enemies for the proximity bonus but I'm still too scared to do it on a 100 yen run. I guess when I make a boner I should use that opportunity to take some risks.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Jurassic Park for the Sega Genesis -- Yea I know, not the usual type of game posted around here, but a pretty fun game.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”