The must have PC-Engine titles

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

The must have PC-Engine titles

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:28 am

Time for another one of these threads. This one could get pretty damn long, as there's a lot of fantastic games on this system.

I'll start it out with these...

Akumajo Dracula X (a given)
Spriggan
Soldier Blade
Pop 'n' Magic
Y's I - IV
Magical Chase
Coryoon
Fray CD: Xak Gaiden
Gekisha Boy
Kiki Kaikai
Parasol Stars
Shubibinman 3
Splatterhouse
Toilet Kids
Cotton
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:55 am

Some others (CD only):

R-TYPE COMPLETE CD
TENGAI MAKYOU II MANJIMARU
RAYXANBER III
SUMMER CARNIVAL '92 ALZADICK
TRAVEL EPULE
EXILE II
GOD PANIC SHIJOU SAIKYOU GUNDAN
NEXZR
GRADIUS II GOFER NO YABOU
XAK I - II
FAUSETTE AMOUR
MOONLIGHT LADY
GATE OF THUNDER
WINDS OF THUNDER
PC GENJIN SERIES CD DENJIN ROCKABILLY TENGOKU
STARTLING ODYSSEY
MAGICOAL
BAKUSHOU YOSHIMOTO SHINKIGEKI
KAZE KIRI NINJA ACTION
POPFUL MAIL
STARTLING ODYSSEY II
XAK III THE ETERNAL RECURRENCE
KAZE NO DENSETSU XANADU
TRAVELLERS! DENSETSU WO FUTTOBASE
AI CHOU ANIKI
KABUKI ITTOURYOUDAN
KAZE NO DENSETSU XANADU II
GINGA FUKEI DENSETSU SAPPHIRE
SEIYA MONOGATARI ANEARTH FANTASY STORIES
STEAM-HEART'S
SYLPHIA
TENGAI MAKYOU FUU-UN KABUKI DEN

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:01 am

I agree with most of 'em. I think Fausette Amour is great, but too many people jump in with "it's mediocre at best" when I mention it. I liked Startling Odyssey, although I've never gotten over getting stuck at the end. I think someone will pound you for Steam Hearts as well, although I liked it.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:35 am

I'll chime in with a few of my favs: Wizardry 1&2 Wizardry 3&4(One of my favourite series) Macross Eternal Love Song Stratego!(HU card) love theboardgame too :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:39 am

I assume Azazel will jump in here. In case he doesn't though... The SCD version of Langrisser, according to him, is the best one out there.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Bighab
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Bighab » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:48 am

Langrisser was good too *thunbs up*

Kaneko
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaneko » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:31 am

Nobody for Emerald dragon ? There is also one of my favorite shooter : Hana T繝サ

CaptainAmazing
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby CaptainAmazing » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:50 pm

I have a few pc engine related questions: What are the graphics like? Ive been told they are a bit better than genesis (Hu-Card wise) Do Hu cards ever have problems working? (I guess like older cartridge game problems, fuzzy screens, etc.) I heard that the pc engine systems crap out quite easily, is this true? what is the most durable system?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:31 pm

Emerald Dragon and Hanatakadaka are probably both worth adding to the list -- thanks for mentioning them.

As for the graphics... well... the color palette is way better than the genesis if you ask me... the games are better as well (also, if you ask me). My best suggestion is to download an emulator and give them a try. Most of the games mentioned here are really good games.

I don't know about stability other than the systems I"ve had. A Japanese Turbo Duo (black) and a Japanese Turbo Duo RX.... I didnt' play them day in/day out, but they never died on me.
Last edited by Gaijin Punch on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:26 pm

The PCE is able to display bigger resolutions than the MD, too. Unfortunately, you can't use RGB output unless you modify it.

mepian
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mepian » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:34 pm

Definitely Gomola Speed! :) A couple of other ones I love are Sonson2, Dondokodon, Legend of Hero Tonma and Dragon Egg. Oh and SplashLake.

Kaneko
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaneko » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:54 pm

to compare Genesis/Mega drive and PC Engine capacity, try each versions of Aero blasters...you'll understand how PC Engine is a fabulous system.
However the lastest Mega drive's games as Gunstar Heroes or Alien Soldier are unworkable on PC Engine system (Hu card).
To my mind, a game as Kaze no densetsu Xanadu II (Sup cd rom 2) is more beautiful than some of the lastest Super famicom games !

I would add Mizubaku daib繝サ

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:48 pm

Gunhed, Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade, Final Soldier and Dragon Spirit too. Gotta love all those PCE shmups. ;)
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.'' Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:10 am

Legend of Xanadu II is quite beautiful... as I've stated before though, I just think there's a bit too much "back and forth" to it. Sylphia is another fantastic shmup Space Fantasy Zone is kinda needed to make the cult collection complete

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:26 am

Hucards you shouldn't have any problems with. If your going to run across any problems it's going to be with the cds and the cd systems. I've rarely ever heard of people having problems with playing hucards.

Generally Hucard graphics are as good as a Genesis and sometimes better. Some of the faster paced games like Contra, Gunstar Heroes can't be done on the PC Engine. For the CD game some of the later game graphics are as good as some Snes games like Emerald Dragon, Ys 4, Legend of Xanadu 2, Seiyu Monotagari etc.

I'll post my own must have list in a moment. I'll mention a few titles that haven't been mentioned yet I believe.

hucards
1943 Kai
Bloody Wolf
Devil's Crush
Kyukyuko Tiger
Legend of valkyrie
Neutopia 1, 2
Ninja Spirit
Ninja Ryuyuken
Shinobi
W Ring/Doube Ring

CDs
Alshark
Double Dragon 2(borderline)
Dragon Slayer Legend of Heroes 1, 2
Gulliver Boy
Louga 2
Ruin
Spriggan 2(still good in it's own right, even though it's completly different from the first one)
Star Breaker
Super Raiden(Not a Raiden expert but looks like one of the better versions)
Tenchi Wo Kurau(borderline)
Maybe 1 one 2 of the Valis games

As for a few of the ones mention. Here's kind of my own opionions on them

Coryoon, PC GENJIN SERIES CD DENJIN ROCKABILLY TENGOKU
and Magicial Chase.
Neither of these I found that great. You'll probably beat them in your first try and never touch them again. If you like the cutsey shooters Cotton is much better.

I'd probably replace Toilet kids, Ai Cho Aniki, Steam hearts with something else as there are so many better shooters on the system.

BAKUSHOU YOSHIMOTO SHINKIGEKI
This is a probably a sub par to average platformer and doesn't doesn't belong on a best of list for a system. there's about 3 or 4 other platformers I'd put ahead of this.

Startling Odyssey
I would drop this one as the sequel is much better. Also the game has some programming problems where you can get stuck and not be able to go on kind of like with Arunumus No Kibi. Also the end of the game has stumped both me and Gaijin.

Probably replace Nexzr with Summer Carnival 93 as you get the both the full game as well as the 2 carnival modes.

Summer Carnival 92 could probably be dropped as a game that only has 2 carnival modes and not a full game on it.

Travellers is also kind of borderline as there a lot of RPGs that are much better on the system.

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:48 pm

Here's my kind of best of list.

Hucards
1943 Kai
City Hunter
Devil Crush
Final Soldier
Gunhead
Kyukyuko Tiger
Mizabuku Adventure
Neutopia 1, 2
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Spirit
Parasol Stars
Soldier Blade
Son Son 2
Super Star Soldier
War of the Dead
W Ring/Double Ring

Cds
Alshark
Chiki Chiki Boys
Double Dragon 2
Downtown Nekketsu Monotagari
Dragon Slayer Legend of Heroes 1, 2
Dracula X
Emerald Dragon
Fausette Armour
Gain Ground
Gates of Thunder
Gradius 2 Gofer
Hellfire S
Horror Story
Kaze Kari
Langrisser
Legend of Xanadu 1, 2
Louga 2
Magicoal
Mystic Formula
Popful Mail
Ruin
Seiyu monotagari
Slyphia
Spriggan 1, 2
Star Breaker
Star Parodia
Startling Odyssey 2
Summer Carnival 93 Nexzr Special
Super Raiden
Tenchi Wo Kurau
Valis 1, 4
Xak 1-3, Xak Gaiden Fray
Winds of Thunder
Ys 1-4

delafro
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby delafro » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:11 am

Well, some of my favorites that didn't get mentioned are -the Jackie Chan game- really great -Alien Crush -Dodondokodo (or something like that)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:56 pm

Yeah DonDokoDon is good. I prefer Pop 'n' Magic over it though (I thought I put that in here)

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:19 am

I thought it was Dodondoko but I could be wrong. Rainbow Island or Parasol Stars are probably the best of that kind of game. I would probably leave Alien Crush off as the sequel is much better. Jackie Chan seemed really sub par to average to me.

Kaneko
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaneko » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:35 am

Jackie chan is a realy master piece I think ! Parasol star is also realy good, but a bit expensive. To my mind Kaze Kiri is not a must have. I found the game disappointing due to its repetitiveness.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:56 pm

I liked Kaze Kiri... a lot. Repetitive yes, but I think a LOT of 16-bit action games really are when it comes down to it. I do agree that Rainbow Island is good, btu I liked it better before I saw it have like 18 ports. :?

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:18 pm

Actually parasol Stars isn't that expensive anymore or at least the import one doesn't go for as much as it once did. Almost every game is going to have some kind of repetitition. Kaze kari was pretty good and the CD side of things didn't have a lot of platformers to begin with. Also play it on a harder difficulty setting and it gives you a pretty good challenge.

dessgeega
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby dessgeega » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:56 am

have galaga 88 and nectaris just been omitted because they go without saying? i'm going to add atomic robo-kid special.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:59 am

Azazel wrote:Actually parasol Stars isn't that expensive anymore or at least the import one doesn't go for as much as it once did.
It still does in Japan, or at least in Akiahbara. I saw it listed in a couple of places at the 7,000 yen or so mark. Haven't been keeping up with Yahoo Japan.
have galaga 88 and nectaris just been omitted because they go without saying?
I never tried them on the system. I do hear great things about Nectaris though.

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:12 pm

Nectaris is great, think Famicom Wars crossed with AMC. I think the best version of Nectaris to get though, is Neo Nectaris on Super CD-Rom. Just like the original, only spiffier sound, intros, etc. EDIT: Personally, my favorite Strategy game on PCE is Macross: Eien No Lovesong, although I have yet to try Langrisser, which might be a contender.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”