Good arcade games that aren't emulated

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Good arcade games that aren't emulated

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:26 pm

I think I'm going to break down and buy a Control Box (Super Gun) as I've gathered a lot of information, and some help by the guys at the Assembler board. There's a very nice one made here that is a bit pricey, but is very compact (and professional looking) Anyways, I'm thinking of what games to get. Unemulated and/or poorly emulated games are obviously what I'm interested in. My initial thoughts. DoDonpachi II (IGS -- not that expensive either) Dragon Blaze (Psikyo Shooter) Ketsui (Cave shooter -- kinda pricey) Demon Front (IGS -- cheap) Macross Macross Plus Crack Down (old school Sega game) I'd love to get Gain Ground, but it's a very rare board. One shop in Akihabara has it, but it's 150,000 yen. :( Any other suggestions?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Von-Zipper
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Von-Zipper » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:48 pm

Hmm yes, Progear, that's look as a really amazing shooter. And maybe HyperNeo 64 games, that's look as great pieces of crap.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:13 pm

Everything running on Data East's 32-bit system (Cannon Dancer, Night Slashers, Joe & Mac Returns, The Great Rag Time Show...) is great and probably won't have emulation ever. War-Zard. Rabbit from Aorn / EA Japan. Kyuukyoku!! PC Genjin. Raiden Fighters and its sequels. Viper Phase 1. Light Bringer and Akkanvader (F3's emulation is still poor). Geostorm, League Man, Ganhooki, Hook, R-Type Leo (Irem's M92 emulation is also poor). Gouketsuji Gaiden. Groove on Fight (ST-V version is much better than the SS one, of course). Taisen Tanto-R Sasshisu!. Asura Buster. Namco System 2 / NB1 games (Mirai Ninja, Dragon Saber, Rolling Thunder 2, Nebulas Ray, the Outfoxies...). Dragon Blaze and Macross Plus have both near perfect emulation today, thoe, specially the former. IGS' Do Donpachi 2 is substandard. Forget it.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:17 pm

I've always wanted to try Bangai-oh fo N64, but it seems it cannot be emulated... I guess I'll have to wait until I get an N64, so I can pick it up... Has anyone played it? What's it like in comparison to the DC version?

NeoX
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby NeoX » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:05 pm

Shikigami no Shiro 2 Ikaruga
Last edited by NeoX on Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:17 pm

I'd personally go for a few of the games that have controls that can't be really emulated well. Ones with trackball and other oddities like that. I know that might not be doable though.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:41 pm

Azazel wrote:I'd personally go for a few of the games that have controls that can't be really emulated well. Ones with trackball and other oddities like that. I know that might not be doable though.
Trackballs are traditionally a pain in the ass, and require may more time then I'm willing to put in. If I did do one of those, it'd be Sonic Arcade, but I've net to see that board anywhere.
Shikigami no Shiro 2 Ikaruga
Got 'em on the DC. Should've mentioned "not emulated and not converted for a home system[/url]
Everything running on Data East's 32-bit system (Cannon Dancer, Night Slashers, Joe & Mac Returns, The Great Rag Time Show...) is great and probably won't have emulation ever.
Never heard of these. I'll have to check them out.
Gouketsuji Gaiden. Groove on Fight (ST-V version is much better than the SS one, of course).
There was an ST-V set w/ motherboard that went really cheap on YJ last week. 18,000 yen for the mobo and 10 games. There's just not enough stuff there that's not on the Saturn.
(Mirai Ninja, Dragon Saber, Rolling Thunder 2, Nebulas Ray, the Outfoxies...).
I've not tested them, but I thought these played really well in MAME.
Dragon Blaze and Macross Plus have both near perfect emulation today, thoe, specially the former
Really? What emulator? Macross Plus is poorly emulated in MAME, and won't even run on MameOX (where I play 98% of my MAME stuff) and I don't see Dragon Blaze listed there. [qutoe]IGS' Do Donpachi 2 is substandard. Forget it.[/quote] Not what I wanted to here. Is it really that bad? What happened? Everything else in the series is so good. I need to find another game for the system... don't want to get he board for just one cartridge. Have you played Ketsui? I've not seen it in the local arcades (it came out when to me, arcades meant Virtua Fighter 4). It's a Cave shooter, but is still a bit on the expensive side. I figure it they were going to port it, they'd have done so by now. EDIT: What about Taito G-Net software? Night Raid and Chaos Heat seem to be the only two games worth getting though.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:48 am

Has anyone ever gotten Hyper Duel to work? It seems to be a great shooter by technosoft, but after character select, MAME crashes on me... :(

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:03 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Everything running on Data East's 32-bit system (Cannon Dancer, Night Slashers, Joe & Mac Returns, The Great Rag Time Show...) is great and probably won't have emulation ever.
They are some of the best 2D stuff ever done for the arcade market, in my opinion, especially Cannon Dancer ( http://boards.gamers.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=dcharlie&id=zzytt). This is a good site to look for some screens: http://emustatus.rainemu.com/index.html. Click on 'The Database'. "There was an ST-V set w/ motherboard that went really cheap on YJ last week. 18,000 yen for the mobo and 10 games. There's just not enough stuff there that's not on the Saturn." GOF and Sasshishu!! would be enough for me. "Perfect" Purikura Daisakusen, Soukyuu Gurentai and Golden Axe the Duel are other nice reasons.
(Mirai Ninja, Dragon Saber, Rolling Thunder 2, Nebulas Ray, the Outfoxies...).
"I've not tested them, but I thought these played really well in MAME." Not really. NB1 games miss important effects. But that's me. "Really? What emulator? Macross Plus is poorly emulated in MAME, and won't even run on MameOX (where I play 98% of my MAME stuff) and I don't see Dragon Blaze listed there." There's a Macross game with good state MAME emulation and another one with impossible-to-emulate sound. I'm not sure which one is what now. Latest versions of MAME emulate Dragon Blaze flawlessly, that's sure. [qutoe]IGS' Do Donpachi 2 is substandard. Forget it.[/quote] "Not what I wanted to here. Is it really that bad? What happened? Everything else in the series is so good. I need to find another game for the system... don't want to get he board for just one cartridge." It is. It's made in Taiwan under license from Cave, unlike all the other games in the series. The "board" for this game is the PGM, which supports just the Taiwanese IGS cartridge-based games. There're some nice games there (Demon Front, Martial Masters, Knights of Valour 2... -Western names here-), but don't expect Japanese quality. Cave games, even using a PGM hardware basis, are not compatible, but independent PCBs. "Have you played Ketsui? I've not seen it in the local arcades (it came out when to me, arcades meant Virtua Fighter 4). It's a Cave shooter, but is still a bit on the expensive side. I figure it they were going to port it, they'd have done so by now." Nope. I don't think a home version of this will come ever, if you ask. Arika skipped it and made the Espgaluda port instead. Maybe, if this sells extremely well... "EDIT: What about Taito G-Net software? Night Raid and Chaos Heat seem to be the only two games worth getting though." Crap 3D material. G-Darius ver. 2 is probably the other good thing there without a decent port. Get an F3 instead.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:08 am

Hyper Duel you can get on the Saturn. I'm not sure if it's worth it's high price tag but it's still a good game. It's like Thunder Force but you can change between a space ship and a slower more powerful mech. Also Dragon Saber was released as a PC Engine hucard.

eight one
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby eight one » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:12 am

Trackballs are traditionally a pain in the ass, and require may more time then I'm willing to put in. If I did do one of those, it'd be Sonic Arcade, but I've net to see that board anywhere.
Mak has had one at some point. I think they still do.
Gouketsuji Gaiden. Groove on Fight (ST-V version is much better than the SS one, of course).
There was an ST-V set w/ motherboard that went really cheap on YJ last week. 18,000 yen for the mobo and 10 games. There's just not enough stuff there that's not on the Saturn.
You know these are two separate games, right? (As Von pointed out)
Not what I wanted to here. Is it really that bad? What happened? Everything else in the series is so good. I need to find another game for the system... don't want to get he board for just one cartridge.
Get any of the KOV games. DDP2 is a disgrace to the series. Maybe not a total disgrace, but don't have your hopes up if you expect it to fit the legacy.
Have you played Ketsui? I've not seen it in the local arcades (it came out when to me, arcades meant Virtua Fighter 4). It's a Cave shooter, but is still a bit on the expensive side. I figure it they were going to port it, they'd have done so by now
. Go to Hey or Try Tower in Akihabara. You'll likely find it there.
PROSCEUTEDT TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:30 am

They are some of the best 2D stuff ever done for the arcade market, in my opinion, especially Cannon Dancer
Wow -- that does look very good. I'll try to locate that one. Very nice - thanks for the tip.
GOF and Sasshishu!! would be enough for me. "Perfect" Purikura Daisakusen, Soukyuu Gurentai and Golden Axe the Duel are other nice reasons.
While I like those games, I don't like them enough to warrant the $$ and space it would take up. One day, maybe, but there's other stuff I'd want more.
There's a Macross game with good state MAME emulation and another one with impossible-to-emulate sound.
According to http://www.mame.net/screenshotsM.html Macross has no sound emulation, but graphic emulation is good. Macross Plus has imperfect graphics emulation and no sound. Macross II is just a poor game.
I'm not sure which one is what now. Latest versions of MAME emulate Dragon Blaze flawlessly, that's sure.
http://www.mame.net/screenshotsD3.html This says otherwise. Guess I should try it out for myself before I buy a PCB. :)
There're some nice games there (Demon Front, Martial Masters, Knights of Valour 2... -Western names here-), but don't expect Japanese quality.
Yeah, I like Demon Front. I was seriously thinking of picking up DDPII -- glad this thread came into being.
Cave games, even using a PGM hardware basis, are not compatible, but independent PCBs.
I read at system16 that all "later games" require their own PCB, as opposed to a cartridge. I knew Ketsui did.
Crap 3D material. G-Darius ver. 2 is probably the other good thing there without a decent port. Get an F3 instead.
And I don't like Darius, so that's totally out now.
You know these are two separate games, right? (As Von pointed out)
and I don't particularly care for either of them.
Go to Hey or Try Tower in Akihabara. You'll likely find it there.
I'd like to find it to play before buying. Man, Tokyo needs an arcade database, of what's in what game center. It would be a project though, that's for sure. I can't even keep up with what's in the few arcades I go to!

eight one
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby eight one » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:09 am

I'd like to find it to play before buying. Man, Tokyo needs an arcade database, of what's in what game center. It would be a project though, that's for sure. I can't even keep up with what's in the few arcades I go to!
Here's a few quick tips: To get to the Hey arcade in Akihabara, It's 1/2 bolck away from Club Sega on the main street. One floor is 60% shooters! Heck, one section is all of the Cave games! Do you know where that McDonald's is? Go along that back street away from from the station and you'll runinto the Try Amusement Tower. They have SEVEN floors of cool games. I know there's a Ketsui there. If you decide to go to Shinjuku, go out the EAST exit. You'll run into one of the many Sportsland arcades and Amusement Forum more. If it helps, maybe we should meet up next week.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:54 am

Is Hey Amusement center owned by Taito? It's relatively new, right? I saw a multifloor game place last time I was there, but it was after work, which means I had like 60 minutes to hit the shops. I toyed w/ the idea of going in, but didn't. Yeah, I can hook up sometime. Weekends are defintiely better, unless you feel like running from store to store. :D

Pingu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pingu » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:04 am

The taito Gnet is quite funny with games such as RC de Go. A naomi could be an idea too, the system itself will set you back about Y35000 but games can be quite cheap.
Panda papanda kopanda

eight one
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby eight one » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:33 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Is Hey Amusement center owned by Taito? It's relatively new, right? I saw a multifloor game place last time I was there, but it was after work, which means I had like 60 minutes to hit the shops. I toyed w/ the idea of going in, but didn't.
You should of. Better variety than Club Sega. Yep, Taito does own it.
Yeah, I can hook up sometime. Weekends are defintiely better, unless you feel like running from store to store. :D
I already do that. After all, my weekends might be Tuesday through Thursday. How about next weekend?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:46 am

Saturday? Sunday? I'm sure I can squeeze in time either way. Just LMK what's better for you, and where/when you want to meet. What part of town will you be coming from? Is there a big VF layout there? I would imagine the VF:Evo scene in the Sega arcade would be better though. Well, I'll definitely put it on my list of things to do next time.

Darkchii
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Darkchii » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:19 pm

Yeah Dragon Blaze, Macross Plus and Macross2 are pretty much perfectly emulated. Here is a good site with every ROM you want a bit slow but its free ;) http://www.playagain.net/
AKA SegaSlut/Psykotic Geisha

eight one
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby eight one » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:25 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Saturday? Sunday? I'm sure I can squeeze in time either way. Just LMK what's better for you, and where/when you want to meet. What part of town will you be coming from? Is there a big VF layout there? I would imagine the VF:Evo scene in the Sega arcade would be better though. Well, I'll definitely put it on my list of things to do next time.
Club Sega has a floor that's 95% VF4Evo. Does that tell you anything? :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:07 pm

Darkchii wrote:Yeah Dragon Blaze, Macross Plus and Macross2 are pretty much perfectly emulated
I guess one thing to keep in mind when playing TATE games in mame, is that the screen is significantly smaller, since the emulator scales it to fit on your TV/monitor. Club Sega: They've ditched a lot of those EVO machines. It's still pretty much a versus floor, but only half of the games are Evo. :) EDIT: Funny -- this is site is using the same FTP as another site I found. Time for my perl script to suck the life out of it.... I can't wait 10 seconds to start each download. :D

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:04 am

Gaijin Punch wrote: I guess one thing to keep in mind when playing TATE games in mame, is that the screen is significantly smaller, since the emulator scales it to fit on your TV/monitor.
You can play MAME games in a vertical displayed monitor. You can even get a video card to support native resolutions and use a low res RGB TV / monitor. It's called "Arcade VGA".

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:19 am

I dont know much about arcade systems, and what works with what cabinet, but what about Sammy's Atomiswave system? Theres heaps of awesome games on that and Sammy have said there not going to make a console system for it.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:37 am

Macaw wrote:I dont know much about arcade systems, and what works with what cabinet, but what about Sammy's Atomiswave system? Theres heaps of awesome games on that.
Which ones? I've only seen poor versions of classic games or "crap 3D material" on it. Want to see The Rumble Fish, thoe.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:42 am

I read up and saw that Mame on the PC supports rotating (TATE). Nice... now I just need to throw my monitor over on its side and get a good controller. :) I agree with Recap for the most part on Atomiswave. Most of the games are not that good. Dolphin Blue is the only one I would buy, but it's still over $500 for the ROM alone. Demolition Fist is dirt cheap (less than $100) but isn't that good. KOF will start coming out on them soon, but w/o an internet connection, and most likely a card, it's unplayable (makes it almost worthless at home, unless you have the full cabinet... or at least the extra boards (one for the NIC, and one for the card). That's assuming they use Net City as the standard cabinet (that's what VF currently uses). Rumblefish -- it looks nice if you're into those 2D fighters. I've only given it a glance (haven't played it) but it has cell-shaded-ish (if not real cel-shaded) graphics. I've really only watched it in passing. I should sit down and play it soon.

eight one
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby eight one » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:12 am

Gaijin Punch wrote: Club Sega: They've ditched a lot of those EVO machines. It's still pretty much a versus floor, but only half of the games are Evo. :)
Hey has better variety. So does Try.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”