Bemani, etc.

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

CIT Seven Force
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Bemani, etc.

Postby CIT Seven Force » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Anybody here play these games?

I just got DJMax Protable 2. I guess it's a total Bemani rip-off, but I figured that would be something non-annoying to play on PSP. I've no prior experience with this type of rythm game, but so far I'm really enjoying it! Very addictive.

Anybody here a Bemani pro? What are the best Bemani versions for beginners?

I really like this one: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=mn00Ux6AO7k

It's by Namiki, and sounds really DDP-esque. ;)

Would be way to difficult for me to master though.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:18 pm

Beatmania has such a steep learning curve. The game's a lot of fun, but you really have to invest a lot of time to get to the higher levels.

I've got the US release with the official controller, which is fun, but the licensed crap on the US release isn't quite as fun to play as the generic J-pop inspired stuff on the Japanese releases. I had intended to come back with at least two of the better ones, then managed to completely forget about it. IIDX 6 and IIDX 12 Happy Sky have pretty decent (and varied) track lists and are worth looking into.

ZebraAirforce
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby ZebraAirforce » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:24 pm

If you have machines available, DJ Troopers (the newest version) is as good of a place to start as any. It has something like 600 songs, I think.

If you are going to go for the PS2 ports Gold seems like a good choice (it has Shoot 'Em All, after all) with a fairly balanced songlist. The aforementioned Happy Sky may be a good choice as well. I would suggest avoiding Distorted for now, as it seems like the songlist in general is much more difficult than the others. If you are looking for really high quality controllers (and a kick in the balls, customs style) check this out.

RE: Are you good at bemani?
No. :D I haven't gotten around to buying all the various paraphanelia for it. It's just so expensive! I played one of the various emulators on PC for awhile and it was a ton of fun, but it's just impossible with a keyboard.
"It's like doing speed... It sounds fun b/c everyone is doing it, and then you're like, 'what the fuck!?'"

zapeipaa
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby zapeipaa » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:16 am

I've been playing since 2004, mostly IIDX, but I've also tried a couple of credits on pop'n music and drummania. Through bemani I came to find my favorite pop group, BeForU, and its member's solo works. Just like Cave, I've come to collect alot of bemani (and BeForU) related stuff.

I wouldn't say I'm good at it. I can clear 8s and some 9s, but beyond that, right now it's no fun trying anything above. At least I'm still having fun with it, and that' the main point.

innerpattern
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby innerpattern » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 am

i used to play a few years ago. I hacked up an old keyboard and made my own beatmania controller that actually worked pretty well. I'm not about to get any fancy controllers but if I ever came across an actual machine at a decent price that would be freakin sweet.

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:29 am

The official controller from Konami is pretty sweet, and should be easy enough to get a hold of. A few years back when beatmania was strictly a Japanese thing, one could expect to pay $80+ for an imported controller, but now thanks to Konami's stateside beatmania release, the controller can be had for much, much cheaper. Now if only they'd do the same for Pop'n Music.

Kaede
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Kaede » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm a total noob when it comes to bemani games, but I do know what I played of Pop n' Music whilst in Tokyo I absolutely loved. Wish I picked up a controller and a PopN game whilst I was there. :(

Beatmania looked a bit intimidating to me, especially as it seemed everyone else was playing it at like 200bpms and getting perfect notes every time. O_O
繧上◆縺励

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:46 am

The thing with Beatmania is, if you play any of the IIDX (PS2) titles, you have the option of playing either 7-key or 5-key on the songs. The modes are just as they sound--5-key has you using the first three white and two black keys, while 7-key has you using--surprise!--all seven. The songs on beginner are easy enough to get the hang of, but you'll run into the most bizarre learning cliff about the time you want to transition to a more intermediate stage--it's like someone on the dev team forgot to add a few songs to bridge the gap between "Sweet, I passed a song at 180bpm" and "HOLY SHIT THE SPEED!" Still, it's easy enough to get started.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”