[360] The beginning of the end: Ketsui & DOJBL for 360

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Technosphile
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Technosphile » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:02 am

If this is JPN-only with region lockout, I'd say thats a pretty solid "fuck you" to all the white boys.

"Stop posting my picture on your website!!!"

:whack:

Dais
Resident Fuck You
Resident Fuck You

Postby Dais » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:36 am

Technosphile wrote:fgtry?

I do believe I'm unfamiliar with this no doubt very charming term.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:36 pm

There is not going to be a sprite redraw. Think about how many companies have legitimatly done this, ever. All they will do is apply some filtering to scale the graphics so AV nerds won't moan and groan about what they consider to be dated visuals.

I hate it when companies see pixels and feel they need to "fix" them. As if the game is broken? Either they run them through a warpy super-eagle filter or blur out the graphics.

A perfect example of is the butchered North American release of King of Fighters 2001. They took all of the backgrounds and essentially loaded the sprites into photoshop redrawing over all of the pixel art:

Original:

Code: Select all

image+com+com‾gamespot‾images‾2003‾screen0‾918878_20030909_screen008+jpg

US PS2 Port

Code: Select all

image+com+com‾gamespot‾images‾2003‾reviews‾918878_20031215_screen028+jpg

+ = dots
‾ = slashes

Notice the raped graphics on the US port. Its as if they took the sprites into photoshop and used the smudge tool on them to get rid of the pixel distinctions, then added an overall blur on top of it.

(Note: In this double pack release, KOF2000's sprites are arcade perfect with no sprite tampering.)

I prefer pixels, and hate it when companies try to smooth them out through blurring and filtering.

Ketsui is a long sought after shooter by many, because it hasn't been emulated yet and was not ported to any console. If for whatever reason the game never gets brought to the PS3, I recommend looking into buying the actual PCB and checking out some consolized JAMMA setups. Its cheaper than some might think.

Anything 360 is a non-option as far as I am concerned. Its a shame Ketsui's first outing on a console is one that is so poorly designed. High failure rate, eats discs, poor data backup options, etc etc

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Are you absolutely certain about this? I thought all PS2 versions of KOF01 (the Nests Hen excepting) used the new portraits and 3D backgrounds. And those don't appear to be just filtered versions of the old backgrounds even though they look very similar (and odd next to the low-res sprites). Just look at the hidden pedestal base, less shrubbery at the very end, and the closer spaced top-right trigram on the Korean flag in the pictures you provided.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:19 pm

The backgrounds in PS2 KOF2001 are not actually 3D at all, but paralaxed 2D sprites that were altered. The reason I used this example is because instead of working from higher grade art stills, it looks like they took the existing sprites from the game, and went bananas on them in photoshop. It all looks like some cheap Mugen knockoff rather than a professional product. Especially with that gross cloud FMV. Ughhh...

I don't want to call these practices lazy because obviously they took time and effort to impliment. (Shoehorning Dreamcast ports onto NESTS collection was lazy.) When developers try to spruce up a 2D game, they often make the wrong decision.

So far the only method I agree with when rendering sprites on a non-interlaced display, is to use scan lines.

If the developers want to do Ketsui justice, they should simply render the game at the proper resolution where it doesn't generate sprite flicker, and then include variable settings for scanline overlays.

Though I don't think they can do anything to curb the fact that playing vertical shooters on a horizontal 16:9 display is a downright silly experience.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:46 pm

Well I've been messing with the Raiden Fighters Aces demo for 360. Success did a fantastic job with this one. Support for just about everything you could want. Who knows if 5pb will put this kind of effort into their games, but I have hope. ;)
Stronger then your average deadite

Return to “Japanese Video Games”