The Rotary Stick/Loop Lever games...

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Re: The Rotary Stick/Loop Lever games...

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:27 am

I like Datsugoku, but watching the 1CC of it where only the kick jump is used is painfully boring!
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Fuck, I'm pretty sick of using my ghetto button setups for playing loop lever games, so I might just buy an ls-30.

How hard are they to install, and I guess more importantly how well do they work in mame? Can you actually get an accurately use of the stick in mame or is it only worwhile to use the stick on the real boards?

Also wheres the best place to buy them and whats a good price?
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

emphatic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby emphatic » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:52 pm

1. Finding an LS-30 in a state worth caring for is diffucult
2. Mounting it might be tricky if your base isn't thick/tall enough
3. Interfacing it with MAME might be tricky as well as the LS-30's rotary has digital fixed points and MAME (IIRC) uses spinner/mouse for this

I think Ultimarc's Ultrastik 360 will receive a rotary upgrade soon, that might be much easier to install and configure.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:54 am

I bought that device and never got it to work, but then again, I didn't put too much effort into it. I found the driver to be counter-intuitive, and there's basically no help out there. Maybe there is now. Again, didn't put too much time into it.

They show up on YJ from time to time, but they can be pricey. So, just watch and wait I would say.

The hard part is finding a base large enough to house the stick. It's huge (that's what she said). It just barely fits in a Sigma Raijin.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:14 am

How do these actually connect to a pcb? I'd assume 6 wires, do they all go to the edge? Or do you need a special connector?
Stronger then your average deadite

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:35 am

You need both a connection for the standard directions that connects as normal and also another cable that goes from the joystick to the PCB just for the rotation. I bought GP's big Sigma Raijin just for these games but switched back to normal joysticks while my AV7000 is broken. I'm sure the man himself will tell you the difficulties he had in performing the modifications necessary. Being a lazy man, I snapped it up rather than making my own solution.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:58 am

That sucks that mame just emulates it as a spinner instead of 8 digital points or whatever. Is it worth the effort to use them in mame?

And would they fit in one of the hori RAPs?
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

emphatic
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby emphatic » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 am

Macaw wrote:That sucks that mame just emulates it as a spinner instead of 8 digital points or whatever. Is it worth the effort to use them in mame?

And would they fit in one of the hori RAPs?

I'll try and snap a side-by-side with a JLF later if I remember. In the meantime: http://www.emphatic.se/?p=991

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:25 pm

I don't know of a RAP that it would fit in. It literally has about half a centimeter of space left in the Raijin, and that thing is huge.

I'm not sure how MAME handles it but I thought there was way to send those signals to MAME natively. Kind of weird how you set it up. My days of controller modding are over, unfortunately.

Magic Knight
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Magic Knight » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:05 am

Just been playing my rotary games for the first time, does anyone remember offhand if their SAR PCB has the same problem as shown here at the bottom, where the gameplay graphics don't get completely wiped when the high scores come on?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”