Unemulated arcade belt scroll action games

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Added to Mame... does that mean playable?
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Considering the screenshots, I would say its playable.

The new version of mame with it added isn't out yet though, considering the usually cycles it will probably come out in a day or 2.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:06 am

Ok the new mame came out and I've been beating around Silkroad 2 a little bit.

All I can say is that it turned out A LOT better than I anticipated. Damn!

Design is modeled off Shadow over Mystara, so its packed full of all the RPG stuff. Lots of story segments, the inventory displayed with the 'item wheel', getting money and buying equipment, leveling up, finding new weapons (Which allows you to have better combo strings) and so on.

Control and mechanics are thankfully a hell of a lot less stiff than in the original Silkroad. The game is quite a joy to play. Level design is also superb, instead of the painfully plain stages of the original Silkroad, there are now longer and much more varied stages. The terracotta warriors also return!

I'd say this game is probably better than a good chunk of IGS's output in the genre (possibly including KOV2) and even better than some of the Capcom stuff.

The biggest drawback of course if the ugly rendered graphics. If the game had proper hand drawn sprites and backgrounds, this truly would have been something special. As it stands though, the game is still way above average and all fans of the genre need to play it!

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Khan
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Khan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:52 pm

what version of mame are you using? im using UIFX and its not working in that :( keeps coming up with an error about missing rom3, has rom3 been dumped then?

loempiavreter
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby loempiavreter » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Macaw wrote:And for people interested in emulation, long time contributer Haze is currently working on the legionna.c driver, which is what runs Denjin Makai, Legionnaire and Godzilla (As well as other non belt scroll titles) So progress on that front is definitely interesting.

The legionna.c is also based off the Seibu Raiden 2 hardware, so progress on one will likely help the other. This means emulation of Zero Team.

I'm on the verge on buying Zero Team (the seller says it doesn't have a suicide battery??? *it isn't new zero team).

But if it will be emulated soon, then I'll porbably wait. So how far are they along with both Legionnaire and Zero Team.

And what about Mad Dancing? Has anyone ever seen a copy of this game anywhere (be it in the arcade, shop or on a auction site?).

On a different issue... am I the only one who don't like light rpg elements in my Beat'em ups? Well it's not an too big issue as I still can enjoy a lot of IGS BMU's. Still not to keen on it being overused.

By the way is Big Fight - Trouble in the Atlantic Ocean emulated perfectly now?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:39 pm

loempiavreter wrote:But if it will be emulated soon, then I'll porbably wait. So how far are they along with both Legionnaire and Zero Team.

Long way off probably, Haze has apparently stopped working on MAME.

loempiavreter wrote:And what about Mad Dancing? Has anyone ever seen a copy of this game anywhere (be it in the arcade, shop or on a auction site?).

Everyone I've asked hasn't seen it, including shou, so who knows if it was actually released.

loempiavreter wrote:By the way is Big Fight - Trouble in the Atlantic Ocean emulated perfectly now?

Nope not perfectly emulated, lots of graphics problems but still playable. Pretty good brawler I reckon but I still want to play it without the graphics issues.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:17 pm

For anyone not keeping up, B.Rap boys progress has been happening recently thanks to haze and a whole bunch of other mame devs

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/

I reckon it will likely be properly emulated by the end of the week, and then anyone will be able to enjoy the hilariously fun cheesiness of the game.

Oh and as it turns out, the reason there has been so much confusion in the past about different versions/regions of the game missing certain stuff, its because there are actually 2 different distinct versions of the game, B.Rap Boys and B.Rap Boys Special.

It seems both these versions were released in Japan, Special coming slightly after the original release and adding in a number of things such as rolling logs you need to jump over at the beginning of the game, as well as extra enemies like the karate and kabuki dudes.

Outside Japan both versions of the game could have been released too but I'm not sure.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Nice to hear. Been looking forward to this one!
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:13 am

Never ever heard of Special....looking forward to seeing the ROM differences...will ask around locally too.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Shou I think the version you have is special? I remember when I played it there was the logs and the karate enemies, which is what special has.

The 'Special' can only be seen in the character select screen, not the title screen.

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:52 pm

Macaw wrote:Oh and as it turns out, the reason there has been so much confusion in the past about different versions/regions of the game missing certain stuff, its because there are actually 2 different distinct versions of the game, B.Rap Boys and B.Rap Boys Special.

I actually had the PCB long ago. I wonder which version I had O_o
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:10 am

New mame is out.

Also a whole bunch of atomiswave stuff has been dumped recently, including the brawlers Demolish Fist and Knights of Valour seven star spirits. The next version of demul will probably support the new dumps I guess.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:03 am

Crazy few weeks. First b rap boys, now all the atomiswave stuff playable.

Black Touch 96' emulation has also been improved but its still not properly working.

Also, some French dude uploaded vids of Zero Team
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPyKNHewME

I think the game looks pretty awesome.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:04 am

How playable is Atomis Wave stuff? Specifically Dolphin Blue?

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Dont bother in mame (about 5% speed)

Demul runs the stuff max speed though. There's a version of Demul floating around the emu sites which has all the new atomi stuff like Dolphin Blue and KOV Seven Spirits supported, though Dolphin Blue crashes in stage 2 for me. The next official version of Demul will likely fix many issues.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Cool, thanks for the head's up. Once the monitor goes back off it's side, I'll give it a whirl.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:02 pm

Zero Team looks pretty cool. Also, PCB packrats should learn to play their rare games or sell them to someone who will. :finger:

Emulated Dolphin Blue sounds like awesome news.

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:55 pm

JoshF wrote:PCB packrats should learn to play their rare games or sell them to someone who will.

Brian over at Shmups has a grip of awesome PCB's for sale. Hit it while you can! :)
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:01 pm

This reminds me, I might be buying (at least trying to again) a dudes New Zero Team, however he says that on all monitors he's tried it on the screen is distorted (stretched left) at the very top.

Is this because of the Seibu 54hz signal, or does it sound like a problem with the pcb?

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:13 pm

You didn't buy Zero Team when you got the chance?

Honestly, even though they're completely different games, I'd rather play Dolphin Blue. Even though I don't like Metal Slug and its variants, Dolphin Blue is a very solid and diverse game.

On the other hand, there are definitely plenty of 4-player beat-em-ups that are more engaging than Zero Team. The only thing fun for me in Zero Team is knocking the armor off bosses and throwing each part at them for huge damage.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:42 am

Macaw wrote:This reminds me, I might be buying (at least trying to again) a dudes New Zero Team, however he says that on all monitors he's tried it on the screen is distorted (stretched left) at the very top.

Is this because of the Seibu 54hz signal, or does it sound like a problem with the pcb?

I had a Zero Team before and don't recall any screen issues besides the sprites distortion (from the dead battery). Played it on an Astro City cab though.
become history

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:30 am

Ganelon wrote:On the other hand, there are definitely plenty of 4-player beat-em-ups that are more engaging than Zero Team. The only thing fun for me in Zero Team is knocking the armor off bosses and throwing each part at them for huge damage.

Haha, for me its all about style and atmosphere. I sorta equate these kinds of games to 80's and early 90's action movies, Zero Team therefore is probably a generic Seagal movie :D and thats half the reason why I love the genre. The other half is because if find em too damn fun.

Anyway, courtesy of RGB from shmups forum, here is a pic of the distortion (you can see its stretched wide along the top), and apparently when he ran it on an lcd screen instead of stretched along the top it was just completely shifted left. What do you guys think? RGB says someone from mame told him its a problem on most crts and not the pcb, but it would be nice to make sure. Ganelon, how does it run for you?

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:43 am

Zero Team runs flawlessly through my Sigma to my CRT. My version is also the New version (in the red letters) so it's not a matter of a suicide battery.

It's hard to envision that level of distortion being a cause of bad ROMs but I wouldn't take the chance unless it works perfectly on a different monitor.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Macaw wrote:For anyone not keeping up, B.Rap boys progress has been happening recently thanks to haze and a whole bunch of other mame devs

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/

I reckon it will likely be properly emulated by the end of the week, and then anyone will be able to enjoy the hilariously fun cheesiness of the game.

Oh and as it turns out, the reason there has been so much confusion in the past about different versions/regions of the game missing certain stuff, its because there are actually 2 different distinct versions of the game, B.Rap Boys and B.Rap Boys Special.

It seems both these versions were released in Japan, Special coming slightly after the original release and adding in a number of things such as rolling logs you need to jump over at the beginning of the game, as well as extra enemies like the karate and kabuki dudes.

Outside Japan both versions of the game could have been released too but I'm not sure.

I've got both- the "special" version actually has a raised daughterboard on it with more roms. There are a lot of differences between the two games. Special is more balanced, more moves, more diverse enemies, ect.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Does anyone know if the Japanese version of Sega's Spiderman arcade brawler is any different to the world versions? The Japanese version isn't in mame, but the world version has a heath counter that constantly ticks down, which is quiet possibly a change from the Japanese version, although its probably still possible to 1cc the game.

I've been playing it a bit recently (probably one of my least played belt scroll action games until now) and I find it a pretty solid brawler, a lot of the coolness and style of American comics comes through in it. The same could also be said of Captain America and the Avengers I guess, and its quite strange that both games have a 2nd genre mixed in (STG for Avengers, platforming for Spiderman).

Come to think of it, Both games are also the only arcade Marvel based games to feature Hawkeye, and both were released in 1991. haha.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”