Unemulated arcade belt scroll action games

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:42 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:
Macaw wrote:The Seta game is Down Town outside Japan. Top view brawling thingy thats pretty nice.

Rearry? The game is horrible. I could make a better one on an Atari 2600. Truly is bad. I think the guys at Mak laughed at Shou when he bought the board from them.

I knew you would chime in on this one!

All I have to say is rotary collection completo!
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:37 am

Shou wrote:All I have to say is rotary collection completo!

And that's about all I can give ya. Wasn't that board mine, actually? Haha.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:07 am

Hahahah didnt know people hated it so much. I've only played it for about 20 minutes ages ago but seemed decent to me, although if I remember correctly the tactic for pretty much every enemy was to jab, run back, jab, repeat. Oh and try to keep the weapons for as long as possible.

That combined with the guy you play makes it strangely reminiscent of Tough Turf.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:44 pm

If Down Town is decent, then what top-down close-range scroller is bad?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:34 pm

Haha, well let me seen, the arcade top-down close range stuff I can think of off the top of my head are...

Downtown
Gaiapolis
Vandyke
Kyros no Yakata
Mighty Guy
Lost Castle in Darkmist
Hissatsu Buraiken

Likely a bunch more I am missing, but as far as this list goes I'd say Downtown is better than Mighty Guy and Hissatsu... they both kinda suck. Cant really compare the games like this though cause Downtown is a more focused brawling thingy compared to most of the others.

Special shoutouts to Lost Castle in Darkmist for being such awesomeness that most people don't know the existence of.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:51 am

Macaw, heres a Denjin Makai board:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Denjin-Makai-Jamma- ... 2342wt_809

Probably overpriced, but the only one I've ever seen.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:02 am

I like Vandyke... and Gaiapolis has nice style, although it's not quite for me.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:43 am

Macaw wrote:Haha, well let me seen, the arcade top-down close range stuff I can think of off the top of my head are...

Downtown
Gaiapolis
Vandyke
Kyros no Yakata
Mighty Guy
Lost Castle in Darkmist
Hissatsu Buraiken

Likely a bunch more I am missing, but as far as this list goes I'd say Downtown is better than Mighty Guy and Hissatsu... they both kinda suck. Cant really compare the games like this though cause Downtown is a more focused brawling thingy compared to most of the others.

Special shoutouts to Lost Castle in Darkmist for being such awesomeness that most people don't know the existence of.

Dark Seal & Wizard Fire?

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:50 am

Macaw wrote:Haha, well let me seen, the arcade top-down close range stuff I can think of off the top of my head are...

Downtown
Gaiapolis
Vandyke
Kyros no Yakata
Mighty Guy
Lost Castle in Darkmist
Hissatsu Buraiken

Wizard Fire?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Most of the characters in the Dark Seal games have long range attacks making it feel more like a shooting thing. Same could be said about Vandyke though.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 am

Some updates...

citcelaid wrote:Nice Topic! Isn't Top Blade V for Brezza's Crystal System rumored to be a belt-action game?

It's definitely not a belt action game, it's a vs game with the spinning tops or whatever they do in Beyblade. I sold this to Try so they should have it running in the Tower now.

Burning Street
I can't remember where we last talked about this but it seems that the owner of Try has this PCB in his personal collection.
become history

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:00 am

Shou wrote:Burning Street
I can't remember where we last talked about this but it seems that the owner of Try has this PCB in his personal collection.

Never heard of this? Link to info? Screens?
At least if it isn't Burning Fight.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:31 am

loempiavreter wrote:
Shou wrote:Burning Street

Never heard of this? Link to info? Screens?
At least if it isn't Burning Fight.

It's an unreleased prototype. 3 on 3 fighter (ie 6 players simul) made by Tecmo I believe in 1995.
become history

maxlords
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby maxlords » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:10 am

I liked Dark Seal. I haven't played the sequel though....Ghostbusters reminds me of it a bit honestly.

I saw a few of my favorites mentioned, but they're all emulated I think....Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Tenchi Wo Kurau 2, etc. I've got boot PCBs of those last too...finding legit suicide modded ones.... *shiver*. Also liked Tencho Wo Kurau (Dynasty Wars) even though you're stuck on horseback :) And of course the D&D games....didn't love AvP at all though. Even have a suicide modded Knights of the Round...but I can't get into that one at all...that and King of Dragons never did it for me for some reason.

I suck at these but I like playing em.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Shou » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:22 am

Macaw wrote:- Godzilla

Hahahahah, now this was a great surprise.

There are 2 different modes, VS Battle mode and 1P Story Mode.

As expected, the vs battle mode is just shitty 1vs1 fighting resembling the pce/sfc Godzilla games. The button layout isn't like a standard fighting game, and has a button for jumping, along with a punch and kick button. Each character has a few special moves and a number of normal attacks, as well as a super attack you can use once the super gauge is full.

Now the other mode of the game, the 1P Story mode, is awesome. Each stage is based on one of the Godzilla movies, and you progress through them in chronological order. Each stage has you as Godzilla and you have to battle your way through all sorts of shit like tanks, planes and buildings before you have a confrontation with a monster. The sense of scale is far better than I was expecting from the pre-boss scenes, with there literally being dozens of tiny little tanks, trucks, helicopters and shit that you destroy. Its fuckn satisfying. Fighting the bosses is the same shitty VS fighting system from the other mode, but when put in the context of a standard action game and not a VS fighting game its really not that bad (not having multiple rounds here also helps) The boss battles are essentially trying to figure out a pattern or method of defeating each one, and it can actually be quite fun.

I'm no Godzilla expert, only having seen a couple of the flicks fully, but noticed each stage has lots of little details specific to the movie the stage is based on, such as the Godzilla Tower in Godzilla vs Gigan and fighting the Super-X 2 in Godzilla vs Biollante, which is cool, and makes each stage quite unique to each other.

While the boss battles mesh really well with the stages, the most fun in the game is indeed just the stage sections where you get to destroy tanks and buildings and shit. "being a big monster destroying a city" is a much loved sub genre of mine, and Godzilla is great along with the 2 arcade Rampage games.

I just got ahold of this PCB recently but didn't think too much of the 1P mode either. :P I wouldn't put this in belt action, maybe more in the WarZard or Oni camp.

The first stage boss is incredibly difficult for people new to the game. It's no wonder it performed poorly.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:42 am

Yeah the only way to consistently defeat any of the bosses is to figure out how to get the AI in retarded patterns hahaha.

SharkSkin-Man
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Re: Unemulated arcade belt scroll action games

Postby SharkSkin-Man » Tue May 01, 2012 12:47 am

Sorry to dig up an old thread...

I just picked up a Zero Team board from eBay, turned it on and was kind of surprised to see the title screen stating it was Zero Team 2000. I've heard of New Zero Team, but not this - anyone got any info?

The board has some Seibu stamped chips, the board model is v33 system type_c. I think New Zero Team runs on v33 type_b?
Is it some kind of boot or ROM hack?

It's also unbelievably fussy with the 5v line, which seemed a bit strange for a modern-ish board. It has to be bang on 5v, 0.1v out either way will give lines in the picture.

Stefan_L
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Stefan_L » Sat May 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Well.. i have heard of Zero Team 2000 (actually that was the first version i ever heard of it) but i have no info at all about it.
Please post pics of the PCB and do a gameplay video if you have possibility to do so :)

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re:

Postby Macaw » Thu May 31, 2012 12:44 pm

Shou wrote:I just got ahold of this PCB recently but didn't think too much of the 1P mode either. :P I wouldn't put this in belt action, maybe more in the WarZard or Oni camp.

The first stage boss is incredibly difficult for people new to the game. It's no wonder it performed poorly.

Haha I just randomly pulled out the Godzilla pcb and got a 1cc after a few credits. Still remembered my boss tactics from years ago so I didnt have to waste time relearning much. Its ridiculous how much fun I get from the damn game, I honestly would rather play it than something like Dadandarn, similar boss fights trying to figure out cheap tactics to beat the cpu but Godzilla has the short but entertaining scenes destroying tanks and buildings and shit which ties everything together pretty well.

Its indeed no belt scroll game though so I should probably stop talking about it here haha.

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Re:

Postby SuperDeadite » Thu May 31, 2012 6:05 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:No capture device? I'm interested in the Gundam game. While PSycho Salamander is a little slow-paced, I like the palette. I actually played a few credits of it last week.

Lol reading through the thread and missed this request. I did a capture of this one like a year ago. It's not the most exciting game in the world, but the sprites are nice and it's a very cheap pcb to own :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJVLVqxd7no
Stronger then your average deadite

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re: Re:

Postby Shou » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:11 am

Macaw wrote:Haha I just randomly pulled out the Godzilla pcb and got a 1cc after a few credits. Still remembered my boss tactics from years ago so I didnt have to waste time relearning much. Its ridiculous how much fun I get from the damn game, I honestly would rather play it than something like Dadandarn, similar boss fights trying to figure out cheap tactics to beat the cpu but Godzilla has the short but entertaining scenes destroying tanks and buildings and shit which ties everything together pretty well.

Its indeed no belt scroll game though so I should probably stop talking about it here haha.

Have you cleared it? Very curious as to which dev team created it.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Yeah, staff roll has a bunch of names written in english I think, but I don't remember any specific team being credited. Will have to run through it again to see for sure though.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re:

Postby Shou » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:23 am

Macaw wrote:Cool. My money is on the JP Spiderman still draining your health.

By the way if you come across another New Zero Team or know of anyone selling one, let me know. The damn game eludes me into a new year :roll:

So while digging up another board that needs dumping, I found my Spider-man which I dumped and submitted to MAME today. It still does drain your health. The manual says default health is 400 with difficulty on 5.
become history

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Re:

Postby Shou » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 am

Macaw wrote:Another note, the japanese version of Hachoo isn't dumped. The Japanese flyer for the game shows it has 3 buttons as opposed to the world versions 2. The 3rd button for the Japanese version seems to be used for throwing I think.

I recall Hachoo only having 2 buttons for some reason, I have the JP board but not sure where it is in my storage area...when I find it again, I will take a look.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:10 pm

Shou wrote:So while digging up another board that needs dumping, I found my Spider-man which I dumped and submitted to MAME today. It still does drain your health. The manual says default health is 400 with difficulty on 5.

I played this a bit seriously at the start of the year for a few credits. Despite the draining health its actually really, really easy. After about 15 minutes practicing decent tactics for the giant Venom platformer section battle at the start, and getting the basic feel of the brawling down, I was able to straight away do a 1 credit run up until the boss rush in the last stage. The game starts giving you tonnes of health in platformer stages as long as you survive the somewhat rocky start of the game.

Good game though, lots of variety in each stage and the visuals are surprisingly good overall despite them seeming rather bland from first impressions (the sprites of the tonnes of different Spiderman villains you fight throughout the game are the real highlight)

Shou wrote:I recall Hachoo only having 2 buttons for some reason, I have the JP board but not sure where it is in my storage area...when I find it again, I will take a look.

They could have changed it after the flyers were printed, dunno.

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=f ... 76&image=2

Return to “Japanese Video Games”