The Must Have X360 Games

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

innerpattern
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

The Must Have X360 Games

Postby innerpattern » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:50 am

Well I'm finally joining the modern video game world again by purchasing one of the latest gen consoles... (JP360 to be exact)

Now, seeing as you all have impeccable taste here ;) ...please tell me what to get for the thing O_o

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:44 am

Absolutely DEAD RISING

Maybe the best game so far of this generation...

Also Devil May Cry 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 (this disappointed me a bit...but I still have to play it)

I recommend you to download and try Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mutant Storm (empire) and Galaga Legions

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:11 pm

Culdcept Saga (with patch)
Project Sylpheed (if you like Stellar Assault)
become history

ave
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby ave » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:26 pm

Mappy wrote:Absolutely DEAD RISING

Maybe the best game so far of this generation...

One of the games I was most looking forward to when I finally got my 360 in January. And I sold it already, a very disappointing experience in my gamer career. Spongy controls, bowling balls that vanish after 10 hits, long waiting times between missions and, in parts, pretty unfair level design.
It is definitely worth trying as I can see why there is a certain fascination about it (I am a huge Dawn of the Dead-fan myself), but this game just disappointed me.

Other general 360 recommendations by me:

- Gears of War (of course)
- Project Gotham Racing 4
- Rez HD (download shit, what a pity)
- Ace Combat 6 (very nice!)
- Beautiful Kamari
- Burnout Paradise (although some "features" are quite annoying)
- Forza Motorsport 2
- Earth Defense Force (+ some year date)

jp exclusive:
- Senkテエ no Ronde (aka Wartech)
- Raiden Fighters Aces

& the upcoming Cave-shooters

sven666
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby sven666 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:35 pm

Halo 3

i was really dissapointed with dead rising aswell.. granted i dont actually own it nor a 360 but i played it for an hour or two at a friends house and i really didnt feel urged to play anymore after that (i love dawn of the dead too), i thought the gameplay was severely lacking.
Recap wrote: I do qualilty posting.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:32 am

Hmmm, okay here goes :

Crackdown/riotact - especially if you can find someone to play it with, starts off slow, but picks up drastically once you start getting your levels up.

Chromehounds - absolutely awful single player campaign, but online in a mech team it's pretty great. Still my favourite game of the new generation.

Rainbow 6 Vegas - i guess Vegas 2 now that most of the bugs have been ironed out and the AI has been fixed. Great multiplayer fun (Terrorist hunt), doesn't get old, but the level/ace system could have been much more involved.

EDF - hit and miss per level, but some great moments throughout. Absolutely zero regard for frame rate ends up with screens packed full of enemies and single digit frame rates. pretty fun. Terrible achievements :/

Halo 3- i have to admit this was a huge disappointment, but it's still worth owning for the coop online play, which is great fun.

Just Cause - if you can pick it up budget, i had a lot of fun with this sandbox game, mainly from just flying around.

XBLA :

Rez HD : ... it's Rez in HD. err. What's not to like? :)

Braid - ignore the internet arguments, it's a clever puzzler with some interesting situations. It's not a platformer, don't be fooled by the screenshots.

Geometry Wars 2 - fantastic shooter, good fun playing the

Castle Crashers - slash em up from the Alien Hominid team. Some online issues, but great fun.

Puzzle Quest - bejeweled mini rpg, good fun.

If you don't have a decent PC :

Orange box - can't really go wrong with teamfortress, HL2, Hl2 ep 1, hl2 ep 2 and the utterly fantastic Portal. Worth it just to play Portal alone.

Mass Effect - technically up and down with some horrific moments of texture loading at times, but a great story, some great interactions, excellent music.

COD4 - took the shine off H3 online for me. Single player is a bit too scripted though especially compared to Halo 3's AI driven action. Online is great though, good levelling system, some nice ideas etc.
Beautiful Burnout

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:45 am

I think you are completely missing the point with Dead Rising
It's not a game you could appreciate after a couple ot hours playtime
At the beginning I was disappointed, too..it felt like a Sangoku Musou clone...after admittedly some time it turned as a very srategic and satisfying experience
The point is to save as much survivors as possible in you strict deadline, and to to so you must elaborate the correct routes and tactics..

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:51 am

I think you are completely missing the point with Dead Rising
It's not a game you could appreciate after a couple ot hours playtime
At the beginning I was disappointed, too..it felt like a Sangoku Musou clone...after admittedly some time it turned as a very srategic and satisfying experience
The point is to save as much survivors as possible in you strict deadline, and to to so you must elaborate the correct routes and tactics..

i was disappointed regarding DR , but as Mappy says, it's a bit bigger than it appears at first.

A few people who really rate it advise that you just try to survive the ordeal the first time, level up and up , then play through a second time to complete the game "properly". I keep meaning to go back to the game.
Beautiful Burnout

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm really enjoying Gundam: Operation Troy. It has a few flaws, but the multiplayer is really good if you play with a group of people who work togheather as a team. The single-player game sucks though, so only get it if you like multiplayer games.

The Idolm@ster - Certainly not for everyone, but a fantastic game if its your thing. Been playing since release day and I'm still having fun with it.
Stronger then your average deadite

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:19 am

I'm really enjoying Gundam: Operation Troy. It has a few flaws, but the multiplayer is really good if you play with a group of people who work togheather as a team. The single-player game sucks though, so only get it if you like multiplayer games.

i was surprised as to how non-sucky Troy was. I don't think it's a great game, but it's certainly turned out a lot better than expected. The single player was pretty fun - when i saw the "20 head shots in a row" achievement i thought "yeah, that's not going to happen" - but it's actually insanely easy. As is the "New Type" (kill 50 M.S. without dying). I was expecting both to be like some of the overly hard Japanese achievements (Baseball spirits comes to mind).

I'd strongly recommend Chromehounds as an online alternative. Similarly slow paced, but much much more refined. Lacks Gundams though of course. :)
Beautiful Burnout

innerpattern
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby innerpattern » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:26 am

Plenty of stuff to check out...thanks! Bionic Commando, Chromehounds & Culdcept Saga look really cool. There is also no way I can pass up Ace Combat!

I've already played my fill of GoW and Halo 3, those games seem to be inescapable whether you own an X360 or not.

innerpattern
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby innerpattern » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:29 am

SuperDeadite wrote: The single-player game sucks though, so only get it if you like multiplayer games.

seems to be a trend with the X360 ? O_o

mitsuruga
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby mitsuruga » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:31 pm

Virtua Fighter 5 is an absolute Must-Have :finger:

And I would recommend Lost Odyssey, very cool RPG!
o_O

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:10 pm

Blue Dragon is a good one. I was disappointed in Senko no Ronde though...
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”