Any Arcade Cabinet owners here?

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Any Arcade Cabinet owners here?

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri May 30, 2008 12:59 am

I can never get a clear answer from anyone I've asked yet, but those of you who own a cabinet, JAMMA or otherwise, where did you get yours? How much did it cost? I want to get a sitdown cabinet for Neo-geo and atomiswave stuff, but I don't know where to go.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhRgvmgTByw

imported full containers (20-30cabs if you only go for SD cabs), kept some and sold the rest, this was a few years ago but a friend of mine still does it on occation so i have a steady supply of cabs coming in every now and then.

the people at killerkabs do groupdeals if youre located somewhere in central europe and if youre in the US there are several importers...

the cost per cab is really low if you order a full container, but if you order just one the shipping will kill you if you dont have the right contacts, its still possible.
talk to teh people at coinopexpress and theyll help you out with all the details, be firm tho, theyre chinese ;)

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri May 30, 2008 8:32 am

Matsu in Cali (who for some reason doesn't post on shmups or kc) sells cabs. droid (a user at both forums) is kind of his mouth piece fofr hotse two places.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri May 30, 2008 4:50 pm

The cabs themselves don't seem that expensive, but shipping to AL is way overpriced. :whack:

No local sellers around here either. I might have to look into getting finding a decent supergun instead. :cry:

Sven, I'm super jealous btw. Nice, super nice. ;)
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Fri May 30, 2008 7:41 pm

I did not go with a CAB setup since don't have the space and moving it would be a pain.

Instead, I went with a Boardmaster (all in on control box). Its sort of crazy having my NAOMI stuff all strung out, but atleast its portable and I can hook it up to S-Video displays if I want, in addition to onboard VGA from the NAOMI mb.

These types of all in one boxes run about 600-800+ USD depending.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Fri May 30, 2008 10:13 pm

I intend to be a future cab owner :) In fact I am currently saving money for an Egret 2 or at least a cab with easily rotable screen.
What about Atomiswave branded cabs? Are their screens impossible to rotate (alone)? I don't need any automatic rotating systems, but I want to be able to get it done alone.

How much would be shipping from the US (i.e. from that California-guy GP mentioned) to Canada? Is there any known cab-dealer located in Canada maybe?

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Fri May 30, 2008 10:35 pm

Hey ave, there is a guy on Digitpress.com who sells them from canada. He usually sells Sitdown cabs though. I wanted one, but shipping from Canada to Alabama is over $700

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat May 31, 2008 12:10 am

I don't think you're ever going to get "cheap" shipping on them. I'll be getting a cab once I get my own office, but not sure when that will be. Hopefully sometime in 2008.

If you want to go the supergun route I can get you either the AV7000/9000TB combo, or a Raijin (an all-in-one like lordnikon talked about). Either run a bit over $500 shipped to the US. The boardmaster would be quite a bit more, as the base cost is $500.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sat May 31, 2008 2:04 am

Ah, I'm taking it that's the Sigma Raijin on your for sale page?

I have a truck and could easily haul one myself, but there are no local sellers around here. The closest one is 2 hours away, and his cab only has 3 buttons, not 6.

If I can't find anything within the next month, I'll probably have to settle for one of your superguns.

SuperPang
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby SuperPang » Sat May 31, 2008 11:36 am

ave wrote:What about Atomiswave branded cabs? Are their screens impossible to rotate (alone)? I don't need any automatic rotating systems, but I want to be able to get it done alone.
Not ideal for shmups. Heavy scanlines in 15khz mode and no monitor frame so a nervy rotate.

If you want to rotate regularly on your own get an Egret 2 or something with a 25/26" monitor.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sat May 31, 2008 11:59 am

SuperPang wrote:If you want to rotate regularly on your own get an Egret 2 or something with a 25/26" monitor.
Why on earth a 25/26"? Mine's a 29 and it's easy to rotate with one hand even.

If you're getting only one cabinet, I'd also recommend an Egret II. Rotation isn't super quick (but I usually leave my PCB's in for several weeks to get into them anyway, so it doesn't bother me much), but many times easier than with the Astro City for instance (which involves a lot of screwing, unmounting, heavy lifting and reassambling for each time you want to flip it).

SuperPang
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby SuperPang » Sat May 31, 2008 12:03 pm

O_o I mean rotating a 29" cab without a rotation mech on your own is hard work

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sat May 31, 2008 12:04 pm

Whoops, my bad.

SuperPang
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby SuperPang » Sat May 31, 2008 12:08 pm

Best cabs for rotating are Egret 1 & 2, Jaleco Pony 2 & 3 and the later Capcom Q25s.

drboom
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby drboom » Sat May 31, 2008 1:06 pm

Got my Astro City from Matsu and I would highly recommend him. Shipping will be a bitch, but suck it up. It's well worth it.
IMO, Astro City's are a good way to go. The monitor rotation takes all of 5 minutes alone, less than half that when there is someone there and parts seem to be readily available from people here in the states.
That being said, if you find an Egret II at less than twice the price of an Astro City, get it. They are getting increasingly harder to find.
Here's a price comparison of what seems to be selling for in the US these days:
Egret II: $1,000 - 1,500 (seen some as high as $1,600, some as low as $800)
Astro City: $600 - 700
New Astro City: $650 - 850
There's a lot of cabs that just didn't grace these shores in numbers, so it may be tough much else. These seem to be the most popular.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sat May 31, 2008 5:03 pm

Finally found Matsu's site, and he has the most reasonable prices. I'll just hold out so I can get a really good one from him.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:04 am

RadiantSvgun wrote:Hey ave, there is a guy on Digitpress.com who sells them from canada. He usually sells Sitdown cabs though. I wanted one, but shipping from Canada to Alabama is over $700

Whats his nickname on DP? :) I don't post there very often but would like to contact him about an Egret sitdown cab.
I will be living in Canada by that time so shipping wouldn't (hopefully) not over far distance like CA->Alabama.
If I would buy a cab here (germany), I'd pay around 150$ shipping - but the Egret 2 costs also another ‾1400$ (standard screen, no vga). I wonder if I should buy it now or when I'm in Canada... what would be cheaper? >_<

+thanks for your advices on the screen rotability! As I don't really want to go the supergun route (need authentic atmosphere :whack: and it would gonna be almost as expensive as the cab-route), I need an Egret 2 w/saturn+PS2 jamma adapter.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:53 am

the name is : SegaNaomi. He is usually hanging around arcade alley.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:09 am

Thanks, I just contacted him. He is located in the Montreal area, so shipping wouldn't get too much to Alberta I hope.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:36 pm

OT: What are you going to do in Canada? University?

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Nothing fixed yet, but if it works out me and my family are going to live there for quite some time (I will at least as long as University takes, maybe interrupted by a semester in Japan? ^_^).

PS: Just checked a map of Canada. It's 3700km from Edmonton to Montreal, holy shit. Thats like from here to the middle of the Sahara... I have to get familiar with american distances >_<

And he does not ship those cabs anyway. Seems harder than I thought to get a cab up there... maybe I should get one beforehand.
Last edited by ave on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:06 pm

He won't ship? Weak dude.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:20 pm

ave wrote:And he does not ship those cabs anyway. Seems harder than I thought to get a cab up there... maybe I should get one beforehand.

Get one from Matsu. He will ship anywhere, apparently.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:51 pm

I just contacted droid. His last post is an offer for Egret 2 cabs (1200$, good price imo)... the "last Matsu will sell". O_O Well I'll see if we can't work something out.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:11 pm

Shit... so he's not going to sell cabs anymore? If storage wasn't an issue, I would totally orchestrate sending them from this end.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”