[PS2] ThunderForce VI [2008/10/30]

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:02 pm

JoshF wrote:Zinger you should play less shooting games, that way your opinion won't matter and we can all be happy and unchallenged.

Actually, I can't tell if you're joking or not but it sounds healthy.

JoshF wrote:Also, it looks good. The biggest thing to worry about is the return of Free-range.

I think I read somewhere that you don't lose your weapons when you die. That would force the developers to balance the weapons in some way, if they have any sense at all.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:07 pm

My efforts involved convicing GP that he isn't using properly his own native language

Although my retort shows quite clearly that I was.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:13 pm

Wow, this topic became brutal outta nowhere :o

I never knew Thunderforce could ignite people like this.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:32 am

SHUT YOUR FACE RADIANTSVGUN
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:35 am

What kind of scoring systems did Thunderforce have before V? I seem to recall a time bonus for the overhead stages, but beyond that is it just survival bonuses?
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:52 am

What kind of scoring systems did Thunderforce have before V?

Broken.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:42 am

TF5 is totally jacked
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:49 am

So is 2 and 4, but they didn't even try with those.

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:05 am

zinger wrote:You're the one who started all the namecalling; fourteen-year-olds, fakes, disloyal Cave fans or whatever that was, and you keep bringing up comments from god knows what boards, and shove them into our mouths.

Well, when people start flinging insults on the internet like Recap, then yea they are acting like a 14 year old.

I havn't been shoving any comments into your mouth zinger. Within the shooter community there is a contingent of users who are elitest trolls, which is a real shame. They tend to flame & trash almost every new shooter release. Most of these users are bigtime Cave fans. Now, this isn't to say that all Cave fans are like this. I made a distinction earler that there are Cave Fanboys, and True Cavefans who are able to appreciate Cave without having to trash every other game to justify their interest.

Some excerpts from your previous replies in this thread:

zinger: "Thunder Force should be left alone, especially if all they can come up with is cheap shit like this. It looks like ass..."
zinger: "Make something that rivals the best shooters of today"
zinger: "My standards are elitist"
zinger: "I expect every company to make an effort to develop the genre like Cave, Raizing and G.Rev"

So yea when I see someone saying stuff like this, and even saying how they aren't even going to be purchasing the game anyway, they come off to me as elitest Cave Fanboys who are trolling a thread.

zinger wrote:When I, in spite of your attitude, answered all your comments, you ignored my post. If you can't understand what we're saying you can either do your homework or keep the bullshit to yourself. Show some respect!

When the discussion gets to the point where I have to re-quote or re-explain my words I usually cease responding to the person in question. zinger, your last reply to me did not make any sense.

Here is what you said about console shooters earlier in the discussion:

zinger: "...console shooters need to grow up and learn from their arcade counterparts..."

So Iin my reply to that I proceed to point out that in the last 10 years, a very very small amount of console originated shooters exist. Titles like Bangai-O, Silpheed: The Lost Planet, Xyanide, and Iridion/Nanostray. This is what I would call "doing my homework".

However you then reply to the above saying:

zinger: "No, I'm talking about console shooters (that aren't arcade ports)"

Its like we are at the fast food drive in and one of us is asking for a cheeseburger, I hand you a cheeseburger, and you give it back to me say "No I said cheeseburger". How am I even supposed to respond to what you are saying?

LGB
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby LGB » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Welcome to the internet. Try not to trip over any twucks.

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:01 pm

lordnikon wrote:zinger: "Thunder Force should be left alone, especially if all they can come up with is cheap shit like this. It looks like ass..."
zinger: "Make something that rivals the best shooters of today"
zinger: "My standards are elitist"
zinger: "I expect every company to make an effort to develop the genre like Cave, Raizing and G.Rev"

So yea when I see someone saying stuff like this, and even saying how they aren't even going to be purchasing the game anyway, they come off to me as elitest Cave Fanboys who are trolling a thread.

So, what are your expectations when it comes to new games? "a decent bang for buck"? Cave and G.Rev are not the most important STG companies of all time, but they are for a fact the most important STG developers of today. But since you can't realize that, I have no reason to discuss this with you at all. Any developer wanting my attention will have to try to rival them, because the only reason to play mediocre games as I see it, is to learn how to distinct them from the best. Thunder Force VI looks like a stupid "retro" revival, and that's not what I'm looking for: how can this be so hard for you to understand?

zinger wrote:Here is what you said about console shooters earlier in the discussion:

zinger: "...console shooters need to grow up and learn from their arcade counterparts..."

So Iin my reply to that I proceed to point out that in the last 10 years, a very very small amount of console originated shooters exist. Titles like Bangai-O, Silpheed: The Lost Planet, Xyanide, and Iridion/Nanostray. This is what I would call "doing my homework".

Eh? You should have replied: "Yes, let's hope Thunder Force VI does, unlike its prequels!", or you could also have replied "No, I think I like my scoring systems broken and I just love the unbalanced weapons but with 20+ extends to make up for all the lives I lose if I were to lose Hunter or Free-Range". I'm sure there are good reasons to why Silpheed: The Lost Planet, Xyanide, and Iridion/Nanostray were ignored by the STG community.

lordnikon wrote:However you then reply to the above saying:

zinger: "No, I'm talking about console shooters (that aren't arcade ports)"

Its like we are at the fast food drive in and one of us is asking for a cheeseburger, I hand you a cheeseburger, and you give it back to me say "No I said cheeseburger". How am I even supposed to respond to what you are saying?

Dude, what the hell, sentences are supposed to be read until the punctuation mark:
zinger wrote:No, I'm talking about console shooters (that aren't arcade ports) released in the past 20 years.

The average arcade shooter has always been better than the average console shooter, and there's a good reason for that: "because they just have to be.". This is something that the developer needs to understand in order to make Thunder Force VI a great game!

lordnikon wrote:When the discussion gets to the point where I have to re-quote or re-explain my words I usually cease responding to the person in question.

I hear you, I've had enough.
Last edited by zinger on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:24 am

zinger wrote:Eh? You should have replied: "Yes, let's hope Thunder Force VI does, unlike its prequels!", or you could also have replied "No, I think I like my scoring systems broken and I just love the unbalanced weapons but with 20+ extends to make up for all the lives I lose if I were to lose Hunter or Free-Range". I'm sure there are good reasons to why Silpheed: The Lost Planet, Xyanide, and Iridion/Nanostray were ignored by the STG community.

Don't want to step into your argument but this point in particular is something I want to touch upon. I won't declare myself a hardcore shooter but I do know how the systems work (if it was VF, I could write a book...anyhow). I'd say a good number of the late 80's/early 90's era horizontal shooters have gameplay solely based upon your current powerups. Gradius III readily comes to mind. If you die in later stages, better to just give up and start over. Yet, games like that are considered classics especially in the JP community.
Last edited by Shou on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:53 am

Yet, games like that are considered classics especially in the JP community.

Mainly due to nostalgia, not due to a great scoring system. There are apparently some check points in Gradius III that are survivable with no power ups. But many will require a game restart.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:50 am

(Wait for it...)

1min 33sec VIDEO CLIP!

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080728/tf.htm

1.) They nailed the speed, it is indeed fast
2.) City flyby at 15 second mark is impressive
3.) Isometric view changes could be awkward during boss encounters
4.) Enemy explosion noise(thud) is wierd, but is starting to grow on me
5.) looks too easy/worried about enemy pattern variety
6.) I love the music, however it is more "Sega" sounding rock rather than ThunderForce metal
7.) Graphics seem on par with Silpheed: The Lost Planet

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 am

lordnikon wrote:7.) Graphics seem on par with Silpheed: The Lost Planet

But not at all.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:16 am

That would be a compliment to Silpheed, me thinks.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:47 am

The Lost Planet's art direction is miles away from this no-budget shit; buy that.

Dais
Resident Fuck You
Resident Fuck You

Postby Dais » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:09 pm

Recap wrote:The Lost Planet's art direction is miles away from this no-budget shit; buy that.

Part of the reason I still visit this board is to see posts by you, and man, you never disappoint.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:19 pm

Lost Planet was a steaming pile.. and best of all, it was amazingly boring. Quite a shock that it came from Treasure. I'm not saying TFVI is some work of art, but there's no need to start lies about Silpheed. It's terrible.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:08 am

Dais wrote:Part of the reason I still visit this board is to see posts by you, and man, you never disappoint.

Your mom doesn't, either.

It's terrible.

The game is terrible, but its visuals aren't at all. Compared to Border Down, Radirgy, Trizeal and the usual contemporary stuff, that is.

Dais
Resident Fuck You
Resident Fuck You

Postby Dais » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:11 am

Recap wrote:
Dais wrote:Part of the reason I still visit this board is to see posts by you, and man, you never disappoint.

Your mom doesn't, either.

All things considered, you probably should have learned English conversational skills from someone other than Icycalm.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:53 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Lost Planet was a steaming pile.. and best of all, it was amazingly boring. Quite a shock that it came from Treasure. I'm not saying TFVI is some work of art, but there's no need to start lies about Silpheed. It's terrible.

Really? I liked Sylpheed for the most part. Except that your ship moved too slow and the difficulty jump on last stage was outright wrong.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:11 am

All things considered, you probably should have learned English conversational skills from someone other than Icycalm.

haha, that explains so much.
Beautiful Burnout

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:49 am

Dais wrote:All things considered, you probably should have learned English conversational skills from someone other than Icycalm.

You probably should learn the proper usage of the transitive form of the verb "learn". Either that, or the meaning of "skills". Before giving conversation advices, all things considered.

Now take your brand-new buddy Charlie and go back to your miserable troll cave, fucking clown.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:07 pm

Dais, it's best just to ignore Recap. Don't respond, don't give him the attention he so desperately craves.

back on topic : this isn't shaping up at all well so far. I'll give it a try, but right now i'm expecting massive disappointment.
Beautiful Burnout

Return to “Japanese Video Games”