[PC] Old games coming to the PC

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

[PC] Old games coming to the PC

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:17 am

A company called Media Kite is porting several older Japanese titles to the Win-PC world. Currently planned titles include G-Darius, Dear Dog 3, Langrisser, Langrisser II, The Super Ninja II, Wonder Boy V: Monster World III, and Ichidanto R. Depending on how well they make the games, we might see an English-hacked version of Langrisser II. I guess we can always hope.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:50 am

Actually Langrisser 2 on the Megadrive is already fully hacked into english. Der langrisser on the Snes would be done too probably if someone wanted to translate the last 13 scernarios or so.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:02 am

Was the first one War Song? I did a couple of Scenarios for a group a couple of years back. Not sure how far into the project they got. What a massive game though... TONS of freakin' text.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:08 pm

Warsong was the first Langrisser and I forgot who published it in the US. You worked on langrisser 2 to the best of my memory. It's all done basically except for the ending.[/list]

cfabian
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby cfabian » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:57 pm

Nice to hear this news, Langrisser and Monster World III were some of my old favorites. How is the existing PC version of Langrisser? Is it more or less identical to the PCE version or are there any graphical enhancements?

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:35 am

The Langrisser PC version is like the Langrisser 1 on the Saturn and PSX. If you haven't played either of those versions they basically redid Langrisser 1 with the Der Langrisser game system. And to answer your question the graphics are a little better than the PC Engine. The PC Engine version is closer to the oringal Megadrive version.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:00 am

Maybe I'm the only one that just can't get into RPGs on the PC. I played Diablo (a LOT) in college, but that was Diablo. It's not a Japanese SRPG that's been on (literally) every system 8-bit to 32-bit worth talking about.

Pingu
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Pingu » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:43 am

I'm really looking forward to a fan translation of the pc-fx version of der langrisser. I know sabre is making a fan translation of akazukin chacha.
Panda papanda kopanda

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:28 pm

Yeah, I think it'll be cool, but until there's a good emulator out there, I think it's kind of a lost cause. PC-FX is nitche, but fan-translasions are even more nitche. Who knows, maybe they'll pull it off. I'm just looking forward to finally playing any of the games. :)

Azazel
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Azazel » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:33 pm

I can stand playing though rpgs with emulation. With frame skipping that is the only way I could handle the massive leveling up you need to do in them. I just played through Emerald Dragon again and did it in less than a week. The game is only about 10 to 12 hour long but still. I wouldn't count on any version of Der Langrisser being translated soon. I think it has a script of somewhere between 500-800 KB. That will already scare away most people. Not to mention the saturn version has a whole new light path which is like another 15 scenarios or so and the PC-FX has a hard mode that probably has additional text for it as well. Part of the problem is if you don't anime, advenuter or dating games the PC-FX dones't have a lot to offer. It's got 1 shooter, 3 action games, 4 or 5 rpgs and everything elese falls into that other catagory. The only thing I would be interested in playing is Last Imperail Prince and Miraculum. I sold my PC-FX sometimes in the last month for $150.00. Not to mention for doing fan translations the PC-FX is suippose to be pretty hard to work with kind of like with the PC Engine, but at least the PC ENgine has plenty of great titles to chose. The cds are also structured kind fo same way which will probably cause a lot of problems.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”