[AC] Death Smiles [Cave 2007]

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[AC] Death Smiles [Cave 2007]

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 09, 2007 10:09 am

Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

zapeipaa
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby zapeipaa » Wed May 09, 2007 12:06 pm

That... looks like a real ESP Ra.De. 2.
And I think the picture looks kinda 3D-like, but hopefully it's not.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed May 09, 2007 12:07 pm

Looks like Joker Jun to me.

I'm really, really looking forward to this, gotta go wank off now... :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed May 09, 2007 12:39 pm

The first thing I thought when I saw the picture was Alice Clone at the end of ESPRade. Way too demonic for that though. But I'm w/ CIT... looks very Joker Jun-ish.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Thu May 10, 2007 11:20 am

So is Cave done with ships and mecha?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[AC] Death Lolita

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:09 am

According to Mihara, a post on Mixi (which you can't view w/o an account) says that Cave's upcoming game has the working title Death Lolita, and that they are looking at hiring some people for Cosplay.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:18 am

Is Cave really reduced to that kind of pandering to survive as a company? I'm open to artistic freedom but you can only take so many teenage girls in your shooting games. Maybe you guys living in Japan are numb to it by now. :)

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:07 pm

JoshF wrote:Is Cave really reduced to that kind of pandering to survive as a company? I'm open to artistic freedom but you can only take so many teenage girls in your shooting games. Maybe you guys living in Japan are numb to it by now. :)

I dont really mind as long as the games setting or artistic themes are awesome, for example they could make a game set in a futuristic New York City that has an 80's aesthetic inspired from American 80's action movies.

Oh wait, Batrider already did that. Damn I love Batrider.

Anyways.. this game looks like it has the European thing going on, yet doesn't seem to be doing the generic witch on a broomstick thing that Japanese seem to be obsessed with, so it could be awesome. Cant wait for screenshots.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

professor ganson
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby professor ganson » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:32 pm

JoshF wrote:Is Cave really reduced to that kind of pandering to survive as a company? I'm open to artistic freedom but you can only take so many teenage girls in your shooting games. Maybe you guys living in Japan are numb to it by now. :)

The girl doesn't bother me as much as the owl, which looks a bit goofy-- like it's for little kids or something.

professor ganson
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby professor ganson » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:32 pm

Accidentally double posted, so let me add that I'll add my Kirby avatar asap.

captain ahar
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby captain ahar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:01 pm

Macaw wrote:I dont really mind as long as the games setting or artistic themes are awesome, for example they could make a game set in a futuristic New York City that has an 80's aesthetic inspired from American 80's action movies.

ha, i tried to do something like this in dezaemon on saturn, came along nicely until my cart slot died... D:

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:17 pm

I like the staircase and the portrait of the former master, reminds me of C. D. Ward and the likes.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:43 am

Playable demo at the AM Show next month.
Link
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:29 pm

Some screens in the new Arcadia (nicked off kobayan).

Gotta say, the game looks gorgeous!

Wild speculations ensue about why they're shooting from right to left:

I'm guessing it might use a Zero Gunner type rotation system?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:39 pm

citcelaid wrote:I'm guessing it might use a Zero Gunner type rotation system?

Ugh, I hope not.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:43 pm

Arcadia speculates that it might not have forced scrolling at all.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:07 pm

Anyone else a bit disappointed that they're interviewing Joker Jun & no Ikeda? This is the biggest shocker he's done since...well... Progear pretty much.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:50 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Anyone else a bit disappointed that they're interviewing Joker Jun & no Ikeda? This is the biggest shocker he's done since...well... Progear pretty much.

This is curious. We should keep in mind there has been no confirmation Ikeda is the programmer for this game. I doubt it's Yagawa, but I wonder if they could be giving Mamoru Furukawa the coding job on this one? He did Ibara Black Label, and was a system adviser for Muchi-Muchi Pork.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ikeda is the programmer, though I'd be happy if he wasn't, and he has been working on a vert all this time which he will unleash to the world early next year... I can dream can't I. :(

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:36 am

The other (hopefully not) scenario is that now that Ikeda is the head of programming he's got his hands in a little bit of everything, instead of a lot of one thing. I don't see him taking on a job that doesn't allow him to continue putting out his flavor of game though.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:39 am

Yeah, that would sorta suck. I really hope he's still going to put out his style of games (all programmed by him), at least once every year or so.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:31 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:The other (hopefully not) scenario is that now that Ikeda is the head of programming he's got his hands in a little bit of everything, instead of a lot of one thing. I don't see him taking on a job that doesn't allow him to continue putting out his flavor of game though.

The head programmer for Death Smiles is Takashi Ishimura:

http://cave-gameshow.cocolog-nifty.com/

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:32 am

What else has he done?

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:36 am

He's an oldie at Cave. He worked on Dungun Feveron, for instance.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:09 pm

Nice link. It states in the second question that it is not a danmaku, and he was told by Ikeda & Inoue that it should "not be Cave-ish".

I'll try to whip out the rest later.

EDIT: What the fuck? One of the Cosplayers was born in 1994... the "veteran" one in 1987. O_o

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:31 pm

Here's my quicky translation:

Itamu: What was your role on the current title?

Takashi Ishimura: I'm the game's main programmer, that is to say, the main programmer of the game's main program.

So the bottom line is "main", I take it.

Pease tell us what the concept and characteristics of the game are.

To put it in simple terms, not danmaku, but rather to achieve the refreshingly pleasent feeling of destroying enemies. [We were trying to aks ourselves] what feels really refreshing? That kind of thing. Following Ikeda-san and graphics-president Junya Inoue-san's exposテゥ, we attempt to break free from "Cave-ness" with this title.

What on earth is a graphics-president...

If you look at the released pictures, Death Smiles really conjures quite a different image than the previous work Muchi Muchi Pork. Could you elaborate on this?

Using graphics-president Junya Inoue's ideas of "gothic horror, horizontal screen, buzy with human characters, geared towards casual gamers", we aim for something different from the previous works.

Well, so what is a graphics-president...?

If you talk of Cave shooting, manic bulletspray is the selling point, so will there be pretty manic bulletspray this time? Although, I think it would be pretty good if it's a game that beginning shooter players could also enjoy.

As this time there won't be as much bulletspray as with the previous works, we'd also like to broadly appeal to users that have up to now been kept away by bullet-filled screens.

During development, was there anything that you paid particular attention too, or that was particularly tough?

Compared to Mushihimesama Futari there was twice as much graphics data, so managing the memory use was most difficult. Actually it's not exactly twice as much, but almost twice.

Almost twice as much?...

Please give your message to Cave-fans and gamers.

Rather than danmaku, please endulge in the refreshing destruction of enemies. Although, I think there'll still be some danmaku too.

So which one is it going to be!?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”