The Official WTF are YOU playing right now thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:26 pm

I thought there was one Japanese site that had some info about the game. Not sure if that would help nor what site it is anymore.

NeoX
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby NeoX » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:44 pm

I got the Hiroku vid bounced back. I tried it on my other mail and it = bounced again. You got aim or msn?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:21 pm

Yeah, I'm on MSN from time to time. I'm trying to stay off of it b/c my poker buddies nag me to play online w/ them. :) I registered my yahoo account, so buzz me there sometime. I'm not always home when I'm logged in though.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:17 am

I kicked his ass! I was fixing to go to bed, and figured, what the hell. I played through 8B, and got through with 3 makimonos. Tooke me about 10-15 tries to get him. I realize that if you just aim to hit him when he's close (based on what he says) that eventually you'll be able to hit him from behind w/ a full tate. Anyways, I jacked him, and am quite proud. It didn't unlock hard mode though. Guess I should go to Gamefaqs and figure out how. I'm playing through Kunoichi again to see if I can unlock Hotsuma in that.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

NeoX
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby NeoX » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:01 pm

Awesome! I hope you liked the well earned ending. You playing Japanese version? I think the Japanese version does not have a super hard mode. I think the difficulty's go Easy Normal Hard Can you confirm that? (If you are playing the Japanese one) I am not sure why hard did not get unlocked. You have to switch the difficulty on the main menu to start a new game. You can only play hard stages in stage select after you beat them in story. The difficulty's go Normal Hard Super hard In the USA version. At first I figured they renamed the Japanese difficulty's but that was proved wrong because one Japanese 20 second yatsurao strat only works on Japanese easy mode.... I am not sure why they choose to only put Super hard in the USA game. They didn't even put it in the PAL game.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:19 pm

Yeah, I liked the ending. It was quite nice. I'm paying Kunoichi (on normal, w/ the normal costume so I can see the story again) and it's making a bit more sense. :) Yes, I am playing the Japanese Shinobi, but so far the only level I can play is Normal. There's some ???? marks below Normal... which I presume is Hard once it's unllocked. :( I'll mess around with it later and see what I can see.

NeoX
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby NeoX » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:29 pm

No, the ???? is character select. You have to hit new game -> then on the difficulty, hit left/right and switch to hard -> then select a character if you unlocked any. Then a new game is started.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:54 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I played through Kunoichi quickly. Ever play it? I happened to finish 88 missions as well, so unlocked Joe and Hotsuma in one go. Man -- they kinda suck in Kunoichi w/o that air kick. I don't know how you could possibly beat the game w/ them.

NeoX
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby NeoX » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:01 pm

Joe - Shurikens break guard Hotsuma - Ignores enemies defense and hits them anyway I own it. I have not played much of it besides beat it a few times. I prefer Shinobi over it.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:33 pm

Okay, that's good to know. I've played the first stage with Joe... just getting used to him. But some stages towards the end really require that damn air kick so you don't fall. I take it these are extremely challenging.

popeye_no_eigo_asobi
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

What I play right now is

Postby popeye_no_eigo_asobi » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:29 am

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong and Sonic Advance 3 (both GBA), Sengoku Musou (PS2) and Zelda Collection (Gamecube). Kindaichi

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:54 am

Beat Sakura Taisen (DC) and picked up Wario World for the GC (still no idea why they waited so long to release this) and Mario vs. Donkey Kong, which I'm going to check out in the park. WW does seem very short (well over halfway through it, and just got it last night.) Also playing V-V PCB.... Ketsui should be here mid-week!!!!

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:19 am

I just finished Dragon Quest 5 a few days ago. Not sure what I'll play next.

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:01 am

GP, how did Hermie Hopperhead turn out? I enjoy platformers, and there's a copy at a local shop for pretty cheap, so I was wondering if you ended up liking it or not.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:39 am

It's not bad. I actually wound up getting quite a few of the games that were listed here. I'll be posting them on JG soon. I got mine new for 1000 yen, and it was definitely worth it. I think Umihara Kawase I'll enjoy the most when it's all said and done.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:29 pm

If it's cheap you might as well pick it up. I played it once and it looked pretty good.

Pingu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pingu » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:30 am

NeoGeo MVS: Windjammers/flying power disc: This game is simply insane, it's basicly pong with frisbies and special attacks. Not that funny when alone but I've yet to come across a friend that don't instantly fall in love with this game. money idol(puzzle) exchanger: Cute pastel magical drop clone with more advanced gameplay. You play cute charachter that transforms into their alter egos, (Exchanger, Debtmeister etc.) And exchange coins to bigger ones. Mad chaining system and so hectic that your hands are hurting after a session. Game was also released on GBC and PS. PS2: Must addmit that I play Xenosaga ep 1 too. I'm still palying it so I guess I must like it even though it's so uneven... You spend a day looking at cutscenes so long that there are save points in the middle of them and then theres just ordinary ff I hit they hit. PC: Bridgebuilder, shareware that is about bridging gaps. the bridges must endure the stress of their own weight plus a train. I'm still suprised over the amount of time spent on this 300kb software. DC: record of lodoss wars, took out this again, fun title but sadly a bit on the easy side. F355 Challenge. Great arcade port and insanely difficult.
Panda papanda kopanda

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:46 pm

PS2: Must addmit that I play Xenosaga ep 1 too.
I've put this up, and don't know when I'll get it out again. I just can't take all the cut scenes. I might give it a shot again soon, but there's other RPGs I think I'll enjoy more.
DC: record of lodoss wars, took out this again, fun title but sadly a bit on the easy side.
How far into it are you? Are you using a cheat? It's a pretty long game, and has plenty of parts where you will get your ass handed to you on a plate. :) It's great though, I quite enjoyed it. I might play through it again one of these days. I started playing Growlanser last night. So far so good, although at Gamefaqs one guy said that it's a 60+ hour game. Yikes!!!

Pingu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pingu » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:56 pm

I have the European version of it and the only problems I have is with some of the dungeons, like the golem one. Otherwise you can clear it quite fast if you use the right runes and bost health up high enough, and concentrate on getting durability up so that monsters can't hit you out of your swings. 100% clearing it takes a while longer though. As for cheating, not into that anymore.
Panda papanda kopanda

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:19 pm

I've been playing Dracula X rondo of blood all weekend, awesome game. Growlanser is a really good str/rpg, I guess your playing part one, gaijinpunch? I only have part 2 and 3, unfortunatly got stuck in part 2 and never completed it :(
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:44 am

Yeah, I'm playing the first part. I got Growlanser Collection, which has 1, 2, and 3. I'll likely pick up part 4 as well... I'm enjoying it... a bit on the long side though. There's a good Japanese site w/ flow charts for Part 1 RoLW -- yeah, it's all about leveling up. I did 100% completion... sort of (found everything -- just didn't level my guy up all the way). There are some dead spots in leveling I found. I really liked the game though, and those type of games usually don't appeal to me.

Pingu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pingu » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:38 pm

There are some annoying things with it though. Alot of misstranslations in the game. The rune that doubles your strength but makes you take 5% of the damage you deal. That one is misstranslated and states that it takes 5% of your life. I deal a little goblin about 3 million in damage and guess what happens... Splat. Yet another reason to pick up my language studies again. ^^;;
Panda papanda kopanda

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:28 am

Just started playing Front Mission 4 PS2 and Shining Force GBA. FM4 is ok so far. I do miss the fact that in FM3 you could "blast" the pilot out of a mech and capture it. SF BA is great. They improved the menu's(buying/selling is alot better) I am ejoying the new characters/side quest battles. Graphically I prefer the Genesis/megadrive "look" though.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:00 am

To be honest, I'm surprised RoLW got a US/UK release at all. There was a LOT of text in the game, and it wasn't "easy" Japanese if you know what I mean. Besides what Parn and Deedlit say, it's all pretty old Japanese, making it a challenge to read. On that note, I guess a mistranslation or two should be acceptable. i'm moving along in Growlancer, but am getting annoyed at a few things. mainly the inability to level up beyond what they think you should. In that sense, it's more Strategy than RPG, unfortunately.

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:00 am

Recently been digging into R Type 3 on the SFC. I love it, but when the game makes you say "What have I done to deserve this punishment?" by the second level, it's tough to have too much fun. Well, just got to keep trying. Edit: Also some Super Monkey Ball 2 with the friends. The Monkey Target mini game is for real, people.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”