The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:03 pm

I didn't clear any of the top 3 arcade games in my last post yet. I'm playing SM Galaxy 2 for a change of pace. I've had it 3 days now and have 10 stars, so I'll probably finish it for my son's graduation.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:32 pm

Been playing Guwange for the last few weeks, just can't keep my chain from getting axed in stage 4. Very frustrating, as I've promised myself not to give up until I get 10.5 mil pts!

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:29 am

How far can you keep your chain? I think I've only carried mine to 4 a few times, and never past it. I popped a credit in on this at Hey when sven was in town. I got up to the end of Stage 6 after not playing for 2 years, so I was pleased with that.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 am

I can no-miss to stage 4 and get the chain up to 13,000. By this point the rank goes through the roof and I always end up loosing a life. I could get a really nice score if I could keep the chain going until the stage 4 boss, just gotta mke it happen though. ;)

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:55 pm

F3 Puzzle bobble 4. I keep trying to 1cc, but the pully system is really unfair imo.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:26 pm

RadiantSvgun wrote:F3 Puzzle bobble 4. I keep trying to 1cc, but the pully system is really unfair imo.

Yeah, it's a bitch. Kaneda & I had this this discussion a while back. It sucks. Would like to see a 1CC video.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:49 am

I beat versus mode but puzzle is a whole different story.

I'm not especially versed in the series, but from my personal experience, the Azumanga Daioh game is the hardest. Beats my ass every time.

Today I felt the very rare bite of the RPG bug so I'm going to try out Moon for PS1 that people seem to think is great. Anyone here ever tried it?

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Kaneda wrote:I beat versus mode but puzzle is a whole different story.

I'm not especially versed in the series, but from my personal experience, the Azumanga Daioh game is the hardest. Beats my ass every time.

Today I felt the very rare bite of the RPG bug so I'm going to try out Moon for PS1 that people seem to think is great. Anyone here ever tried it?

Try Puzzle Bobble 2x, it really isn't fair after a few stages.

I've been watching Ruldra's replays and playing a lot of Golden Axe, The Revenge of Death Adder. I can almost 1cc it using Stern.

Been playing some Zelda II, its a lot less frustrating than some of the other stuff I've been playing lately.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

xorthen
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby xorthen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:30 am

I've been playing Daimakaimura on my PS3 lately . It's frustratingly difficult and is up there with Battletoads in terms of difficulty. Also been playing Scott Pilgrim versus the world. I had no idea it was popular when I played it, it was just fun to play so I bought it.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:42 am

I'm playing Giga Wing at the moment. The game is really fun, but the graphics are not detailed enough for my taste.

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:36 pm

I've been playing mostly Tetris DS and Tetris Friends. After playing against human competitors on Tetris Friends, I am thoroughly impressed with the AI in the Tetris DS "vs the computer" mode. The easiest to write "difficult" AI would be one that places pieces perfectly and as fast as the engine allows. Level 5 (hardest) really plays like a very good human player. I can't speak for what exactly that entails, but it feels amazingly organic and similar enough to my Tetris Friends online play that Tetris Friends has lost much of it's luster.

The only thing that Tetris DS really lacks is human morale. My play can be very sporadic when I'm tired. I'll play like crap for a few rounds and then all of a sudden be playing at 100%. Quite often a human competitor will be "shocked" at the change and start freaking out and making bad piece placement. The Tetris DS computer will not be thrown off (which is actually better for training).
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Ketsui and DOJ on my PC with a Saturn pad. The sound isn't quite right but everything else is smooth as butter.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:28 am

I've been playing UBISoft games for most of the year. I'm up to date on the Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed series except for the 2010 games. Currently playing through Red Steel and almost done with it.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:41 am

I need to check those out. I have a stick for MAME so that should be okay. How do they run compared to the PCBs?

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:46 am

to my shame i'm pretty much down to playing Game Dev Studio.

Other than that i started playing Amnesia on the PC. So far, so good.
Beautiful Burnout

LaserGun
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby LaserGun » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Kaneda wrote:Ketsui and DOJ on my PC with a Saturn pad. The sound isn't quite right but everything else is smooth as butter.

This, after months of Dragon Quest IX and Etrian Odyssey II/III.

Really happy with how well they're working on my shitty XP machine, nice to know that games people actually want to play are being somewhat optimized for that very thing.

sharc
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby sharc » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:49 pm

the ir sensor on my cheap old emerson crt crapped out on me a little while ago, leaving me unable to change inputs, so thanks to an absurdly lucky ebay listing i picked up a considerably nicer replacement.

a sony pvm-2950q within driving distance! i was worried it would be doa or on its last legs because cosmetically it is very much second hand, but it runs like a champ. cannot wait to get some proper rgb running into this thing.

in the meantime, i am on a huge nes kick. gimmick! is basically the greatest thing ever.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Re: The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:53 pm

System 16 shinobi. Still can't 1cc this for the life of me. Good to be back though :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:52 am

RadiantSvgun wrote:System 16 shinobi. Still can't 1cc this for the life of me. Good to be back though :D

The trick at around stage 4 is to take it very slow. Ben Shinobi posted a very good 1LC of this years ago... it will help.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:
RadiantSvgun wrote:System 16 shinobi. Still can't 1cc this for the life of me. Good to be back though :D

The trick at around stage 4 is to take it very slow. Ben Shinobi posted a very good 1LC of this years ago... it will help.

I took it out of the cab the other day, I came pretty close to breaking the pcb in a rage. When you're fighting the different color ninjas and then some more just spawn on top of you in the later stages, its just rage inducing.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:53 pm

As far as PCBs-

Vigilante- great kung-fu successor. Can reach the last boss on one life, but can't beat him for the life of me. I've 1 lifed the game before, but I forgot the pattern for the final boss.

Wyvern Wings- Pretty neat shooter that isn't talked about much. Its sorta like a cross between strikers 1945 and aero fighters.

I picked up a sony pvm the other day, S-video looks great on it, but I'm waiting for some cables and parts to come in so I can use it for RGB.

mb7241
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby mb7241 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:26 am

Super Mario 3D Land... The first 10-11 worlds are cake (with the exception of World 8-6), but once you hit Special World 4, it steps up quite a bit. Fun game, though :) .

Wanted: Your imported RPGs (regular and limited editions)! Inquire via PM :) .

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:27 am

Playing Crack Down a few times a week. Took me ages but I got to 3-2 on a single credit. How the hell did I get to 4-2 before? This game is a whore.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:10 am

I'd love to own Crack Down and Gain Ground.

Lately, I've been playing Dynamite Duke a lot. Gets a bad rap, but I think its awesome. Then again, I think a lot of awful games are awesome.

I've also been on a Konami belt scroller kick lately. Been playing Crime Fighters, Crime Fighters 2, and Violent Storm.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Return to “Japanese Video Games”