[DS] Metal Slug 7 - uh oh...

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:50 pm

Gotta love when YOU play the victim, fella.

*sigh*

is that all you want to do for the rest of your life? Fight with people?
over nothing as well? in this case a flippant comment rather than anything serious?

Sure must get lonely for you :(

How about you address my other points?
Beautiful Burnout

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:57 pm

dcharlie wrote:
Gotta love when YOU play the victim, fella.

*sigh*

is that all you want to do for the rest of your life? Fight with people?

Sure must get lonely.

How about you address my other points?

I myself in my loneliness am a little bit tired of "addressing points" to people who just aren't able once and again to get what one's saying, you know. Maybe later.

jiji
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby jiji » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Here we go.

http://namakoteam.com/images/scans/ms7.jpg

...wow, the pixelation. Wow, the sprite reuse. No big surprises there, though. Anybody recognize the backgrounds?

Article mentions combat school and missions, and I see switchable weapons, so yeah, we're probably looking at something similar to previous portable MSes.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:03 pm

I myself in my loneliness am a little bit tired of "addressing points" to people who just aren't able once and again to get what one's saying, you know. Maybe later.

so you post on message boards to preen like a peacock and not address any points because of some illfounded superiority complex? Bravo sir! Bravo!

The alternative solution is that your English level is a bit lacking and you are possibly learning from some rudeboy or something - which would make sense as to why you can`t string a sentence together without being offensive to all and sundry.
Beautiful Burnout

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:07 pm

See? You failed to get it all once again. "I'm tired of addressing points" = "I DO address TOO MANY points".

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:33 pm

jiji wrote:Here we go.

...wow, the pixelation. Wow, the sprite reuse. No big surprises there, though. Anybody recognize the backgrounds?

Article mentions combat school and missions, and I see switchable weapons, so yeah, we're probably looking at something similar to previous portable MSes.

Looks like another waste of time.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:34 pm

See? You failed to get it all once again. "I'm tired of addressing points" = "I DO address TOO MANY points".

this is actually progress - so the issue is your English.

Don`t get me wrong , your english is (on the surface) good - but the way you say things comes across with the wrong meaning, often tinged with a negative spin and often with a heavy line of arrogance.

So - as per this case, I`m failing to get your point because your use of english isn`t like a native. It makes sense now at least although I`m not sure you can lay the blame for that at my door.
Last edited by dcharlie on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beautiful Burnout

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:35 pm

Recap wrote:
And it's not just a graphics/design issue btw, the biggest problem from MS3 onward was the games' unplayability, you know.

The who talked about "rehashing" was you, not me, you know!

You know the difference between rehash and rip-off/wannabe?

Sure, but how does that have anything to do with the fact that you can't agree with yourself on what's bad about the later MS games?

I just explained it to you in simple terms, but apparently not simple enough.

The later Metal Slugs suffer from bad game design, and at the same time don't offer enough new graphics to retain something of interest. Those are two points of criticism that do not contradict each other.

rehash = same ppl doing the same thing, essentially lazyness with the added symptoms of the law of diminishing returns in terms of game quality

...Chi No Rondo sprites being used 15 years onward in Gallery of Labyrinth
...lowres KoF sprites on AW hardware

Only on "AW hardware"...?

Sure, we can throw in some lame MVS KoFs too, I'm just giving examples here. Hardly worth splitting hairs over.

...all later Metal Slugs (they all recycle stuff, so I don't agree with you on 5 and 6)

"Later"? You keeping apart "2", "X" and "3"? How aren't they "recycling stuff", too?

Did you notice I mentioned the law of diminishing returns?
Mostly, things that are great the first time, are still cool the second time, just okay the third time, and then they start getting boring fast, if there is no drastic overhaul. It's especially bad in cases like the MS series, where the games actually regress.

Aside from being rehashes, Metal Slug 3, 4, 5 and 6 are also simply badly designed games that are not fun to play. So can you see why I'm curious where somebody else might take the formula and run with it? (Leaving aside the fact that it's a DS game.)

3, 4, 5 and 6 were made by almost entirely different teams, and we just can't know who's SNK-P hiring this time to develope 7 nor have seen a single screenshot. So nope, I can't see how a made-in-China wannabe-style rip-off can inspire anyone more "curiousity" than something from a Japanese company, even if it "rehashes" stuff.

The fact that videos exist of 07 Commando and not of MS7, should be enough to inspire more curiousity for the former game. There is simply nothing to be curious about in MS7, other than a bad track record of other Metal Slug sequels.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, wow...
:roll:

Citcelaid wrote:Yeah, I realize Cannon Dancer was done by some of Strider's staff, but that doesn't make it any less of a rip-off.

Citcelaid wrote:rip-off = different ppl imitating something

??

So your lesson was a bit in the faulty side? : (

So your reading comprehension is maybe a bit on the faulty side?

same ppl/company 竕

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:27 pm

uhh, guys, it's recap? -> just ignore

citcelaid wrote:...Tetris -> Puyo Puyo

This is something that's always made me wonder. Can Puyo really be considered a clone of Tetris? I'm not all that clued up on puzzle game history, but Tetris and Puyo seem to be a world apart from each other.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:42 pm

Well, it depends on how broadly you want to look at it, but I think all Ochi games are essentially knock-offs of Tetris in one way or another.
Of course they can still be good games. Later in its life the Puyo series evolved into primarily a versus game and developed a lot more tactical finesse, of course.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:46 pm

citcelaid wrote:...Ogre Battle -> Final Fantasy Tactics

Just picky, but it's actually Tactics Ogre -> FFT. OB plays quite differently.

Anyway, is it my imagination or has Dolphin Blue been the best Metal Slug style game since it was released? Unfortunately, I find these games very uninspiring anyway.

;)

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:20 pm

Tetris -> Puyo Puyo
Actually I think it goes...
Tetris -> Puyo Puyo -> Panel De Pon
But that's just me :P
I think they're ripped from The Journeyman Project ??
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

icycalm
#1 video game and art theorist in his world
#1 video game and art theorist in his world

Postby icycalm » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:51 pm

nem wrote:uhh, guys, it's recap? -> just ignore

If I had to choose between ignoring recap and ignoring you, I'd choose you anytime. In fact I'd go as far as to say that whoever would choose differently is an idiot.

nem wrote:I'm not all that clued up on...(insert anything here)

And this is why.

Also, MS7 lol.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:15 pm

Ganelon wrote:Anyway, is it my imagination or has Dolphin Blue been the best Metal Slug style game since it was released?

You know, I've been trying to find it in an arcade somewhere ever since its release as it looked like it could be an interesting take on the series, but I just have yet to come across one.
GaijinPunch wrote:Yeah, I liked 3 come to think of it. It's 4 where it went tits up.

Agreed. 4 was the first one developed by Noise Factory, correct? When I first played 4 it already had one strike against it in that it removed the character I usually use, but then it follows up with just being dirt boring. Granted, there weren't a lot of gameplay advances between 2, 3, and X, but the levels had a fair amount of charm to them that was lost in the later ones. You've got the zombies from the alien meteorite in 3, the town full of sword-weilding Middle East stereotypes (an especially funny level to play in the post-9-11 world) followed by the pyramid filled with mummies... There was just a lot more creativity that went into the level design, and while the mechanics haven't changed a whole heck of a lot through the whole series, the creativity has definitely petered out.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:25 am

You know, I've been trying to find it in an arcade somewhere ever since its release as it looked like it could be an interesting take on the series, but I just have yet to come across one.

You're going to have a hard time finding it. The cart is now down in the 10,000 yen range. It was never a really huge seller. I only saw it in a few cabs around town when it first came out.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

nem
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nem » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:29 pm

icycalm wrote:
nem wrote:uhh, guys, it's recap? -> just ignore

If I had to choose between ignoring recap and ignoring you, I'd choose you anytime. In fact I'd go as far as to say that whoever would choose differently is an idiot.

Absolutely. People love teh drama.

jiji
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby jiji » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:25 pm

Video. http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video-exclu-1-g ... 44182.html

Looks like the entire game screen is being scaled down to fit the DS resolution (or perhaps the sprites and backgrounds are being scaled independently). Most of the animation seems intact (reused as it is). Blood is white. There's a heat meter at the bottom of the screen that I don't really understand... some kind of super-move bar, maybe? Regardless, this is looking and sounding like something they just threw together in time for the show and Famitsu article.

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:08 pm

jiji wrote:Video. http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video-exclu-1-g ... 44182.html

Looks like the entire game screen is being scaled down to fit the DS resolution (or perhaps the sprites and backgrounds are being scaled independently). Most of the animation seems intact (reused as it is). Blood is white. There's a heat meter at the bottom of the screen that I don't really understand... some kind of super-move bar, maybe? Regardless, this is looking and sounding like something they just threw together in time for the show and Famitsu article.
That's the scoring system. I'm not sure when it was introduced (probably in metal slug 5 or 6.) Fill it up to get x16s and coins from destroyed enemies/objects. Grab a bunch of coins in a row quickly and they increase in value.
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

Return to “Japanese Video Games”