Neugier

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Neugier

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:40 pm

Anyone into this game much? I seem to finish it once every few months for some reason. I'm completely engrossed in the story, as simple as it is. After finishing the game (average 1 hour) it feels as if you have been through a more epic game like secret of mana, which is very odd, but obviously means great game design. And every time I finish it I always change my interpretation of the story, which I think is rare for a game. Also, has anyone ever wondered why the final transformation of the last boss is so unbeleivably easy? Its almost impossible to get damaged. I always wait a while before I kill him because he looks so cool.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:31 pm

I've never gotten around to tring this game out. As for it having an easy boss there a few other games out there that are kind of plagued with the same problem. I think the Xak series always come to mind as none of the bosses are that hard to beat.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:19 am

I've never heard of this game (I'm not much of a PSX person, as you can tell). If you'd like to send me a scan and a writeup for it, I'd be glad to post it. Funny you mention this. I was thinking that the PSX had to have some good 2D action RPGs, as there's only a handful on the Saturn. (Write note). Cheers to you for replaying games. I'd love to, but have too many I can't even play once.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:18 am

Actualy, its a sfc game, and it has already been uploaded on your site :) I guess its been a while since you last looked through the sfc section, but yeah, the bosses on xak are real easy but this last boss in neugier defies description. All he does is fire a tiny white thing at your character which is impossible to get hit by. Once I was trying to get hit by it and after about 5 mins I finally did it and it took of a TINY amount of health. I guess the game designers were pissed while programming that boss.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:33 am

Doh... didn't know that. Actually, Greg is the one that sent me that scan, and did the write up. The scan is a little low-res though. If you can offer a better one (for any games) I'm more than willing to accept. I'll look around for it though. Seems interesting, and I've got a newly rekindled interest in SFC games.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:10 am

Yeah, i'm trying to look for it myself, i've only been playing the rom :( I'm trying to track it down mostly for the manual, which should have some nice artwork in it. It is a very interesting and odd game though, unfortunantly the game gets a bit dull about three quarters of the way through, due to the fact that the stages become huge annoying mazes. Its worth playing it however for the first 2 stages, which are brilliant.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:04 am

I might have to check that out then. Do you get a lot of weapons, or does that get dull as well? Nothing can suck the life out of a game like repetition... I've found swinging the same sword for hours gets really dull.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:45 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I've never heard of this game (I'm not much of a PSX person, as you can tell). If you'd like to send me a scan and a writeup for it, I'd be glad to post it. Funny you mention this. I was thinking that the PSX had to have some good 2D action RPGs, as there's only a handful on the Saturn. (Write note). Cheers to you for replaying games. I'd love to, but have too many I can't even play once.
Alundra the only 2d action RPG for the PSX to the best of my memory.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:38 am

There is only a sword to use in neugier but its gets 'bigger' as you level up, but due to the games length it never gets repetitive. The game has actualy got quite good replay replay because even though its presented as a rpg its broken into 6 'stages' with only little talking, there is also a ranking at the end of the game that ranks you depending on how long it takes you to finish the game (the best rank is 20 mins or under I think) This can actualy be quite strategic in that running through the game real fast is of course what you will try to do but the bosses are incredibly hard if you havnt leveled up much.. Also, there are actualy quite a few 2d action rpg's on the psx. Here are some I know of (not including alundra) Seabass 1-2-3 (yes it is an action rpg not a fishing game :) ) Legend of mana Hercs Adventure (More action game this one) Groove adventure rave (there are 2 on the psx, one is a top view a-rpg) Bealphareth First Queen 4 Castlevania SOTN (I guess this is an action rpg) Community pom Brave Prove (i've been looking for this one for years)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:00 pm

Thanks for the list of PSX action RPG games. Legend of Mana is one I should look into, but I've yet to touch the originals. I tried the new on one the GBA and had a very hard time getting into it. Lost that GBA (literally) and decided not to bother with it. I hope the other ones are better. As with most SFC games, I'll most likely try it out on my Xbox first. If I like it, I'll buy the cartridge before I leave. I decided to nab a shitload of SFC games before moving. The good part about buying imports -- they hold their value pretty well.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:24 pm

Personally if you don't like the GBA Mana game your not going to like the PSX one. The PSX one is generally considered the worst of the series.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:10 am

That good, huh? What about the SFC games? I guess I could always download and see. I do find it hard to get into RPGs on any handheld though, so perhaps that was the problem.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:28 am

The first secret of mana on the super nintendo is the only one i've ever played through. I never got into the gb/psx/gba versions, or the second sfc version.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:33 am

More or less yes for the PSX version. I tried to like it but I just coudn't get into it. It's way different from the first 3 games of the series. The 2 Snes ones are pretty good but they do have there own faults. like sometimes you can get hit multiple times in a row and you can't do anything about it. Although you can kind of do the samething so it kind of balances itself out. Part 2 of the series is really easy if you level up your magic which is kind of pain as you have to cast your spells so many times to increase there levels. not to mention you have about 8 different kinds of magic. Part 3 I don't remember as well as I only played half way through it. You get to pick your main charater and your 2 other playing characters from 6 total characters. I think the story changes slighty depending who you pick for your chararacters. I think I picked the the guy that can attack twice for the main character and the 2 magic people for my other characters when I played it. It just didn't seem as good as part 2. Part 1 which was on the Gameboy is also very good and probably one of the top action RPG for the system. It's also worth noting that parts 2 and 3 on the Snes have a lot of text which is why I would never play the import only versions. Part 2 was released in the US and part 3 got fan translated.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”