[X360] Sega Rally Revo - demo on XBL

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

[X360] Sega Rally Revo - demo on XBL

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:45 am

Hmm... okay , it`s not really Japanese any more now it`s passed hands to a UK development team - but it`s an interesting little demo regardless.

Deep disappointment at the drop from in menu 60fps to in game 30fps was quickly replaced by joy at the handling which is pretty damned close to the Sega Rally 1‾2 standard (erasing the horrific memory of Sega Rally 2006).

Tracks are interesting, the driving is good, the handling is nice, the 30fps graphics don`t distract from the game - and the track deformation is great. The music is pretty awful, so it might be time to track down the SR1‾2 CDs for custom soundtracks.

Will be interesting to see if the final game has the traditional "run through" arcade game play - the demo contains two multilap races and the tracks are pretty interest.

It really does have that "old Sega" feel - seeing the Sega flags flapping in the breeze and helicopter / plane evoked some great memories , topped off by the retention of "Game over yeah!"

I expected something terrible, i got something exciting. Fantastic.
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:06 am

Almost nothing thas that old Sega feel (even the Japanese developed stuff) save the Sega Ages 2500 sets. I always sucked at this series. Much more of a Daytona man...but only after a few beers.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:07 am

Almost nothing thas that old Sega feel

indeed - i was stunned by the fact they seem to have nailed it. It`s noisy and brash, a bit rough, but it feels great.

I thought Ryu ga Gotoku had a fair slice of that old school Sega, not particularly thrilled by the direction for RGG3 to be honest, but ah... we`ll see how it goes.
Beautiful Burnout

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:32 pm

For me, Out Run 2 was the last game that had that Sega feel to it.

Sega Race TV on the other hand looks like some sad attempt at emulating Burnout, which is a great shame.

(sorry, haven't really seen Revo to make an opinion on it)

Return to “Japanese Video Games”