The must have N64-games

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

The must have N64-games

Postby ave » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:02 pm

I know that the N64 is being considered like the fag in consoles history by a lot of people who are interested in japanese games, but I grew up with it and consider quite some games as playable.

I just started jp N64 collecting last summer and I'm now busy with enhancing my collection. I know that there are not many (not to say none) 2D-games for it, so what's the good jp-exclusive 3D-stuff?

A list of games that come to my mind:

Exclusive:

Tsumi to Batsu (Sin & Punishment)
Bakuretsumuteki Bangaioh
Star Soldier: Vanashing Earth
Dezaemon 3D

Non-exclusive but nonetheless good games:

Yuke Yuke Troublemakers
Blast Dozers
Goldeneye 007
Perfect Dark
Starfox 64
Excitebike 64
Wave Race 64
1080ツー Snowboarding
F-Zero X
Super Mario 64...

What about Star Solder: Vanashing Earth and Dezaemon 3D? Any good? Has Dezaemon again some good sample games available like the Saturn part?
Last edited by ave on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:30 pm

theyre awful.

the whole system is awful but those games in peticular.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:38 pm

Ok, so I'll buy them for the collection only :D
I admit that there is a lot of shite out there for N64, but I still enjoy Starfox 64 and F-Zero X like any other great game, although the N64-3D aged quite badly..

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:46 pm

hey atleast everything for the system is cheap :)

i tried to sell my N64 for ages with no luck :P

JAPJAC
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby JAPJAC » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:23 pm

The worst TV-Game system in my lifetime but I like Denryuu IraIra Bou even though the Jap PSOne version is miles better.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:39 pm

The two Zelda games are good. That's about all I've played. Apparently Sin & Punishment is fun. And that's about it. :)
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby CIT Seven Force » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:45 pm

Extremely crappy system, and was a huge disappointment to me back in the day.

Anyway, Yuke Yuke Troublemakers is good. And it's 2D. And exclusive.

Wonder Project J2 is reall nice as well. Overall Sin & Punishment is the best game though 窶

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:48 pm

I really liked Hybrid Heaven. I also liked Star Soldier, as its the only Shooter on the system. But yeah, its pretty much garbage.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:11 pm

citcelaid wrote:
Anyway, Yuke Yuke Troublemakers is good. And it's 2D.

As are Fuurai no Shiren 2, Tactics Ogre and Nushi Tsuri 64. But they're also upscaled, so what's the point.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:30 pm

I actually liked Star Soldier on the 64. It comes pretty cheaply on eBay or whereever, and feels a lot like the classic Star Soldier, but with just a bit purtier graphics. Haven't yet tried Dezaemon 64; I found a boxed copy at Hard Off back in March and it's been sitting here on the desk next to the computer since I've been back. Haven't had the time to set up the N64 yet.

Robotron 64 is also pretty cool, especially in the dual-controller mode where you use one to move and one to shoot, like in the original arcade game. Lots of fun, also pretty cheap.

Two of my personal favorites are the Star Wars titles Shadows of the Empire and Rogue Squadron. I like Shadows for the nostalgia value, as the N64 came out when I was in 8th grade, and the idea of a Star Wars game that totally recreated the Hoth battle from Empire Strikes Back blew my mind. Rogue Squadron, on the other hand, is just a solid game through and through especially with the 4MB expansion.

I have to second Sin & Punishment; more than some Treasure titles, this actually does live up to it's hype and is quite impressive on the 64. Of course, if you've got a Wii you might as well just get the download version of the game, but if not the N64 version is well worth the $40-60 it'll cost you. Not a bad story either, as far as Treasure games go. Also, don't ever get Jet Force Gemini, because it's just a really weak version of S&P.

Finally, the Evangelion game is also pretty cool if you're a fan of the series--I think it's the only game bearing the name Evangelion that actually allows you to take part in the different battles from the anime instead of being just a generic dating sim or pachinko title.

The Nintendo 64 at the time seemed to get quite a bit of hate, but looking back on it, it was really a neat console with a fair amount of pretty solid games. Plus, as was mentioned, none of them will really make a huge dent in your wallet except for Bangaioh, and maybe Animal Crossing (which is neat for its novelty value).

And not to be nitpicky, but I'm pretty sure Goldeneye 007 was a N64 exclusive; there's been fan hopes of getting it out on Wii's download service, but there's apparently some licensing issues with Rare and MGM that need to be worked out or something. Either way, it's a great game.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Greatsaintlouis wrote:The Nintendo 64 at the time seemed to get quite a bit of hate, but looking back on it, it was really a neat console with a fair amount of pretty solid games.

It was technically the greatest pile of crap Nintendo has ever put on the market, which is saying something, and its catalogue is just laughable both, quality and quantity-wise. Fanboyisms apart, that is.

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:00 pm

Recap wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:The Nintendo 64 at the time seemed to get quite a bit of hate, but looking back on it, it was really a neat console with a fair amount of pretty solid games.

It was technically the greatest pile of crap Nintendo has ever put on the market, which is saying something, and its catalogue is just laughable both, quality and quantity-wise. Fanboyisms apart, that is.

Even fanboys regard the system as crap aside from the zeldas and Mario 64. 64 is a good system to collect for without spending a lot of money.

Edit: I mean having a lot of boxes on the shelf. Looks cool, but play-wise...most of the stuff to quote one of GP's lines: "its a turd."
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Maybe I have some nostalgic issues because it was my first console, so I don't rate the games as critical as I would do with, let's say PS1.

JPN N64-covers tend to be very nice in most cases. Colorful on the on hand (Nintendo's games) and very cool and simple on the other hand (see one of the greatest covers of all time IMO: Perfect Dark). Furthermore owning an N64 is more than justified if only for Super Smash Bros (the N64-part was better than the GC one I think, did not play Brawl yet though), S&P, Starfox, the fps and some more Nintendo-stuff.

64 is a good system to collect for without spending a lot of money.

Edit: I mean having a lot of boxes on the shelf. Looks cool, but play-wise...most of the stuff to quote one of GP's lines: "its a turd."

100% agree
Besides, I'm also a collector who likes to buy neat but useless games from time to time, so that's all ok. :D

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:20 pm

Yuke Yuke Troublemakers isn't an exclusive?

JPN N64-covers tend to be very nice in most cases.

Yeah but that was back when Nintendo had a paper case fetish.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:45 am

JoshF wrote:Yuke Yuke Troublemakers isn't an exclusive?

JPN N64-covers tend to be very nice in most cases.

Yeah but that was back when Nintendo had a paper case fetish.

Which they've only recently gotten out of. Makes collecting "like new" conditioned FC/SFC... well, anything other than Wii & DS games impossible.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:52 am

It's not that there weren't "like-new" copies of each game still out there... you just have to be prepared for them. A Nintendo collector needs a nail file to open them, a shelf stuffed with bubble wrap to place them in and plastic jackets to prevent any wear - that's all.
I must confess that I used to do all that shit to a certain degree.

BTW: Yuke Yuke Troublemakers IS an exclusive, not jp-only, but still N64-only.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:58 am

not the biggest N64 fan and i'm not ashamed to say that the majority of time on it was spent on the more mainstream games : Mario Tennis was played a hell of a lot, and Golf to a lesser extent.

Beyond that i got into single player GoldenEye a fair bit (i think the rumour was that an improved version of this was on PartnerNET but was since taken down). International Superstar soccer got a decent amount of play time despite it degrading into 16-16 score games in multiplayer.

Infact, i think the most obscure thing i played and got into was probably Space Station Silicon Valley. Interesting little game.

a lot of N64 games seem to get more props than they deserve : Sin and Punishment is okay, but i found it fairly dull overall. I picked up the Neo Evangelion for a few people back in the day too - i was stunned at how awful it was and couldn't grasp why people were paying the money they were for it. Crazy stuff.
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:21 am

Apparently the best thing related to the N64 is Tower & Shaft, which runs on the Aleck 64 hardware. It's a 2D game, so of course, there was no dream of an N64 port.

EOJ
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby EOJ » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:16 am

Both of the Goemon games for the N64 were great (one 3D, one platformer).

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:02 am

Well, I can suggest you (but keep in mind that I'm a SRW whore)
*Super Robot Taisen 64*
And it's 2D!!

I've also heard of a Konami game..kinda like Rakugaki-something...but I don't know if ot's good or not.

By the way the system is indeed shitty, but some games where really good..the two Zelda's, Starfox, Mario, F-ZeroX and...and...well I can name no more :(

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:30 pm

Was there any reason given by Nintendo or anyone else for the serious lack of "pure" 2D-games?

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Was there any reason given by Nintendo

"We suck" was exactly what they said when asked why.

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:53 pm

I put this link the other day:

http://www.blamethecontrolpad.com/argonaut/argonaut.htm

The article misses some bits, but it's a good hint to understand that the West had much more to do with the 3D invasion than what the people usually think.

--

Tower & Shaft was released long after N64's death, I believe. There's a GBA port, if you need it.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:06 pm

Enjoyed reading that article Recap.
Brought back a lot of fond memories of Argonaut.
Beautiful Burnout

Recap
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Recap » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:35 pm

That's indeed one of the differences between your internet person and mine, you know -- while you do little more than lame insult attempts, I do qualilty posting.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”