I can't remember shit about the RPGs I've played

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:19 pm

Are you asking about the difference between SS and PS Lunars?

Lunar Silver Star Story on SS has far worse cutscenes, slightly beefier sound, less bromides, and actual sprites for water as opposed to a weird shifting transparency layer used in the PS version. The Complete MPEG version on SS has slightly higher quality cutscenes compared to the PS version and all the PS bromides, along with the better sound and water. Overall, you can't go wrong with the MPEG version.

For Lunar 2 Eternal Blue, you get noticeably better sound quality (the PS version has pretty horrible music; additionally, the JP PS version is barely audible during cutscenes), lower quality cutscenes, less bromides, and doesn't have the Brave Labyrinth and Lost Labyrinth bonus dungeons in the Epilogue. I'd say the game itself is better on Saturn (really, the PlayStation version has amazingly poor sound quality) but it's tough to beat the extras.

Or compared to the Mega CD originals, SSS changes TSS from a brown/green pigmented fetch quest to a much more complete game IMO (although the music is actually worse in pretty much every way compared to the MCD original). There are really too many extras and changes to name here. On the other hand, EB has changed slightly for the worse in many Lunar fans' minds despite the graphics overhaul since cool elements were replaced.

Anyway, I recall seeing the Lunar SSS beta screenshots somewhere as well, but don't recall that anything was significantly different. Any reasoning behind that (possibly a screenshot or two)?

EDIT: fixed up my grammar
Last edited by Ganelon on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:29 pm

Thanks for the tips. If I ever play any version, it will likely be one or the other... not both. I have the Saturn ones here as they were so cheap. Now to find 30 hours to play them.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

PCEngine_Hunter
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby PCEngine_Hunter » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:49 pm

Ganelon wrote:Or compared to the Mega CD originals, SSS changes TSS from a brown/green pigmented fetch quest to a much more complete game IMO (although the music is actually worse in pretty much every way compared to the MCD original). There are really too many extras and changes to name here. On the other hand, EB has changed slightly for the worse in many Lunar fans' minds despite the graphics overhaul since cool elements were replaced.

Anyway, I recall seeing the Lunar SSS beta screenshots somewhere as well, but don't recall that anything was significantly different. Any reasoning behind that (possibly a screenshot or two)?

EDIT: fixed up my grammar

I unfrotunately lost all my Saturn Fan magazines in a fire in 2004 so I no longer have the old screen shots from that poster. I do have the issue of Game Fan that had 3 shots of the game in the "Japan Now" section when it was first announced but they are very small and not the best quality. Those screens look like recoloured Mega-CD screens basically, 2 of the 3 screens were battles. The screen of Burg is not the one from the poster in the Aug 95 issue of Saturn Fan though, which I thought looked MUCH better than the final game and much closer in concept to the original game (the one that sticks in my mind as looking much better was a shot of the characters walking over a bridge which I asume ws the bridge leading to Arhles' house), just bigger and better in every way. I also thought the sprites looked better in the original screens compared to the final game. As for the music, WTF happened there!?! It sucked!!! After the incredible music in Eternal Blue, I don't know what Iwadare was thinking....

I can agree that the game was made more complete and fleshed out (I loved the fact that Luna played a much bigger role in the game) but the magic of the original game was lost for me. The magic was pathetic IMO and each character was reduced to having 1 or 2 decent attacks only compared to the huge list they had in the original. I also hated that the end of the game, when you searched for the Black Dragon was all but cut from the Saturn game. I didn't like the added female baddies and thought they were rather pointless and didn't make up for having so much cut from the original. Seeing as the game was delayed multiple times, I think the end was rushed and they never bothered to complete it because it needed to be released.

The original will always be the true masterpiece for me. I can only hope and pray that one day, they will finally make Lunar 3, as long as fucking Square-Enix keep thier filthy fucking hands off the project! After what they did to Grandia 3, grrrrr!

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:42 pm

Personally I hope we never see a Lunar 3. Lunar 2 pretty much ends most of everything. Sure a prequal that seals the fate of the Blue Star could be interesting. But GameArts more recent games have been rather disappointing. Plus as a crazy Iwardare fan, I must say all his game works after Growlanser weren't so good...
Stronger then your average deadite

PCEngine_Hunter
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby PCEngine_Hunter » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:57 pm

I have always wanted a direct prequel with the first game about the original 4 heroes in The Sliver Star.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”