The Ultimate PCE

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

The Ultimate PCE

Postby zinger » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:09 pm

I've never actually seen a PC Engine in real life, and I don't know a lot about it. Still I know quite a few games for it that I'd like to own... The thing is, all the variatons of PCE consoles really confuse me. Which would be the 'ultimate PCE' (if there is one), that supports all games (Hucards, CDs, arcade card support(???) and whatever :P)? If it's not possible to play all games with just one console, please list the best combo :D Thanks...

Kaneko
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaneko » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:39 pm

The "ultimate PC Engine" may be a Duo/R/RX. However you won't be able to play SuperGraphX games. (Aldynes, Granz繝サ

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:43 pm

Yes, indeed all the different variations of the PC Engine are quite confusing! You want a Duo unit really, as they'll play all HuCards and SuperCds. If you want to play any of the Arcade CD games, you'll still need an Arcade Card Duo version. There are three versions of the Duo - original black Duo, Duo-R and Duo-RX. The R-and RX have the same white casing, just with logos in different places, and the RX has a 6button pad. The newer R/RX units look better imho. ;) There is however the Supergrafx, the successor to the PCE, that was short lived. It's just basically a souped up PCE that also plays PCE games as well as SG games. There are 5 SG only games, and 2 hybrid SG/PCE games. SG games have better graphics and only work on SG. If you want to play ALL PCE games, you want a SG with a SuperCD-Rom 2, and Arcade card. But it's a damn ugly beast, and not really worth it for the 6 SG only games. Stick with a Duo-R/RX, get an RGB Scart mod with colour booster and an Arcade card, and off you go chap. ;)
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.'' Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:21 pm

[quote="Kaneko"] You can also bye a PC Engine + interface unit with CD rom 2 and SupergraphX. quote] Seems everybody here uses to ignore the Super CD-ROM ROM add-on. The only card you'll need with it would be the Arcade Card.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:07 am

I personally think the add-ons just make a mess, and are less aesthetically pleasing. Azazel says they last longer, but honestly, I've never had a problem with my Japanese Duo, and it's not like you see a lot of them sold as "junk". My vote goes to the Duo/R/RX + Arcade Card.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:17 am

No matter what system you get there will be a few games you won't be able to play. A SG plus CD Add on doesn't play everything. Personally a Core Grafx, CD Add on, with ACD or a Duo with ACD are your best options. I really don't find anything wrong with the look of a Coregrafx/PC Engine with a CD add on. For the addons if they would of never made the Super Grafx and only maybe had 1 or 2 system card it wouldn't of been that bad. Well I've had about 4 or 5 Duos at one time or another and all of them have died. I know 100 and 100s of people that have had them die on them. You'll generally see about a post or 2 a month about a Duo dying or people having problem with them etc. That's why I say avoid them at all costs. Most of the long time people in the PC Engine scene agree with me that the CD add on last much longer and is much more durable. At least if a CD add on dies all you have to is replace it versus having the Duo CD rom drive or Lens go on you and your stuck with a half working system. I think I've only seen 1 or 2 times in 5 years of people having problems with a CD add on versus 100 of time with people will problems with a Duo. I've also seen a fair amount of them sold as junk or being sold that they only play hucards. I have no idea on a Duo R or Duo RX if there more durable as I've never had one. If your really going to go through with getting a Duo maybe you should give a Duo RX a try. I'm personally glad I just play PC Engine CD through emulation. Much easier that way and I don't have to worry about a system breaking down on me. I think the last Duo I had was a black Japanese one that I paid $50.00. I think I played it about 4 times in 2 or 3 months and it stopped working on me. I'll probably just sell this one for junk for $50.00 as at least it plays hucards and I can get my $50.00 back on it. Duos are just one of the worst made systems along with Sega/Mega CDs and PSXs. The market value for a Duo with shipping is generally about $150.00. I would personally never spend that kind of money on a system I know is not going to last. With how old the systems are getting it's certainly not going to get any better.

Pingu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pingu » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:42 am

My vote goes for the Pioneer Laseractive laserdisc player. With the PAC-N1 (pce) or PAC-N10 (tg) and a duo arcade card you could play everything except the super grafx games, and with everything I include the pc engine LD-rom^2s :D
Panda papanda kopanda

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:05 pm

Yes but how hard are those to get and how much do they run? Might not be the most practical thing to get.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:48 pm

Yeah, very unpractical, but that usually doesn't stop a lot of gamers. :) I've just never had any Duo problems, but then again, I don't play mine into the ground (that could have a lot to do with it). Duo's aren't really readily accessible in the states, and are pricey to ship. I think that's something to consider when purchasing.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Pingu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pingu » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:03 pm

a pioneer cld-a100 and a pac-n1 will probably set you back about $3-400. As for durabilty I'm not that sure but it's still working flawlessy at least. A problem though is that you don't have any expansion ports for the pc engine plugin so I had to get one of those memory banks you plug into the controller port. The built in memory in the duo isn't that big. ^^;;
Panda papanda kopanda

Schmeetz
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Schmeetz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:56 am

speaking of an RGB SCART and color booster mod for a Duo, where could you obtain reasonably detailed instructions on that? Or who knows anyone who can do that? I need it!

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:29 pm

Schmeetz wrote:speaking of an RGB SCART and color booster mod for a Duo, where could you obtain reasonably detailed instructions on that? Or who knows anyone who can do that? I need it!
http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/rgbturbo.htm That site's boards are full of people who'll answer you any related question.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:56 pm

Hey Shmeetz - welcome. There's a guy who I think is in the US, that posts over on Digital Press that actually does this mod for a fee. Might not be economical to ship from Europe though.

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:31 pm

In the UK, www.videogameimports.com or Raven Games in London will do it. VGI wil charge about 30+ (they did my RX for 30 when i got it from them). Raven games want about 60 i think. Go for VGI, i recommend them.
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.''
Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

Schmeetz
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Schmeetz » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:48 am

Thanks guys, I've already seen the GamesX schematic, and I've actually posted in Lawrence's forum about it but never really got a reply. Frankly, I don't get what's on that page, as it's not exactly clear to me how everything should be connected. Maybe I'm dumb. Maybe I just don't read schematics very well. The videogameimports site seems a bit outdated, so I wonder if they're still doing business, but I must say that the shipping will be horrendous since it's a two-way trip for the Duo plus the added 30 pounds for the procedure. Maybe I'll ask them to send me the necessary materials and I'll try to figure it out myself...

nutribrain
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby nutribrain » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:52 pm

Proably you should also look here: http://www.wolfsoft.de/cshop/csc_articles.php?saSearch[category]=PC-ENGINE They are located in Germany so s&h could be cheaper. They do those RGB output work (they did it about 10 years ago with my white PCE unit) and the work also contains the RGB-Booster cable. I've never buyed anything at this store, so I don't know how reliable they are. But from what I've heard for years they were the only store which offered such service.

Schmeetz
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Schmeetz » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:56 am

thanks nutribrain, I checked them out and they seem legit. Maybe I'll ask them for a price check but I have a feeling that that won't be much cheaper since they charge 60 euros for the procedure alone. Damn.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:02 am

Have you considered emulation? You can get true 15 kHz RGB display with some video cards, and you even can simulate an near perfect RGB picture with standard 31 kHz cards and monitors with fake scanlines, more or less with this result (depending on the monitor you're using): Image (Change your resolution to 640 x 480 for a full screen display).

zinger
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby zinger » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:08 pm

About VGI, does anyone know if they are still in buissniess? They haven't updated their newssection in awhile, that makes me wonder... About to order some stuff from them, so I'd like to know :)

m0nk3yb0y
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby m0nk3yb0y » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:16 am

zinger wrote:About VGI, does anyone know if they are still in buissniess? They haven't updated their newssection in awhile, that makes me wonder... About to order some stuff from them, so I'd like to know :)
Yeah, they're still going strong. They hardly ever update the news section, no need to worry.
''Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetative electronic music.''
Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989 :D

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:35 am

will this play pretty much all PCE titles pending I get the Arcade Card Pro soon? Image Image mod done by D-Lite cheers
Image My VGA Store http://www.videogameauctions.co.uk/shops/dj898

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:35 am

You can't deny that, even if, for some reason, you like the Super Grafx' pseudo-mechanized look (I've always failed to see why it's considered a super sexy design by most people), that coupled-but-unity-free thingie is a pretty horrendous combination...

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:40 am

yea I much prefer the suite case interface with original white PC Engine and CD-ROM2 module over this but since this unit was practically freebie can't complain that. :) cheers

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:52 am

The SuperGRAFX is ugly... and only has 4 games. :( I personally would take a white Duo-R or Duo-RX over anything else.

dj898
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby dj898 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:07 am

how about these then? I wouldn't mind to get replacement white shell for Duo if i can find one. Image Image cheers

Return to “Japanese Video Games”