Unemulated arcade belt scroll action games

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:02 am

i got some awesome quotes from gfront for some boards. lol.

Phoenix 1000 yen
Great Rag Time show 1000 yen
Bubble Bobble 4000 yen

and a few other pretty funny valuations.

yet for some weird reason, they would part with 8000 for R-Type Leo and Don Doko Don :/

Sigh - screw em. private sales it is
Beautiful Burnout

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:36 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:
RadiantSvgun wrote:Really? I got 3 PCBs I wanted for about 60 bucks shipped. Those 100s are those shooter prices. Speaking of shooters and pcbs, is there a salamander or life force on Y!J right now?

I can name a ton of non-scroll shooting games that are several hundred apiece. In fact, there are far more PCBs in Japan that run closer to a $100 than they do to $20 (that are worth buying, that is).

I think $60 for Double Dragon 1 and 2 and Double Dribble isn't bad. I'd love to have a b.rap boys or Denjin Makai II.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:30 am

RadiantSvgun wrote:
Gaijin Punch wrote:
RadiantSvgun wrote:Really? I got 3 PCBs I wanted for about 60 bucks shipped. Those 100s are those shooter prices. Speaking of shooters and pcbs, is there a salamander or life force on Y!J right now?

I can name a ton of non-scroll shooting games that are several hundred apiece. In fact, there are far more PCBs in Japan that run closer to a $100 than they do to $20 (that are worth buying, that is).

I think $60 for Double Dragon 1 and 2 and Double Dribble isn't bad. I'd love to have a b.rap boys or Denjin Makai II.

Classic 80's and early 90's stuff can cost you an arm and a leg over here while they used to be insanely cheap in the West before people got into PCB collecting.

Good luck on the Denjin search. It took me years and I've only seen it once in a shop over here. They wanted nearly $500 for it. B. Rap can be had if you look around, always around $200. I actually see it more than DJ Boy.
become history

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:42 am

Uh, I saw Guardians just a couple of months ago for $65; didn't pick it up though since I'm not really a fan of that game.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:04 am

Ganelon wrote:Uh, I saw Guardians just a couple of months ago for $65; didn't pick it up though since I'm not really a fan of that game.

In Japan? Haven't seen the PCB in a store for years. Some Korean PCBs occasionally show up on Yahoo.
become history

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:08 am

Ganelon wrote:Uh, I saw Guardians just a couple of months ago for $65; didn't pick it up though since I'm not really a fan of that game.

When you see it again for that price, please let me know. I'll send you the money. Seriously though, pm me if you see it again, my way of getting pcbs for the most part is ebay.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:09 am

Oh, are the Korean PCBs much cheaper? I saw it advertised from an HK supplier so it may have indeed been the Korean version.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:18 am

Can you point me in the direction of that seller?

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:14 pm

no u

I'd take either Double Dragon for >30. I can worry about a supergun later. :)

BTW anyone know of a supergun faq?

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:47 pm

JoshF wrote:no u

I'd take either Double Dragon for >30. I can worry about a supergun later. :)

BTW anyone know of a supergun faq?

That's why I'm getting stuff while its cheap. I'm going to have a cab in the next 3 months, so I'll already have some games to play.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:27 pm

Want to reveal your source then?

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:14 am

JoshF wrote:Want to reveal your source then?

Sure.

A few days ago on NEO-GEO.com, a guy on the forums was selling a bunch of pcbs. He had a buy 2 get free shipping deal and shipping was $10. He had Double Dragon and Double Dragon II priced at 25 each. I got both, and he was selling Double Dribble for $10, so free shipping or free pcb. I'm just going to say I got lucky on that deal.

Here's the link to the thread.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185915

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:09 am

I finally got my hands on B. Rap Boys. It wasn't too difficult to locate, but it cost about 150. That included art, instruction manual, and 3p harness. There is a Guardians pcb on ebay now, but Im a bit tapped out at the moment.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:17 pm

Macaw, are you sure Denjin Makai and Ghost Chaser Densei are different games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3S1W9ySF4

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:42 am

I wonder what it is that causes these games not to be emulated or not emulated properly? I know with B. Rap Boyz, there is a security chip that they can't emulate. Also, the emulation on guardians/denjin Makai II leaves some to be desired.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:20 am

Various things for different boards. Sometimes encryption, sometimes lack of time or dedication. Etc. etc.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:30 am

dcharlie wrote:i got some awesome quotes from gfront for some boards. lol.

Phoenix 1000 yen
Great Rag Time show 1000 yen
Bubble Bobble 4000 yen

and a few other pretty funny valuations.

yet for some weird reason, they would part with 8000 for R-Type Leo and Don Doko Don :/

Sigh - screw em. private sales it is

Thats a pretty good price for bubble bobble.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:02 pm

JoshF wrote:Macaw, are you sure Denjin Makai and Ghost Chaser Densei are different games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3S1W9ySF4

Damn I wish I saw your message earlier, it was only a couple of days ago that I discovered Denjin Makai is now working in mame (minus score calculation and sound) and have been madly playing it since.

Theres a newer rom of the game out now that has the proper graphics data so the enemies don't look all like white blocks.

At this point I'm actually liking it a lot more than Guardians/Denjin Makai 2. My biggest problem with guardians being that its waaaaay too easy and a bit too short. Denjin Makai on the other hand is incredibly hard, yet balanced (the game gives you a single life, but at certain checkpoints you get health items that recover most of your life) and the game is loooooooong.

The game also just feels more polished than Guardians. Better stage design with lots of varying terrain height in the field (like golden axe), and talking sections that flesh out the story quite a bit. Although I don't really even know what the story is about, the general thing recurring in all the stages is that you are chasing a bunch of guys with suitcases... Its just totally awesome ;) Guardians feels incredibly bland in comparison.

In general both games are awesome, but Denjin Makai seems much more special, and more satisfying to play thanks to the longer length and much greater difficulty (of course there was that theory that some kind of 'harder' mode could be chosen in Guardians that makes you play through all the stages in the game instead of just the 5 you can normally go through in a single run, but that is still unfounded).

And yeah your right about Ghost Chaser Densei being the same game as Denjin Makai (the biggest shock I got when first playing Denjin) Ghost Chaser is essentially a SFC port of the game (greatly cut down though of course) which for some bizzare reason they put a different name onto.

Bottom line: I highly recommend everyone check out Denjin Makai, its incredibly cool. Easily the highest point in Winky Softs history.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:25 pm

Does the arcade version have the same re-grabbing in the corner as Ghost Chaser Densei?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:36 pm

re-grabbing?

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:54 pm

In GCD if you threw someone in the corner you would grab them again instead of them hitting the ground.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:00 pm

Haha I just tried that in Ghost Chaser now. Funny stuff. Tried to replicate it in Denjin Makai but didn't work.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:26 am

B rap boys is actually very heavily edited between the US and JPN versions.

The US version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ZYjZf9xfs

My Japan board has no logs, no karate guys, or kabuki. And the US board is overclocked a bit too.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:22 am

Age of Heroes gonna get dumped: http://www.mameworld.net/gurudumps/

"One PCB arrived today.... Age Of Heroes - Silkroad 2, Unico 2001. Thanks to Tim from arcadecollecting.com"

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:10 pm

Age of Heroes added in the next version of mame.

http://www.citylan.it/reip/

Same rendered 2d look as Silkroad. I thought silkroad was ok, sorta. I reckon I'll get a kick out of Age of Heroes though. Supposedly it has more moves and better combat mechanics, and the Jiang Shi make the game an instant win ;)

Return to “Japanese Video Games”