Unemulated arcade belt scroll action games

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:12 pm

Whatever version of Spider-man I tried out was really cheap. If I remember right the farthest someone at MARP got was level 2. O_o

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:07 am

The game only has 4 stages (although they are long), but around stage 2 the game starts giving you a fair amount of health. Clearing the first stage without taking too much damage is essential. Its only really the belt scenes that are difficult, the platforming segments are easy once learned.

The screenshots on the japanese flyer also show a number for the health, I just wonder whether it slowly ticks down like the world version.

Another note, the japanese version of Hachoo isn't dumped. The Japanese flyer for the game shows it has 3 buttons as opposed to the world versions 2. The 3rd button for the Japanese version seems to be used for throwing I think.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:43 pm

Finally played Demolish Fist, still quite a few graphical and sound glitches, but playable. Love the bosses from this game, great designs. The only 3 performable combo's get worn out pretty fast though :(

Now starting on Knigts of Valour: Seven Spirits. Looks to have less emulation glitches.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:10 pm

The Seven Spirits is quality. If you're not good, you can't see the true ending, as all arcade games should be.

steveljohn8
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby steveljohn8 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:08 pm

I have but i don't know how to play this anybody can tell me about this all.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:19 am

Macaw wrote:Does anyone know if the Japanese version of Sega's Spiderman arcade brawler is any different to the world versions? The Japanese version isn't in mame, but the world version has a heath counter that constantly ticks down, which is quiet possibly a change from the Japanese version, although its probably still possible to 1cc the game.

I've been playing it a bit recently (probably one of my least played belt scroll action games until now) and I find it a pretty solid brawler, a lot of the coolness and style of American comics comes through in it. The same could also be said of Captain America and the Avengers I guess, and its quite strange that both games have a 2nd genre mixed in (STG for Avengers, platforming for Spiderman).

Come to think of it, Both games are also the only arcade Marvel based games to feature Hawkeye, and both were released in 1991. haha.

Just picked up the J version of Spider-man. Will let you know how it is. Also, finally got Tough Turf and New Zero Team (which is the Asian release without the battery seen in the JP and US versions).
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:09 am

Cool. My money is on the JP Spiderman still draining your health.

By the way if you come across another New Zero Team or know of anyone selling one, let me know. The damn game eludes me into a new year :roll:

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:31 am

I missed a Zero Team on German Ebay a couple of months ago. Went for about 20 Euros. I'd rather not talk about it.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Superplay by some Chinese dude of New Zero Team uploaded at http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/R3sJMG-JEc4/

In what must be one of the gayest discoveries of 2010 so far, it looks like the 1st and 2nd stages in New Zero Team are switched with the 3rd and 4th stages.

These are the vids of the game uploaded by the french dude which is of the US version of the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPyKNHewME

So it seems New Zero Team is just retarded. The normal stage flow makes sense with all the transitions between the stages (riding the motorbike and the helicopter) but New Zero Team just makes it all nonsensical, and switching stages around is simply the worst way of messing with a games pacing and flow. Maybe you can test your pcb Shou (and Ganelon) to see if its the same, but as it stands it looks like New Zero Team is a waste of time.

This is a pity obviously because it has no suicide battery, and the only proper Zero Teams out there are roided out with the battery.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:43 am

Macaw wrote:Cool. My money is on the JP Spiderman still draining your health.

A winner is you!

Still slowly draings your health away but I haven't looked at the manual to see if the dips can change that.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:10 pm

In the last few weeks managed to grab just about every last unemulated arcade game I am interested in. Only Zero Team is related to this thread but oh well.

- SD Gundam Sangokushi: Rainbow Tairiku Senki

The follow up to the previous SD Gundam Psycho Salamander. Unlike that which is a Horror Story style action game, this one is directly inspired by Contra. Stage 1 in particular is right out of Contra Spirits, featuring a similar landscape, the tank, and the rail things you climb on.

There's also a cool scoring system which resembles the medals of a Raizing game, which is something you don't really see in platformers like this.

There's nothing too special about the game, but its cool and fun. The most unique aspect is easily the visual style for the characters, which has very minimal shading making them all look like the real SD gundam models. Hard to explain but its cool.

- Zero Team

Already been talked about a fair bit here by Ganelon and such but yeah, this is a belt action game that plays like Final Fight but has a visual style like Double Dragon. Once again there is nothing overly special about it, but its extremely solid (the game definitely grew on me as I played it more). Backgrounds look superb and are filled with a tonne of little details. For example, at the start of the game there is an alley with a group of people watching you from afar. If you wait a little bit a random dude walks past and notices the action and also starts watching. Each stage is filled with background details such as this (if you look hard and find them) which makes the game quite charismatic. Also there are countless civilian characters in the stages that you can bash or throw around if you want, hahaha.

The game is also possibly the most balanced belt action game I have ever played, with the level of difficulty being raised perfectly as you progress further, making it quite an enjoyable experience for anyone going for a 1cc. And also lets not forget to mention the story of the game appears to be Japanese samurai, kabuki and ninjas invading America and you have to bash them. Hilariously cool.

- Godzilla

Hahahahah, now this was a great surprise.

There are 2 different modes, VS Battle mode and 1P Story Mode.

As expected, the vs battle mode is just shitty 1vs1 fighting resembling the pce/sfc Godzilla games. The button layout isn't like a standard fighting game, and has a button for jumping, along with a punch and kick button. Each character has a few special moves and a number of normal attacks, as well as a super attack you can use once the super gauge is full.

Now the other mode of the game, the 1P Story mode, is awesome. Each stage is based on one of the Godzilla movies, and you progress through them in chronological order. Each stage has you as Godzilla and you have to battle your way through all sorts of shit like tanks, planes and buildings before you have a confrontation with a monster. The sense of scale is far better than I was expecting from the pre-boss scenes, with there literally being dozens of tiny little tanks, trucks, helicopters and shit that you destroy. Its fuckn satisfying. Fighting the bosses is the same shitty VS fighting system from the other mode, but when put in the context of a standard action game and not a VS fighting game its really not that bad (not having multiple rounds here also helps) The boss battles are essentially trying to figure out a pattern or method of defeating each one, and it can actually be quite fun.

I'm no Godzilla expert, only having seen a couple of the flicks fully, but noticed each stage has lots of little details specific to the movie the stage is based on, such as the Godzilla Tower in Godzilla vs Gigan and fighting the Super-X 2 in Godzilla vs Biollante, which is cool, and makes each stage quite unique to each other.

While the boss battles mesh really well with the stages, the most fun in the game is indeed just the stage sections where you get to destroy tanks and buildings and shit. "being a big monster destroying a city" is a much loved sub genre of mine, and Godzilla is great along with the 2 arcade Rampage games.

I know its not saying much, but arcade Godzilla is easily the best Godzilla action game. I've been meaning to start a Godzilla game thread for a long time but was waiting till I played the arcade one. Perhaps I will get around to it soon.

Its also interesting to note that there is a gameboy game called Kaijuu-Oh Godzilla which was released around the same time as the arcade game. They both resemble each other quite a bit, with stages being based on a movie, having to destroy tanks and buildings etc, and then having monster encounters. The stages are much longer than in the arcade godzilla but of course being on gameboy there is far less shit onscreen at once. Here is a pic: http://ui31.gamefaqs.com/1150/gfs_7371_2_2.jpg

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:12 pm

Also it really sucks that there is no decent screenshots online for any of the titles I talked about.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:55 pm

No capture device? I'm interested in the Gundam game. While PSycho Salamander is a little slow-paced, I like the palette. I actually played a few credits of it last week.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:35 pm

Yeah I like Psycho Salamander too. Indeed slow paced but its crazy how epic it is, they pretty much tried to throw every gundam character in there as a boss or mid boss. Probably a better game than Rainbow Tairiku overall.

I just took a bunch of pics of Godzilla on my phone, ghetto but decent enough for seeing how shit looks. I will do a bunch of pics of Rainbow Tairiku as well then probably start separate threads for SD Gundam games and Godzilla games where I will throw up the screens, in order to prevent this thread from becoming a clusterfuck.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Or maybe an un-mamed thread (or shit Mamed). I've been looking around at PCBs I can't play in Mame as well.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:37 am

I have the new house setup semi-finished so I can take some pics of (New) Zero Team if needed
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:10 am

Can you let us know if your New Zero Team also has the messed up stage order as seen in the chinese vid?

Gaijin Punch wrote:Or maybe an un-mamed thread (or shit Mamed). I've been looking around at PCBs I can't play in Mame as well.

That's a better idea. Just need to take more pics then I'll start it.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:24 am

Macaw wrote:Can you let us know if your New Zero Team also has the messed up stage order as seen in the chinese vid?

Yah. will try to hook it up this weekend
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Macaw wrote:Superplay by some Chinese dude of New Zero Team uploaded at http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/R3sJMG-JEc4/

In what must be one of the gayest discoveries of 2010 so far, it looks like the 1st and 2nd stages in New Zero Team are switched with the 3rd and 4th stages.

These are the vids of the game uploaded by the french dude which is of the US version of the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPyKNHewME

So it seems New Zero Team is just retarded. The normal stage flow makes sense with all the transitions between the stages (riding the motorbike and the helicopter) but New Zero Team just makes it all nonsensical, and switching stages around is simply the worst way of messing with a games pacing and flow. Maybe you can test your pcb Shou (and Ganelon) to see if its the same, but as it stands it looks like New Zero Team is a waste of time.

This is a pity obviously because it has no suicide battery, and the only proper Zero Teams out there are roided out with the battery.

Finally got my JAMMA setup in the new game room finished so I popped in New Zero Team. Stages are not in the same order as the US version but I've never played the JP original so don't know if they are different.
become history

Snake Plissken
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Snake Plissken » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Is there a chance to see Godzilla emulated, one day or another?
:(
-Take me away from the light, sweet creature of the night...

-Life's a bitch and then you live - Michael Monroe

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Shou wrote:Finally got my JAMMA setup in the new game room finished so I popped in New Zero Team. Stages are not in the same order as the US version but I've never played the JP original so don't know if they are different.

Yeah the first stage is supposed to be the city where you start on the motorbike.

Snake Plissken wrote:Is there a chance to see Godzilla emulated, one day or another?
:(

I trust everything will be emulated eventually, but that seibu hardware is supposedly a real bitch so who know how long things will take.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri May 07, 2010 6:16 am

Here's another game lost to time....some may remember the rumors..

It was on location test in Japan in 1993.

Ninja Gaiden 2

Oddly enough it wasn't called Ninja Ryukenden 2 as it was apparently made for foreign markets. This was to be a direct sequel to the arcade original but for the MVS. Gameplay remained similar to the original but upgraded to have 3 selectable characters with difficulty set very high. I remember someone out there had a picture of the POP display....
become history

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Does anyone know what 窶禿塲停

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:12 pm

The Seta game is Down Town outside Japan. Top view brawling thingy thats pretty nice.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:53 am

Macaw wrote:The Seta game is Down Town outside Japan. Top view brawling thingy thats pretty nice.

Rearry? The game is horrible. I could make a better one on an Atari 2600. Truly is bad. I think the guys at Mak laughed at Shou when he bought the board from them.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”