I can't remember shit about the RPGs I've played

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

I can't remember shit about the RPGs I've played

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Trying to pull details out of my ass, I can't remember any of the stories (other than the first two Phantasy Stars, since I played them like 20 times each). I was looking around for endings on Youtube to add to the Staff Roll list. I stumbled across the FFX ending. Did the main character die? I think I recall that. I played the game, and I'll be fucked if I remember anything other than the guy w/ the patch being a ghost, and the main guy being an underwater soccer player.

The Eternal Manas I've played most recently. Good games, good battle systems, terrible stories... so I guess it's okay that I dn't remember those.

Am I old, or is this par for the course?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:14 pm

I'm forgetting them by the day too; I used to know an insane amount about Star Ocean 2, SaGa Frontier, FFV, and FFT; I don't even like SO2 but now I can't even remember their plots too clearly or the locations of all the hidden stuff. Then again, it seems I forget a lot of things nowadays that I don't consider to be important. Early signs of Alzheimer's?

Of course, for my favorite RPGs like Lunar and PS, I'm actually deliberately trying to forget them so that one day, when I have the chance to replay them (like next month when the PS Complete Collection is out ;)), I'll savor the games all the more.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:41 am

Lunar is one I should try. I have them now too, so no excuse, eh? Maybe I'll bust one out to play 30-60 minutes here and there before I go to bed. Phantasy Star... yeah, I'll never forget those. The most recent ones I've played (other than generations) was End of the Millenium, which I only played once previously. So, I might play I first, then IV. I can't be bothered with II these days. Too much grinding, and it was never as special as I to me.

Grandia is probably a close 2nd, even though I've only played it once. It's painfully long at about 50 hours, but horribly fun, even with the annoying kids as the main characters. Too bad they don't make games like that anymore.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:05 am

Man, I never liked Grandia. It's like Lunar with skill leveling, annoying characters, too many green and gray dungeons, too many towns to save, uninteresting villains, too much percussion in the music, almost no character deaths, an anticlimactic endgame scenario, a second half completely diverging from the first and feels a lot like it was inspired from FFVII, and a host of other issues.

Top it off with the horrible menu access time in both the SS and PS versions and the disappointment I had when I imported the SS version (my first for that system) and I look on Grandia with sadness. But that's probably because I was expecting something as atmospheric and "magical" as Lunar; I will acknowledge that Grandia has high production values.

PSIV is the most special of PSs for me. Not sure of the order of the others although since I started with PSII, PSI doesn't bring as much nostalgia.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:27 am

I played PSI over and over when I was in junior high. $70 games were not going to be happening that often in my house, and it was hard to find used games back then. So, I played it and played it. PSII was a similar case, but didn't play it quite as much. PSIII I played all the endings quite a few times, and I never played PSIV until I moved to Japan and played it on an emulator. The emulator didn't even run in Windows... it was some DOS thing, no fake scanlines. Man, it was ugly. But, just like the days of PSI, I was now poor again as it was my first year out of college. Great way to kill time when you have no money.

No, as irony would have it, I can afford the games I want... but can only play a handful of them...RPGs pretty much taking a back seat until I retire.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:16 am

I have to agree with Ganelon, Lunar+Lunar II are much more enjoyable games then Grandia. The Lunar battle system is a bit slow by today's standards, but the characters are some of the best ever in my opinion. I replay them once a year (I rotate between the SCD/Sat/PS1 versions).

Growlanser was another fine RPG, I need to replay it again soon.
Stronger then your average deadite

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:31 am

Growlanser suffered from the same thing most RPGs suffer from: at least one painfully annoying character (the fairy), and of course some other lame ones. It was fun, I'll give it that, but it should've been about half the length it was.

For me, the battle system trumps all in an RPG. I could care less about the characters (most of the time, b/c they're so flat). Ever since the Phantasy Star games anyway.

Imhotep
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Imhotep » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:01 pm

I remember certain bits of the few rpgs I've played or watched my brother play. The only ones I've really enjoyed recently are the two Paper Marios.

From time to time I try to give the genre another chance, which always gets wasted. This because the story and characters are forgettable, and the games are too long and slow for my taste.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:32 pm

and the games are too long and slow for my taste.

That's the key. Even with some action thrown in (Tales) the games just get monotonous. I think the Eternal Mana series is the only one that held my interest the whole way through, and Grand Fantasm lost it around 10 hours in (although I finished the game).

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:45 am

The problem is your playing shit games.

Play:

Soul Blader
Gaia Gensouki
Tenchi Souzo
Rejoice: Aretha Oukoku No Kanata
Neugier

All action RPG's, all masterpieces, all on SFC. You will not get even slightly bored.

Neugier in particular literally takes about 40 mins to finish, and is a rollercoaster ride as soon as you hit the 2 minute mark, so you have no excuse ;)
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:28 am

Seriously? 40 minutes?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:46 am

40 minutes.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:52 am

Macaw wrote:40 minutes.

I'm in!

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:49 am

I'm with you on the forgetting details, GP. After you play so many of the games, the striking thematic similarities of all of them just kindof lump together in your memory to form this one amorphous blob that you can't really extricate a single definite game experience from.

That said, I'm a fan of the original Lunar as well, and while I'm a bit loath to say this, the original Final Fantasy has a certain amount of charm in its dated-ness. Maybe look for the PSX remake and not the Famicom original. That was the RPG that I played over and over in my youth, it being the first NES game I ever bought with my own hard-earned money. The music still sticks in my mind to this day. The gameplay itself is a lot of level grinding, slogging through dungeons with no map, and the annoying ability to save only on the world map or in towns, but for some reason these are more like endearing qualities than horrible faults. Don't ask me why.

Did you ever try Star Ocean 2? It's a bit like the Tales games with the active battles, but with a little more depth.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:11 pm

You ought to try the Oasis/Thor series if you haven't already, GP. Both the MD and SS games are under 10 hours, all action, and among the best ARPGs IMO.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:48 pm

I have the Saturn one here in a stack I bought. Was thinking of busting it out.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:00 am

I didn't like Legend of Oasis. But Beyond Oasis on the genesis, you need to play that. Both Lunars are great, but I recommend Popful Mail, they just don't make games like that anymore. :(

I've heard good stuff about Legend of Xanadu II, but since I'm illiterate in terms of Japanese, I can't tell you how the story plays out.

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne is my all time favorite RPG ever. Its dark, gritty, got great music, no stupid love story, and just plain cool. I put over 300 hours in total with that game.

Hell, if you don't wanna go play RPGs, there's always PCE Spriggan.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:28 am

Popful Mail is good. I really like all three versions, but the MCD one just smokes them all. I got stuck halfway through the PC-Engine version, but cleared the Super Famicom version. I've not put too much time in one the MCD one, but will.

Xanadu II is really pretty, but it suffers the same fate of a lot of old Falcom games from the time. Go to A, go to B, back to A, then to C and D, then back to A, then to C, then to B. Really annoying. I think you could actually swing your sword in this one though. With the aforementioned, you need to be pretty literate to make it through.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:39 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Popful Mail is good. I really like all three versions, but the MCD one just smokes them all. I got stuck halfway through the PC-Engine version, but cleared the Super Famicom version. I've not put too much time in one the MCD one, but will.

Popful mail is such a weird series, considering almost every incarnation of it is a totally different game, yet Falcom called them all the same thing. They should have just called the MCD and SFC versions Popful Mail 2.

Personally I like the pc98 version the best (Theres also a pc88 version which is the same but less fancy graphics)

Basically they are much fancier versions of the PC-E version.

Gaijin Punch wrote:Xanadu II is really pretty, but it suffers the same fate of a lot of old Falcom games from the time. Go to A, go to B, back to A, then to C and D, then back to A, then to C, then to B. Really annoying. I think you could actually swing your sword in this one though. With the aforementioned, you need to be pretty literate to make it through.

Nope, you only swing your sword in the boss battles where the game goes side-on view. Field battling still involves ramming.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:46 am

Field battling still involves ramming.

So stupid. Kills it for me.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:45 pm

haha this topic title rules, cracks me up everytime i see it cause im the same way.. getting senile..

i know ive played thru suikoden, dark saviour and alundra for instance.. cant tell you shite about em or what happens in them tho.

only 3 RPGs i played to death are FF7, xenogears and shadowrun but i can bareley remember the jest of even them.. :(

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:35 pm

YS book I & II. I heard the Ps2 version is really good.

Tales of Eternia was excellent too.

Estopolis series I always enjoyed, if not a bit harder than a normal rpg.

Don't forget the Megaten series, those should suck up all your free time.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:51 am

Gah, I forgot these:

Neutopia II
Vay
Land Stalker
Lady Stalker
Breath of Fire III
YS IV- you can enjoy this more than I can, since I can't read all of it. Takes some grinding.
Vagrant Story

That should keep you busy. You aren't old enough to have memory loss.

PCEngine_Hunter
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby PCEngine_Hunter » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:19 pm

It may be because I am getting old or because RPGs just aren't what they used to be,(I blame YOU Square!!) but the games that have really stuck in my mind are from the 16-BIT and Saturn days. The Lunar games on the Mega-CD I adore and along with Grandia are my "No.1" games of all time. I must have played the original Lunar 30 times or more. I was ecstatic about Silver Star Story when I got it (and when it was announced of course! I think the very early version first shown in Saturn Fan on a poster looked MUCH better than the final game) but that faded after about 5 hours play and then i was hugely dissapointed :(

I am just so glad I no longer have to be subjected to the second rate garbage that working designs spewed out in their English "translations" and can play the original games as intended by the incredible team at Studio Alex and Game Arts. I personally think "The Silver Star" suffered the least from the translations but WD just screwed the masterpiece that is Eternal Blue when they released the Sega-CD game. Popful Mail was even worse, I am just glad I managed to buy the wonderful Japanese original before being subjected to that trash.

Ahem, enough ranting. Landstalker is my all time favourite MD game and that is also a game that clearly sticks in my mind, along with the dissapointment I still feel about the promised sequel never coming. made even worse by the PSP remake dissapearing into thin air as well.

FFVI is another game that I loved, a game that can bring tears to my eyes is something I will never forget,

Emerald Dragon on the PCE was wonderful, shame I played it back before I could understand it fully. I have been meaning to replay it but have not had time.

The 4 Phantasy Star games also stick in my mind very well. I have also been meaning to play through the Jp version of End of the Millenium to avoid the lackluster SoA translation with all its errors to the back story (typical) but again, have not had time.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:14 pm

How do you rate the Saturn Lunars (translation set aside)?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”