[PS2] Odin Sphere

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

[PS2] Odin Sphere

Postby Macaw » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:29 pm

Finally unveiled. Looks unbelievably awesome. Cant wait for more.

Famitsu Scans
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9844/odin2pm7.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8283/odin3xk9.jpg

Promo Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU8zyH7XP5Q

Thanks to Recap, IC
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:51 pm

You know, I actually Googled this like 3 days ago as I had not heard anything in a while. All I got was a place holder at other sites. Anyone notice the "Summer 2005" in the preview? Guess they've been sitting on this one for a while.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:14 am

Seems that the vid is from PSP PC, which would explain the extra wide format but would bring us the question about why the hell nobody showed it earlier.

I'd have loved a more 'mature' sprite design, being honest. It's a bit too similar to its predecessor. But anyway seems we very well may have here the best game ever produced since Shadow over Mystara.

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:47 pm

What's up with the anti-Famitsu "graffiti" on those scans? Somebody a real big Dengeki fan?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:06 pm

Looks like anti-Dengeki to me actually.

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:35 pm

Looks good, but there's something odd going on with those graphics. I don't know, looks a bit too Gokumakaimura to me.. I guess just doing 'plain' sprites is too much to ask for these days.

Recap wrote:Seems that the vid is from PSP PC, which would explain the extra wide format but would bring us the question about why the hell nobody showed it earlier.

You mean like some extra unlockable from the PSP release? How do you tell? The PSP screen is 16:9, just like every widescreen TV.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:43 pm

nem wrote:You mean like some extra unlockable from the PSP release? How do you tell? The PSP screen is 16:9, just like every widescreen TV.

Are you going to ever say something with just a bit of intelligence? How many PS2 games do you know with a native 16:9 display?

The "plain sprites" statement is also lovely. Don't stop it.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:40 pm

How many PS2 games do you know with a native 16:9 display?

I know of a total of 1: Ghost in the Shell.

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:46 am

Recap wrote:Are you going to ever say something with just a bit of intelligence? How many PS2 games do you know with a native 16:9 display?

Japanese made games, very few. But that was hardly my point. There's no reason you couldn't show 4:3 video on a PSP, so I really don't see how you made that conclusion that the video is from the PSP PC. Like you said, if it was, it would have surfaced earlier.

The "plain sprites" statement is also lovely. Don't stop it.

Those look like sprites to you?

Look again.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:41 pm

They do look like sprites, but rendered or something.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:59 pm

nem wrote:
Japanese made games, very few. But that was hardly my point. There's no reason you couldn't show 4:3 video on a PSP, so I really don't see how you made that conclusion that the video is from the PSP PC. Like you said, if it was, it would have surfaced earlier.

The "conclusion" is not mine, as it's obvious. Try to read again the post. And there's a reason to not show a 4:3 video on the PSP for promo material, anyway - the less the size, the less the 'wow' effect. Quite obvious.

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:18 pm

Fair enough, but unless someone here can chime in that they have that video available in Princess Crown, I'm not buying it.

JoshF wrote:They do look like sprites, but rendered or something.

The black monster at 1:16 is definitely a polygon job (or vector), so it's not all sprites at least. Some of the animations also look a bit 'Rumble Fish' (vectors then?).

Does it matter? Well, no, but a game done purely with sprites would be a nice change.

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:35 pm

Better pics over at Famitsu (thanks IC).

Looks gorgeous.

jiji
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby jiji » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:50 pm

Recap wrote:Seems that the vid is from PSP PC, which would explain the extra wide format but would bring us the question about why the hell nobody showed it earlier.

Seems? What leads you to believe that it's from PSP PC, aside from the aspect ratio? The logo in the upper-left corner looks familiar, but I can't place it. Anyway, the "Summer 2005" date at the end pre-dates PSP PC (released September 22, 2005).

Edit: Okay. The logo is from the unregistered version of a PSP-format video decoder. And the video is from PC PSP, according to a friend of mine. Why the hell didn't it surface until now? Totally bizarre.

And yeah, it's absolutely stunning. There's no room to be picky for me about techniques when the game looks as good as that. I wonder how it'll play.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:23 am

Looks too awesome. And it seems you fight multiple opponents at the same time unlike Princess Crown.

A May release as well, much sooner than I expected.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:44 am

Macaw wrote:Looks too awesome. And it seems you fight multiple opponents at the same time unlike Princess Crown.

That actually looks like 4 of the same opponent -- this can happen in Princess Crown.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Macaw wrote:Looks too awesome. And it seems you fight multiple opponents at the same time unlike Princess Crown.

That actually looks like 4 of the same opponent -- this can happen in Princess Crown.

From what I remember even though you can get attacked by multiple enemies you only fight one at a time while the others wait on the edge of the screen. Then again I only ever played up to the first boss so i'm probably wrong and you do fight multiple enemies simultaniously later.

Come to think of it, I should really whip it out and play it for a decent amount of time, especially considering how much I paid for it. Most of the time I have spent with the game has just been admiring how awesome the sprites and animation were.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[PS2] Odin Sphere Official site

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:01 am

Official Website

Set to come w/ an LE Settei Shiryoushuu.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:22 am

It's also awesome that Atlus USA has already announced an American localization.

kafka
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby kafka » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:40 pm

Ganelon wrote:It's also awesome that Atlus USA has already announced an American localization.

Hopefully that means Ghostlight will bring it to Europe etc.

I'm really excited about this game; the graphics are a welcome change.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:11 pm

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI-V3Uw1 ... u%2Ecom%2F

The animation of the sprites reminds me a lot of the ps2 Super Robot Wars games, similar technique.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun May 06, 2007 8:01 am

For those who dont know, various footage of the game has appeared over the last few weeks. Heres some:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9MIGrKAjJGg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oqriU0C2Cow& ... ed&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ewIpxRcJJwU& ... ed&search=

Has a completelty hilarious feature of being able to grow plants whilst in the middle of a battle. Apart from that, it seems like a much more action focused Princess Crown.

on a side note, GrimGrimoire turned out just as I thought, fairly average. Only worth checking out for the graphics, some good music, and if your interested in a unique, although basic take on the rts genre.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 06, 2007 8:17 am

I saw it in the shop the other day. Passed... Odin Sphere will be out soon enouh, and get my undivided attention then. The only thing that doesn't quite setlle well with me is the theme based on European (greek?) mythology.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun May 06, 2007 10:06 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:The only thing that doesn't quite setlle well with me is the theme based on European (greek?) mythology.

Mostly Norse mythology, Hence Odin, Valkyries, etc... But there is also many aspects of other European fairytales and stuff, such as fairies, dragons, kings, witches and all that... just like Princess crown.

This Vanillaware main director guy seems to be completely obsessed with anything European.

aerithhime
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby aerithhime » Mon May 07, 2007 10:42 am

I can't wait for this game, it looks amazing.

I was surprised to find out that the US version will actually have a choice between Japanese or English audio.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”