[DS] Metal Slug 7 - uh oh...

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

[DS] Metal Slug 7 - uh oh...

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:10 am

Still waiting for the early full details...

Not overly thrilled about this idea if the rumours of ONLY a DS version turnout to be true.
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:23 am

At this point, I'm a bit disappointed to hear about any of them. I've lost track after X.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:09 am

They're not rumors; it's ONLY for the DS according to Famitsu.

I'll wait for the first idiot? saying this is a good idea, though.

There's also something called "Sunsoft Collection" coming for the PS2, as you can see. Hoping it's "something else" than the Memorial Series for the PS this time.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:46 am

They're not rumors; it's ONLY for the DS according to Famitsu.

yes, confirmed - but this morning it was prior to the Famitsu update (flying gets for the mag and advanced subs usually hit after noon JPN time).

Actually ... not sure it is confirmation of no Arcade version - but maybe i`m just overly hopeful on that one. :/

Not a series i see working on the DS (sales wise and technical) , then again - as Gaijin P alluded to - the series has been dying for at least the last 3 iterations.

Still annoying, always hoped they`d get back to older form.
Beautiful Burnout

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:23 am

Dumb question: which came first, Metal Slug 3 or Metal Slug X?

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:28 am

Greatsaintlouis wrote:Dumb question: which came first, Metal Slug 3 or Metal Slug X?

That's only "dumb" if you're not clueless, you know

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:27 am

Recap, you're so cute. Anybody have a useful reply worth reading?

In my head I want to put Metal Slug X before Metal Slug 3, as it's a remix of Metal Slug 2, but I recall reading somewhere that MSX actually uses the Metal Slug 3 engine. Is this correct?

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:53 am

Not a series i see working on the DS (sales wise and technical) , then again - as Gaijin P alluded to - the series has been dying for at least the last 3 iterations.
Agreed. After the crappiness of 6 I have no hope for metal slug's future.
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:56 am

Recap wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:Dumb question: which came first, Metal Slug 3 or Metal Slug X?

You know, there's no dumb questions, only dumb answers. c.i.p.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:In my head I want to put Metal Slug X before Metal Slug 3, as it's a remix of Metal Slug 2, but I recall reading somewhere that MSX actually uses the Metal Slug 3 engine. Is this correct?

MSX came out in '99 and MS3 in '00.

It is also my understanding that X uses MS3's engine (which was being developed after MS2) thus eliminating the technical problems that MS2 had.

@topic

I don't care about Metal Slug anymore either, but I am really curious about this title.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:13 am

citcelaid wrote:
Recap wrote:

You know, there's no dumb questions, only dumb answers. c.i.p.

Maybe yes! And maybe you should learn to differentiate "answers" from just mere comments and side notes, just wondering!

I don't care about Metal Slug anymore either, but I am really curious about this title.

Edit: My mistake. That's the forthcoming 07 Commando. Can't see how can you be "really curious" about that and "not caring" about MS anymore, but hey.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:39 am

Recap wrote:Maybe yes! And maybe you should learn to differentiate "answers" from just mere comments and side notes, just wondering!

It doesn't really matter if it was an answer or a comment/side note. Makes you come across like a dick either way. And you're not a dick, are you?

CT Special Forces is a series actually, and pretty substandard (Western product). The action and level design are just incredibly boring. Even more than Alien Hominid's.

Are you sure it is part of the CT Special Forces series? I thought 07 Commando is Taiwanese developed. (?)

EDIT:

edit: My mistake. That's the forthcoming 07 Commando. Can't see how can you be "really curious" about that and "not caring" about MS anymore, but hey.

Well, it'll be like Metal Slug, but with new design and sprites. That should automatically make it more interesting than any DS Metal Slug rehash.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:52 am

citcelaid wrote:
Recap wrote:Maybe yes! And maybe you should learn to differentiate "answers" from just mere comments and side notes, just wondering!

It doesn't really matter if it was an answer or a comment/side note. Makes you come across like a dick either way.

Oh, not at all, it just proves/reminds a previous point from myself. How's your opinion relevant at all if you can't even distiguish between answers and side notes, anyways?

Well, it'll be like Metal Slug, but with new design and sprites. That should automatically make it more interesting than any DS Metal Slug rehash

5 and 6 were not such a "rehash", in case, but "new design and sprites" in the wannabe-style rip-off which is 07 Commando (according to what has been shown)? That's more than a stretch, I'd say!

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:18 pm

Recap wrote:Oh, not at all, it just proves/reminds a previous point from myself. How's your opinion relevant at all if you can't even distiguish between answers and side notes, anyways?

bla

(this is not an answer btw, just a side note)

5 and 6 were not such a "rehash", in case, but "new design and sprites" in the wannabe-style rip-off which is 07 Commando (according to what has been shown)? That's more than a stretch, I'd say!

Wannabe for sure, but that doesn't necessarily need to be a bad thing. Demon Front was pretty good.
And it's not just a graphics/design issue btw, the biggest problem from MS3 onward was the games' unplayability, you know.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:26 pm

citcelaid wrote:
Recap wrote:Oh, not at all, it just proves/reminds a previous point from myself. How's your opinion relevant at all if you can't even distiguish between answers and side notes, anyways?

bla

(this is not an answer btw,

Doesn't seem like an argument to me unless you're 12-years old, either. But keep trying!

And it's not just a graphics/design issue btw, the biggest problem from MS3 onward was the games' unplayability, you know.

The one who talked about "rehashing" was you, not me, you know!

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:57 pm

Recap wrote:keep trying!

No thanks.

The who talked about "rehashing" was you, not me, you know!

You know the difference between rehash and rip-off/wannabe?

rehash = same ppl doing the same thing, essentially lazyness with the added symptoms of the law of diminishing returns in terms of game quality

...Chi No Rondo sprites being used 15 years onward in Gallery of Labyrinth
...lowres KoF sprites on AW hardware
...all later Metal Slugs (they all recycle stuff, so I don't agree with you on 5 and 6)

rip-off = different ppl imitating something

...Metal Slug -> Demon Front
...Gunstar Heroes -> Gunners Heaven
...Strider -> Cannon Dancer

A rip-off usually entails a bit more effort on part of the developer, and often the games can equal those they are imitating, and in some cases even surpass them.

Aside from being rehashes, Metal Slug 3, 4, 5 and 6 are also simply badly designed games that are not fun to play. So can you see why I'm curious where somebody else might take the formula and run with it? (Leaving aside the fact that it's a DS game.)

jiji
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby jiji » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:14 pm

citcelaid wrote:...Strider -> Cannon Dancer

Cannon Dancer actually involved original Strider staff that Strider 2 didn't, so I wouldn't consider it a ripoff. But yeah, point well taken.

And you're not a fan of 3? It was the last one by the original staff, as far as I know, and is pretty well-respected in most parts.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:26 pm

Yeah, I liked 3 come to think of it. It's 4 where it went tits up.
And GSL, your question was valid. I didn't know that X is a remixed/fixed/whatever version of 2 until not that long ago.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:33 pm

Yeah, I realize Cannon Dancer was done by some of Strider's staff, but that doesn't make it any less of a rip-off. As far as rip-offs go it's one of the best though, and almost as good as the original (possibly even better, although Strider has a particulary special meaning to me, and I think a lot of gamers).

As for Metal Slug 3, it starts out really great, but the final stage is just a big desaster and sucks all the fun out of what could've otherwise been a perfect game. As it stands, Metal Slug (1) is still the best game in the series, imo.

In this sense I feel there is a greater chance of a Metal Slug rip-off being a good game, than an actual Metal Slug title.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:50 pm

Some say Panzer Bandit is better than Guardian Heroes.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:59 pm

citcelaid wrote:
Recap wrote:keep trying!

No thanks.

Yeah, my guess.

The who talked about "rehashing" was you, not me, you know!

You know the difference between rehash and rip-off/wannabe?

Sure, but how does that have anything to do with the fact that you can't agree with yourself on what's bad about the later MS games?

rehash = same ppl doing the same thing, essentially lazyness with the added symptoms of the law of diminishing returns in terms of game quality

...Chi No Rondo sprites being used 15 years onward in Gallery of Labyrinth
...lowres KoF sprites on AW hardware

Only on "AW hardware"...?

...all later Metal Slugs (they all recycle stuff, so I don't agree with you on 5 and 6)

"Later"? You keeping apart "2", "X" and "3"? How aren't they "recycling stuff", too?

Aside from being rehashes, Metal Slug 3, 4, 5 and 6 are also simply badly designed games that are not fun to play. So can you see why I'm curious where somebody else might take the formula and run with it? (Leaving aside the fact that it's a DS game.)

3, 4, 5 and 6 were made by almost entirely different teams, and we just can't know who's SNK-P hiring this time to develope 7 nor have seen a single screenshot. So nope, I can't see how a made-in-China wannabe-style rip-off can inspire anyone more "curiousity" than something from a Japanese company, even if it "rehashes" stuff.

And GSL, your question was valid.

...But only if he's clueless, right?

Citcelaid wrote:Yeah, I realize Cannon Dancer was done by some of Strider's staff, but that doesn't make it any less of a rip-off.

Citcelaid wrote:rip-off = different ppl imitating something

??

So your lesson was a bit in the faulty side? : (

Some say Panzer Bandit is better than Guardian Heroes.

And the truth is that PB is more like an evolution of the Mad Stalker concept, by Fill in Cafテゥ themselves, which is even previous to Treasure's Yuu Yuu Hakusho, in case you're placing that as another rip-off example.
Last edited by Recap on Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bookish Fox
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Bookish Fox » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:01 pm

While not exactly thrilled that SNK is choosing the DS as the platform of choice, ideally I would prefer an arcade release followed by a port to a high end platform (360, etc.), I do believe that they are making a wise business choice. Look, SNK has been hemorrhaging money since their return from bankruptcy. They have been forced to release cheap cellphone fan service games in order to bring in easy money. Maybe now they'll actually turn a good profit by releasing a game to the largest audience.

And, since I suppose this is my first post here, hello all.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:10 pm

Bookish Fox wrote:While not exactly thrilled that SNK is choosing the DS as the platform of choice, ideally I would prefer an arcade release followed by a port to a high end platform (360, etc.), I do believe that they are making a wise business choice. Look, SNK has been hemorrhaging money since their return from bankruptcy. They have been forced to release cheap cellphone fan service games in order to bring in easy money. Maybe now they'll actually turn a good profit by releasing a game to the largest audience.

You most likely are right there, but I believe the ultimate point we must concern about is not the companies' profit but how full of crap the industry and users are these days.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:39 pm

You most likely are right there, but I believe the ultimate point we must concern about is not the companies' profit but how full of crap the industry and users are these days.

it`s an unfortunate reality that the two are intrinsically linked.

The industry right now has some negative points, but it has had low points before (Ocean platform-a-tie-in springs to mind) and it can recover.

It also has some insane high points.

But i`m probably one of those users who is full of crap. I`ll just say it before anyone else does.
Beautiful Burnout

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:46 pm

dcharlie wrote:
But i`m probably one of those users who is full of crap. I`ll just say it before anyone else does.

Gotta love when YOU play the victim, fella.

jiji
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby jiji » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:50 pm

Given Doki Doki Majo Shinpan's huge success on the platform, I'm not too surprised SNKP is putting MS7 there to begin with. (Though it's entirely possible that this project got moving before SNKP took notice of Doki Doki's preorder numbers.)

Anyway, perhaps we can look on the bright side while simultaneously keeping our expectations low. Maybe this will have a little more First Mission/Second Mission/Advance in it, and a little less MS4-6?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”