Missed arcade gems

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Missed arcade gems

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 25, 2008 6:38 am

Seems like you can always dig through MAME (or in Japan, go through an arcade) and find a gem you missed. I never knew Warrior Blade existed until I combed through the MAME list some years ago. Not wanting to wait in line for a fucking eternity to play Daifukkatsu yesterday, I wondered to the back and witnessed someone raping a Metal Slug game. Next to it, was Geo Storm by Irem. Basically a Metal Slug clone. It plays well, and doesn't have a bunch of Slug reused sprites, so that automatically makes it better for me.

Feel free to comment on said game, or name your own.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun May 25, 2008 7:08 am

I wouldn't call Geo Storm a Metal Slug clone considering it came out before MS, and was made by pretty much the same team :P

I love it. They just went completely bananna's with action overload. Give your character 2 guns you fire simultaneously, make everything explode and have ridiculously huge explosions, throw in shitloads of pointless objects that can just be destroyed for the sake of it, action game gold.

As for other arcade games relatively unknown that are awesome.....hmmm...

Thunderfox - quality platformer from Taito released in 1990

Riding Fight - Essentially like a beat em up but the stages have you riding into the horizon on a hover board. Final Fight mutated with F-Zero.

Legend - bizzare platformer in which you have to hire/bribe enemy soldiers to join your party and you use them fight your way through the stages.

Mutant Night - another bizzare platformer. I cant really explain what the fuck is goin on with this, you'll have to try it yourself. Fun though.

Mystic Warriors - the follow up to Sunset Riders (completely unrelated in story and theme though) which barely anyone seems to know about.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sun May 25, 2008 7:28 am

What exactly is there to know about Mystic Warriors? It has pretty good music but I can't stand the character designs.

Anyway, I learned about plenty of JP-only gems through MAME. Gundam EX Revue, Sailor Moon, Dan-Ku-Ga (beta of Kaiser Knuckle). Actually, the first 2 may have had US releases but I sure never saw them anywhere.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Sun May 25, 2008 7:36 am

Nebulas Ray - Rare Namco shooter. I think the MAME rom works, but without sound. This game is pretty hard to find. If you manage to find a cab I would love to see pics of it.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sun May 25, 2008 7:58 am

Ganelon wrote:What exactly is there to know about Mystic Warriors? It has pretty good music but I can't stand the character designs.

Haha, I absolutely love that period in the early 90's when heaps of Konami releases had designs and themes clearly inspired by American cartoons.

Metamorphic Force is particularly awesome in this regard. When I first played it, I thought for sure it must have been based on some American Saturday morning cartoon or something. To my surprise it was completely original.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 25, 2008 8:18 am

I wouldn't call Geo Storm a Metal Slug clone considering it came out before MS, and was made by pretty much the same team

There you go. See, I had no clue. Either way, I enjoyed my one single credit. I will put some more time into it with MAME.

And the thread shouldn't be dedicated to just sleepers... but maybe games that *YOU* missed due to geography, real life, or whatever reason.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sun May 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Funky Jet - Great one-screen platformer by Mitchell (although manufactured by Data East). It's sort of a mixture between a beat 'em up and Snow Bros. (but with a jet pack and boxing gloves). I've had the board for about a year but never gave it much time until last week. Great visuals (especially if you like the Cannon Dancer / Karate Tournament style) and a cool funky soundtrack (by Reika or Maro from Data East, can't say for sure but I recognize the style). The scoring system is simple but gets very strategical and fast paced.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun May 25, 2008 11:53 pm

Need to check that one out in Mame. What's the hardware?

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Mon May 26, 2008 2:29 am

The way your character's arm moves in Geo Storm always reminds me of Earnest Evans....

Funny how Japanese devs parody their own culture in games like Mystic Warriors. TEMPURA! SUSHI! UDON! (although the tempura is clearly an ebi fry).

Charlie Ninja (Mitchell) - another relatively unknown title, developed in JP but not released there, 2P simul action platformer running on Data East hardware.

Ultimate PC Genjin (Kaneko) - 2P simul Bonk adventure that never made it past the test stage, used to own the board not sure if it is emulated
become history

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Mon May 26, 2008 6:24 am

Oh, some great ones have already been listed -- nice to see funky jet mentioned ;)

Mysterious Stones: Dr. John's Adventure
An action game from Technos where you guide Dr. John (or Dr. Kick in the Japanese version) through various maze-like tombs searching for treasure.
Pressing the A button makes Dr. John perform a kick attack. Hitting object like vases will cause them to move across the room until they collide with something. If one vase hits another it will cause a chain reaction, damaging all vases in a row or column. Hit the vase twice and it will break, revealing treasure, a ghost, or sometimes an enemy. Button B fires a bullet. Use this to kill ghosts and destroy other enemies that will chase you around.
Destroy the ghost in each room to unlock the doors and coninue. Each room has several exits, each leading to different rooms. You have a limited amount of time to reach the treasure room and escape, so don't explore for too long!

Once you reach the treasure room, grab a treasure and get the hell out! If you take too long you'll be left behind and faced with a game over.

If you escape, your treasure will be appraised for value.
Goddammit, all that work for nothing!

Basically it's a kick-ass scoring game. You'll have to plan out a good route that passes through the highest scoring rooms while still giving you enough time to finish your mission. The controls feel a little dated, but they will start to grow on you after a while. I can't seem to get into the second stage tomb, but I'm working on it. There are stones outside the tombs that will give you hints, but if you hit them from the wrong side, the image will appear half offscreen and you can't see what it says :/
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Mon May 26, 2008 8:21 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Need to check that one out in Mame. What's the hardware?

It's just a custom board by Data East: "JK" DE-0372 Mitchell

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Mon May 26, 2008 9:19 am

Some suggestions...

- COWBOYS OF MOO-MESA (Konami): the real sequel to Sunset Riders,
the characters are four cowboys.. literally. Cow - boys, indeed.

- TRIO THE PUNCH (Data East): one of the weirdest, most surreal and trashest games EVER. Choose from 3 characters and battle a horde of Karnovs, the transform in a sheep. Crazy.

More later...

Geo Storm is really good game.
It can be considered as a prequel to Metal Slug, because many of former Irem employes found a job at SNK. In fact, if you analyze some of SNK games you can clearly see they are done by the same hands.
For example:
-'Last Resort' has the distinctive Irem graphic and gameplay style, it reminds 'Gallop';
-'Metal Slug' even reuses some of (well, most of..) 'Geo Storm' sound effects (the prisoners screams )
-'Big Tournament Golf' is a copycat of 'The Irem Skin Game'
-'Top Hunter' has also the rich graphic style of Irem games

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon May 26, 2008 9:32 am

Hahaha yes, Mysterious Stones is AWESOME. I remember playing once and getting a treasure worth 0 points. gah!

Cowboys being the real follow up to sunset riders? Come on, Mystic Warriors has got the Sunset Riders opening as a background advertisement in the first stage :P But yeah, it does play closest to Sunset Riders.

Trio The Punch is definitely one of the weirdest games ever. The last 'boss' is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen, ahah.

When talking about that Irem/Metal Slug graphic style, apart from Geostorm its also most apparent in Undercover Cops and that submarine game which I forget the name of. I've never looked at and matched the credits, but surely they are all from the same graphic dudes.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Mon May 26, 2008 10:52 am

Kaitei Daisensou / In the Hunt

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Tue May 27, 2008 6:01 am

Gaia Crusaders is an awesome unheard of game. The only thing that comes close to it is Neo Geo's Sengoku 3.

Guwange is a title I downloaded on impulse and was very pleased.

If it wasn't for MAME, I would have never have heard of Esp. Ra.De, since no arcades carried it where I live.

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Tue May 27, 2008 7:12 am

In fact, Sengoku 3 was developed by the same people of Gaia Crusaders
(Noise Factory)

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Tue May 27, 2008 9:47 am

Yesterday I spent the night on MAME to help me remember some B-side
games worth checking..

- Kyukyoku Sentai DADAN-DAN (Konami) aka 'Monster Maulers'
a game similar to Capcom's Warzard, choose from 3 fighters and battle
giant monsters such as the Moai head from Gradius, the brain from Salamander. I remember that at my local arcade there was a beta vers. with only 2 player characters and no last boss..

- Dragoon Might (Konami 1996)
a 1vs1 or 3vs3 fighting game with really good anime-inspired character design, sadly didn't have a chance of succeed in that time crowded VS market.

- Guardians - Denjin Makai II (Banpresto)
yoko scroll action fighting game with weird characters and lots of moves

- Gundahara (Banpresto)
tate scroll top view shooting game of the Ikari - Senjo no Ookami genre.
Worth noting if only for the bike-riding second stage, strong resemblance with Dash Yarou. I suspect that former Toaplan members developed some Banpresto games.

- Osman (Mitchell)
really good Strider clone

- The Great Rag Time Show (Data East) aka Boogie Wings?
yoko shooting game with peculiar mechanics

- Moeyo Gonta!! (Mitchell?)
Action-puzzle game, dive in the water and turn panels to reveal some hentai pics..

- Outfoxies (Namco)
sort of Rolling Thunder meets Smash Bros 1vs1 fighting (?) game

- Dyna Gears (Sammy 1994)
yoko scroll action game similar to Joe&Mac or Top Hunter

LGB
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby LGB » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:35 pm

Oni - The Ninja Master/Metamoquester | Pandorabox/Banpresto, fighter? Huge bosses, 3 characters, but it's a lot like a fighting game. Not sure what you'd call it.

Ajax/Typhoon | Konami, shooter. 3 words: Vertical helicopter Gradius.

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Mappy wrote:- Kyukyoku Sentai DADAN-DAN (Konami) aka 'Monster Maulers'
giant monsters such as the Moai head from Gradius, the brain from Salamander. I remember that at my local arcade there was a beta vers. with only 2 player characters and no last boss..

Just looked up some video's of this earlier today 'cause I spotted one for sale. Looks pretty sweet! Some of the moves are kinda silly looking, but for a 1993 game, it kinda comes w/ the territory, I guess.
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:10 am

undamned wrote:
Mappy wrote:- Kyukyoku Sentai DADAN-DAN (Konami) aka 'Monster Maulers'

Just looked up some video's of this earlier today 'cause I spotted one for sale. Looks pretty sweet! Some of the moves are kinda silly looking, but for a 1993 game, it kinda comes w/ the territory, I guess.
-ud

It's all about the crazy sentai songs playing in the background!

Asura Blade/Buster (Fuuki) - obscure 2D fighter, the system is better in the sequel but the visuals aren't nearly as good as Blade

Heated Barrel (TAD) - decent followup to Blood Bros. but is a shooting sidescroller sort of like Sunset Riders without the platforming, some stuff is recycled a bit too much though, again not sure if it is emulated
become history

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:33 am

Speaking of Charlie Ninja, most people don't know that the player has 3 special moves.

over, down, down-over plus attack = lunge then shoryuken (hold attack for a longer lunge)
up, up-over, over plus attack= blanka style rolling tackle
down, down-over, over plus jump= rising tatsumaki sempuu kick

I also noticed that when you do the hurricane kick under the sign in the first level that says "knock out" or something you get a special bonus.

undamned
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby undamned » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:07 pm

JoshF wrote:Speaking of Charlie Ninja, most people don't know that the player has 3 special moves.

over, down, down-over plus attack = lunge then shoryuken (hold attack for a longer lunge)
up, up-over, over plus attack= blanka style rolling tackle
down, down-over, over plus jump= rising tatsumaki sempuu kick

I also noticed that when you do the hurricane kick under the sign in the first level that says "knock out" or something you get a special bonus.

I figured this out, too! Does that make me cool :?
-ud
icycalm wrote:No one is really in a position to critique me at this point in time, because all who try are uneducated.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”