Wonderswan/Wonderswan Color

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Wonderswan/Wonderswan Color

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:16 pm

So as much as I love my DS, the majority of games I remembered to bring to Japan with me are RPGs, which don't play well in short 5-10 minutes bursts while waiting for the train or in between switching trains. Even then, I'm a bit hesitant to just snap the thing shut and shove it in my pocket when I need to take off in a hurry, so I'm looking for something else to play on the go (without having to resort to buying a Gameboy Micro). I found several Wonderswan and Wonderswan Color units at a local Hard Off for dirt cheap; are there any reasonably simple titles that can be played in short bursts (i.e. puzzle, shooter, arcade-style) that are worth picking up?

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:35 pm

There's Tetris, Gunpey, Mr. Driller and Rhyme Rider Kerorican.

Judgement Silversword is a really great score-driven shooter, but pretty expensive. Easily the best WS game though.

The only other shooting game is Run=Dim which is also rare and expensive but sucks.

Makaimura and Rainbow Islands were really fun, despite being b/w.

mog123
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mog123 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:56 pm

I don't know bout action games, But if I had a WS I'd definitely buy chocobo no fushigi na dungeon and Densha de go:) The digimon games look nice too
Check out my GBA game in development : 窶戲窶「ツィナ津ェ

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:30 pm

I just want to add that if you're looking for some nice quick games on the go, you should probably just buy something new for GBA/DS.

The WS is a nice little toy to mess around with for game collectors/historians but the lack of background display is kind of bothersome.

Also, if you get a WS, make sure to get a SwanCrystal as the display is MUCH sharper than on the other units. You can get them new for $8, so you won't need to skip lunch to acquire one. ;)

mog123
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mog123 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:57 pm

citcelaid wrote:You can get them new for $8, so you won't need to skip lunch to acquire one. ;)

Please tell me where to get one that cheap.
Check out my GBA game in development : 窶戲窶「ツィナ津ェ

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:10 pm

I just bought it at Eiden (Japanese version of Best Buy).

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:58 am

There's a nice Zelda-ish game for Wonderswan Color called "Star Hearts - Hoshi to Daichi no Shisha." Take the title with a grain of salt, I'm not sure how correct it is.
There are a couple of Square rpgs (one of my favorite's, Romancing SaGa!)
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

Return to “Japanese Video Games”