Unemulated arcade belt scroll action games

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Unemulated arcade belt scroll action games

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:34 pm

Thread for discussion of unemulated (arcade) belt scroll action games (which is of course the Japanese term for Final Fight style action games. More effective considering heaps of Europeans seem to think the 'beat em up' term is for VS fighters)

No I'm not trying to turn this into an emulation forum, the purpose is just to discuss info about what these games are like, considering many of us huge fans of the genre haven't got a chance to play them. Each new undiscovered game in this genre I find incredibly interesting, far more so than in any other arcade game genre.

So I will start with a list of unemulated belt scroll action games (that I know about):

90's games:
--------------
Legionnaire
Zero Team
Denjin Makai (1st in the series, 'Guardians' is the 3rd)
Godzilla
Mad Dancing

2000 onwards:
-------------
Age of Heroes (Apparantly the sequel to Legend of Silkroad... I've never seen a single screenshot)
Knights of Valour Seven Star Spirits
Shen Jian (The IGS 2003 game, also known as The Gladiator)
Oriental Legend 2 (of course...)

Oh and for those who aren't up to date, the most recently emulated belt scroll game is Tatsumi's Big Fight, which was quite an obscure title for many years. Turned out to be solid but nothing great.

Anyway, plenty of info of the post 2000 IGS games so nothing that interesting to talk about here, I'm more curious about the others.

Legionnaire was developed by TAD, looks to be decent. Denjin Makai I'm guessing is just like Guardians, but with less characters and so on. Zero Team I'm really interested in, but I know virtually nothing about it apart from the fact there are 4 characters. Godzilla I know nothing about. Mad Dancing, well, you all know the story. And Age of Heroes I again know absolutely nothing about.

So yeah, contribute, discuss, etc...
Ganelon I know you have/had Zero Team, tell me about it!
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:37 pm

Nice Topic! Isn't Top Blade V for Brezza's Crystal System rumored to be a belt-action game?

Also: We should make a concerted effort to establish "belt-action game" as the proper term for this genre in the West, as it really does describe these games best.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:00 pm

citcelaid wrote:Nice Topic! Isn't Top Blade V for Brezza's Crystal System rumored to be a belt-action game?

I've never heard any info at all on what genre this game is. Was it ever officially released?

citcelaid wrote:Also: We should make a concerted effort to establish "belt-action game" as the proper term for this genre in the West, as it really does describe these games best.

Yeah, 'beat em up' is far too broad. It does describe the genre, sure, but things need to be a bit more specific in order to differentiate between the 2d style like Final Fight to the 3d style like Dynasty Warriors.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Macaw wrote:
citcelaid wrote:Nice Topic! Isn't Top Blade V for Brezza's Crystal System rumored to be a belt-action game?

I've never heard any info at all on what genre this game is. Was it ever officially released?

Only in South Korea. Apparently Top Blade V is the Korean franchise of Beyblade.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:31 pm

I got Undercover Cops for the SFC. Haven't had a chance to play it. What games in this genre are half-easy to clear? Seems the few I've picked up hand your ass to you on stage 1.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:37 pm

The only games in this genre I've 1CC'd have been Bare Knuckle I & II and Advanced Guardian Heroes (which I absolutely love!), other than that I pretty much suck as well.

I actually made it to stage 5 in SFC Undercover Cops, but you really need to rely on the dash a lot, so it got a bit tedious and I never put in the effort to finish it.

Tenshi Wo Kurau II wish specials enabled should be a good one to beat, methinks.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:47 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:I got Undercover Cops for the SFC. Haven't had a chance to play it.

Your better off playing the arcade version in mame.

Gaijin Punch wrote:What games in this genre are half-easy to clear? Seems the few I've picked up hand your ass to you on stage 1.

Heh, what titles are you playing?

But easier ones I can think of would be.... Lightbringer... and uh....I dunno.

The majority of the best ones, like Alien VS Predator, The Punisher, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Shadows Over Mystara, Tenchi wo Kurau 2, Knights of the Round, Gaia Crusaders, King of Dragons, DD Crew, Shadow Force, Crime Fighters 2, Arabian Magic etc etc etc, are really all of about similar difficulty.

The strategy is always to figure out how to defeat the zako as safely as possible, and figuring out the tricks/strats for bosses. Both simply rely on getting accustomed to the games mechanics, and the enemies attacks.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:50 pm

citcelaid wrote:The only games in this genre I've 1CC'd have been Bare Knuckle I & II and Advanced Guardian Heroes (which I absolutely love!), other than that I pretty much suck as well.

Tsk, non arcade titles don't count! :whack:

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:03 pm

How many of them have you 1CC'ed, Macaw?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Lightbringer, The Punisher, and Guardians immediately come to mind. Maybe one or two others as well.

How many I've managed to get up to the last stage/boss in though........ a definitive shitload. Almost every Capcom title, and various others. Fucking last bosses...

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:09 pm

Isn't Ninja Baseball Bat Man fairly easy? I managed to beat the first level, so it must be pretty damn easy.
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:41 pm

I'm thinking about getting into Final Fight again after I found out about a scoring trick where you can turn items into diamonds. Have you heard about this Macaw?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:09 am

Another question: How do you rate/classify Panzer Bandit? I know it's not arcade, but it's pretty damn fun.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:06 am

JoshF wrote:I'm thinking about getting into Final Fight again after I found out about a scoring trick where you can turn items into diamonds. Have you heard about this Macaw?

Nope never heard a thing or saw anything in superplays. Care to explain it?

Gaijin Punch wrote:Another question: How do you rate/classify Panzer Bandit? I know it's not arcade, but it's pretty damn fun.

Never played it myself, just seen video's. Very similar to Guardian Heroes, looks pretty good I guess.

Though I really am not that much of a fan of the '3 different planes' mechanic which you have to jump between. Completely takes away from the main attraction of the Final Fight style I think... The 'free' moving 'belt' field feels much more dynamic and fun.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:11 am

http://forums.marpirc.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9663

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:28 am

Macaw wrote:Never played it myself, just seen video's. Very similar to Guardian Heroes, looks pretty good I guess.

Though I really am not that much of a fan of the '3 different planes' mechanic which you have to jump between.

There are only 2 in Guardian Heroes [EDIT: Panzer Bandit], and they're mainly exploitable for boss fights. It's a good game, although the main character is 1000x easier than the other three as you can jack up his special meter without having to beat on enemies. I definitely recommend it though. I need to put some serious time into Guardian Heroes come to think of it.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:40 am

O_O That's some scoring system
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:11 am

Either way I think most belt-scrollers have deceptively deep scoring systems, even the ones without combos and such. It's usually about finding the move with the largest point value relative to the amount of damage it takes off, and when you factor that into game situations it becomes very complex indeed.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:03 am

Macaw wrote:
citcelaid wrote:The only games in this genre I've 1CC'd have been Bare Knuckle I & II and Advanced Guardian Heroes (which I absolutely love!), other than that I pretty much suck as well.

Tsk, non arcade titles don't count! :whack:

That was my point, exactly. :roll:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:55 am

JoshF wrote:

http://forums.marpirc.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9663

Insane!

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Macaw wrote:Never played it myself, just seen video's. Very similar to Guardian Heroes, looks pretty good I guess.

Though I really am not that much of a fan of the '3 different planes' mechanic which you have to jump between.

There are only 2 in Guardian Heroes, and they're mainly exploitable for boss fights. It's a good game, although the main character is 1000x easier than the other three as you can jack up his special meter without having to beat on enemies. I definitely recommend it though. I need to put some serious time into Guardian Heroes come to think of it.

I 100% remember Guardian Heroes having 3 planes, but regardless of 3 or 2 its still the same deal pretty much. I did play a fair amount of Guardian Heroes, but it wasn't long before I realized how much I hate the plane system compared to a free roaming 'belt'. I'd actually find the game more appealing if it just stuck to a single plane. Any kind of horizon depth added to the movement should be free roaming like Final Fight I think, as the plane system means your only really interacting with that plane of enemies, and the dynamic feeling of multiple characters all fighting together is lost.

Uhh but yeah, thats just personal taste of course. As discovered in that other thread, the obscure belt scroll game "Mad Dancing" uses a plane system (3 lines), but regardless I still am heavily interested in it.

Then again, something that uses such a system possibly could not even be labeled as a 'belt scroll action' game, because they are essentially just platformers with 3 planes. Regardless, the common thread between titles like Guardian Heroes, Panzer Bandit, Mad Dancing, and single-plane games like Battle Zeque Den and The Ninja Warriors Again (The SFC sequel), is that the actually core fighting system and mechanics are Final-Fight/Double Dragon style, as opposed to say... Mario Brothers style. Its just the movement system that is different.

In other words:
Final Fight Style = belt scroll action games
Guardian Heroes Style = Platformers with Final Fight style combat system and mechanics.

Er, or somthing like that...

JoshF wrote:Either way I think most belt-scrollers have deceptively deep scoring systems, even the ones without combos and such. It's usually about finding the move with the largest point value relative to the amount of damage it takes off, and when you factor that into game situations it becomes very complex indeed.

Yeah many of the games in the genre are like this. In Undercover Cops for instance, Matts 'Touchdown Slam' is the move that gives him the biggest point value, so technically going through the game doing it to everyone is the way to get the highest score. Its hard to do, but yeah.

There are heaps of games that are different however. In many Konami belt scrollers, you get a single point for every enemy you destroy, regardless of how you do it.

And then there are other games with a proper scoring system. All IGS games of course have the very fun combo driven score system.

And Capcom's Knights of The Round actually has a score system that most Westerners have no clue about, in which you kill enemies of the same type in a chain in order to get increasingly higher point rewards.
Last edited by Macaw on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:57 am

*Macaw needs to go :whack: over how awesome and epic the above post is*

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:22 pm

There are only 2 in Guardian Heroes, and they're mainly exploitable for boss fights.

I'm an idiot -- I mean Panzer Bandit for that whole post.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:48 pm

Ok, I got ya.

I'm sure it will be a game I will check out in the near future.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:12 pm

Yeah many of the games in the genre are like this. In Undercover Cops for instance, Matts 'Touchdown Slam' is the move that gives him the biggest point value, so technically going through the game doing it to everyone is the way to get the highest score. Its hard to do, but yeah.

I thought the normal combos gave you the most points.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:47 am

Oh your right, his 2nd combo (hold up or down during combo) which ends in the huge kick gives slightly more points.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”