Rakuhiki Jiten vs. Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Rakuhiki Jiten vs. Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:40 pm

Okay, so it's not technically a game, but it's for the DS...

I'm considering importing one of these Japanese dictionaries for the DS to use as a scaled-down electronic dictionary. I've got some decent paper dictionaries, but on a platform like the DS I'd assume these programs would include the ability to draw kanji for recognition, right?

Has anyone used either of these products, and if so, what's the difference and would you recommend them?

A_Lee_N
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby A_Lee_N » Fri May 04, 2007 2:11 am

I have both. Kanji Sonomana is the one you should be getting, as the first one only had kana input.

I was gonna post a link to a video demonstration of the software but the forum wouldn't let me..

"Guests and new users are not allowed to post messages with URLs."

.. wtf is up with that? I'm neither. And I know for a fact I have posted URLs on this forum before.

:/

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri May 04, 2007 3:28 am

Now that you have 10 posts, you should be able to post URLs.
I'm trying to pop the spammers... they seem to get around it though.

A_Lee_N
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby A_Lee_N » Fri May 04, 2007 1:04 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Now that you have 10 posts, you should be able to post URLs.

Here goes nothing:

http://www.thejapanshop.com/Video/kanjisonomama.mov

aerithhime
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby aerithhime » Mon May 07, 2007 10:07 am

Kanji Sonomama is the only one with stylus Kanji input.
Which is a must have feature as far as I was concerned.
I've always wanted one of those fancy electronic dictionaries
but the kanji input ones are way too expensive. This is one of the main reasons I'm going to by a DS.

There's some Game&Watch games hidden in it I heard.
I have no idea how you find them. Anyone find them?

A_Lee_N
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby A_Lee_N » Mon May 07, 2007 12:38 pm

aerithhime wrote:There's some Game&Watch games hidden in it I heard.
I have no idea how you find them. Anyone find them?

Yeah, there are four G&W games in Kanji Sonomama, all you have to do is to type their name and they're listed directly in the dictionary. Also if you type other Nintendo related words you hear a mario coin sound.

greg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby greg » Sat May 12, 2007 1:23 am

Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten, along with Otona no Kanji Renshuu, are the deciding factors for me wanting to buy a Nintendo DS.

If I may derail a bit (yet still remain on topic), does anyone here have Otona no Kanji Renshuu or a similar kanji practice game? AFAIK, these allow you to practice at certain grade-level kanji, so if you have only studied up to the third grade level, you can just drill yourself with these kanji and not get overwhelmed with more advanced kanji.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Sat May 12, 2007 3:22 am

I have Kanken DS and really like it. Definitely a stiff challenge for non-natives trying to brush up on their kanji skills (especially the games), but it's good for all levels. It's also really anal about stroke order which to me is a plus. Some characters I've known for years but have apparently been writing them wrong all this time.

I originally bought my DS for the Kanji Sonomama dictionary and always have it handy. A guy in my Japanese class saw me using it and now he has one.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat May 12, 2007 4:18 am

I would suck at them on stroke order alone. My wife says "it's not important" but all Japanese people say that. :)

So how is it writing on the touch screen? Seems like it would be a big chore. I try to use Microsoft's Tegaki Nyuuryoku all the time for words I don't know, and drawing them w/ a mouse is like pulling teeth.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Sat May 12, 2007 6:12 am

The writing is real easy actually. The quality of the character recognition differs between softwares, but the Sonomama jishyo amazes me sometimes with its ability to guess what I want out of my often garbled handwriting. You can also adjust the time you get for writing; I have Sonomama on fast which means it will guess a character after half a second of not writing on it.

Kanken DS doesn't recognize as well as Sonomama, but if your stroke order is correct that will usually do it. Sometimes I'll draw a kanji that looks damn near textbook, but since I didn't do it in the right order I get something else.

One of the main features for Kanken is the comprehensive exam they give you for each level that's meant to simulate the actual kanji test that folks take in Japan (I forget its name, but its similar to the JLPT but for kanji only). The first time you take it for the day will determine your grade, so if you fail it they'll actually flunk you and make you repeat the last grade! For example, after passing enough tests at level 9 (you choose from 10, 20, or 40 minute-long exams) I unlocked level 8. I thought rock on, gave it a shot without practicing it in the training sections and flunked it, so they knocked me back down to 9 and I was unable to take 8 again for the rest of the day. The following day I passed more tests in 9 and 8 was made available again. Makes for some intense kanji quizzin'.

A_Lee_N
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby A_Lee_N » Sun May 13, 2007 3:02 pm

Kaneda wrote:I forget its name, but its similar to the JLPT but for kanji only

it's Kanji Kentei or KanKen for short.

greg
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby greg » Tue May 22, 2007 10:37 pm

I was in Torrance over the weekend and I picked up both the Rakubiki dictionary and Kanken at an import shop called Game Land. They had them for decent prices. They also had another kanji practice software called Kanpeki Kanji Ryoku, but the guy who worked there recommended that I get Kanken instead. He says that it's best for those wanting to master the proficiency tests. I think I'll get the Otona no Kanji Renshuu later on.

Now all I need to do is get a DS to play these on! I own two GBA games as well. Between my trip to LA this past weekend and my trip to the San Diego Comic Con in July, I hope I can save up enough money for a DS soon.

EDIT: Looking at Play Asia, apparently there was a kanken kanji software for the Neo Geo Pocket called "Mokushi Se! Kanji O." I've never seen that before.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”