Little Big Planet

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:40 pm

The thing that's cool about it, and all the self-made levels is that the limits aren't to just platforming, as shown. There's a Pac Man level as well which isn't bad. Really cool stuff... there's just going to be more boring levels than there are really interesting ones.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:07 am

yeah, working within limits is what makes it quite cool.

There are so many things that should be theoretically possible - i see no reason why certain levels/games could not be recreated in some form (Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Spelunker, etc) though the lack of jump physics editing / gravity / death conditions on falls etc will mean it has to inherit the LBP gameplay mechanic which might break the game or render them a little pointless.

Still, being able to fire the editor up and make whatever you like then distribute it to everyone simply is what makes this so appealing.
Beautiful Burnout

lordnikon
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby lordnikon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:08 am

dcharlie wrote:re: Gradius level (+ others i guess)

the only problem so far is that the enemy generation system is a bit fiddly, would have been nicer if there was a better standard enemy generator.

The Gradius level looks great and everything but obviously as a true game its not going to work in any meaningful form- but it's great seeing what people can come up with within the confines of a platform engine. The Dig Dug level is pretty cool just as a bit of fun, the tetris style puzzle game is also pretty clever.

Eh, as soon as you start to nitpick LBP on this level, it comes off like you are missing the point of it all. This game was never really intended to necessarily re-create classic arcade games in the first place.

LPB is a creativity platform, similar to other games like Mario Paint, Blast Works, and even Track Mania. I don't even own this game at the moment so I am not some sort of stalwart LBP supporter. I am just saying the whole point of LPB is to chill out and goof around within the confinds of the game.

Though do note since I don't own the game, your comments about enemy generation could be since you own the game and are more familiar with its creation tools saying that "it could have been done better". For which that very well may be the case.

---

From what I have seen so far of this game, it is something I would want to check out for sure. However, this has sequel all over it. I have a lot of other stuff I am playing right now and am going to just go with the flow and snatch up the "extra bonus pack edition" or a bigger better badder "LBP2" down the road.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:11 am

However, this has sequel all over it.

It has append package written all over it first though.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:30 am

Though do note since I don't own the game, your comments about enemy generation could be since you own the game and are more familiar with its creation tools saying that "it could have been done better". For which that very well may be the case.

yeah, it's more this - i've been playing with the editor for a while now (from beta through to now), and a couple of the level editor facets could have been better handled - the enemies is the main one. It's all still possible, but it's requires a bit more effort than it should (and enemies remain one of LBP's weaker points)

I appreciate the tool and i'm incredibly impressed with what people have put together, but i think with a patch they could potentially make it even better. Then again it might ruin the 'working within limits' aspect that's making things like the Gradius level so impressive.

From what I have seen so far of this game, it is something I would want to check out for sure. However, this has sequel all over it. I have a lot of other stuff I am playing right now and am going to just go with the flow and snatch up the "extra bonus pack edition" or a bigger better badder "LBP2" down the road.

i dunno , it's been in dev for 3-4 years and has been pushed back over and over again. MM now seemed to be signed on with Sony to create content and i think they'll be involved in the creation of "franchised" content (Disney have levels coming for instance, and a number of other people are apparently on board).

It wasn't meant as a nit pick though, it's just with a few minor changes (which may still happen, we've already had 2 patches) then these could become something altogether different.

Then again, people seem to be getting some crazy stuff out of the engine, so i think you are right - as you say - part of the fun is seeing how people solve the situations. Take this for instance :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRgYBHoAoU

yeah, it's a pretty poor calculator, but the mechanical solution that is shown above shows how far people are prepared to go when they are given a good tool set :)

Regarding a follow up : though i expect it eventually, I think that a LBP2 would be more likely for something like PS4. But yeah, i expect a "full edition" maybe for next Xmas with the top 50 user levels and any DLC attached for non internet folks to try. And yeah, a whole new DLC sets of levels every few months are pretty likely first.
Beautiful Burnout

Greatsaintlouis
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby Greatsaintlouis » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:09 am

It's interesting that, this far into its lifecycle, Little Big Planet really seems to be the first actual "killer app" for the PS3. I mean, there are several other games that have gotten solid receptions, but few were exclusive and even fewer were being met with the acclaim that I keep seeing for LBP web-wide.

This sort of swapping of user-created content really interests me, though; to my knowledge this is one of the first times consoles have started to close the gap with PCs in this regard and on such a visible level.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:31 am

It's interesting that, this far into its lifecycle, Little Big Planet really seems to be the first actual "killer app" for the PS3. I mean, there are several other games that have gotten solid receptions, but few were exclusive and even fewer were being met with the acclaim that I keep seeing for LBP web-wide.

This sort of swapping of user-created content really interests me, though; to my knowledge this is one of the first times consoles have started to close the gap with PCs in this regard and on such a visible level.

yeah, MGS4 was the first real chance for a killer app, but in the end the game failed to live up to the promise with the first two acts being fantastic, then the remaining 3 being pretty average.

It's not that the PS3 lacks good exclusive games, it's just the first two years has seen a run of decent-good exclusives that tended to get overhyped to their detrement (Uncharted, Warhawk, Resistance, Motorstorm 1, Lair (oh dear), etc) but now the pieces are starting to come together - with Wipeout HD, LBP, Motorstorm 2 (this one is a massive surprise, game is way better than the first), etc. we are starting to see legitimate AAA quality titles hit.

But yes, whether the sales figures make this a system seller is another thing altogether - i'm not expecting it to sell big numbers unfortunately , so i guess by definition it's not -really- destined to be a killer app, but in terms of a game that defines the PS3 experience : it's LBP.

Just happy that the PS3 is getting some worthwhile games, it's cut a lonely figure over the past two years and it's been mainly used for BD/media playback, which is somewhat unfortunate.
Beautiful Burnout

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:55 am

For you guys that have it, whats your psn names? I'm going to get this Friday.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:12 pm

PSN: DCharlie

hopefully will be work free and playing ! :)
Beautiful Burnout

zapeipaa
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby zapeipaa » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Sofmap has a bundle with PS3 40GB, the game, an extra joypad (probably rumble?) for 45k yen (plus like 2000 yen you get as Sofmap points). Kind of tempting.

I'd much rather want a 60GB but they're like x2 more in price :x

Just noticed it says 80GB on that page, but I'm sure that's a mistake?

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Mines: Radiantsvgun

Original, I know :)

I'll be getting it friday for sure. Payday is automatic come midnight thursday.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:52 pm

Just noticed it says 80GB on that page, but I'm sure that's a mistake?

nope, the new PS3's are 80 gig for the same price.

But yeah, even 80 gig disappears quite quickly and the 60 gig is the way to go if you can get one but, as you say, they are still running for 60k or so due to the full B/C.

The unfortunate inevitability with the PS3 is if you buy a lot of games you'll need to either deal with install/uninstall to keep your drive space open for games or you bite the bullet and upgrade the HDD. :/

I went up to 500G, and i'm already at 150G used already.
Beautiful Burnout

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:18 am

I wonder if they'll ever bring backwards compatibility back.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:03 am

I wonder if they'll ever bring backwards compatibility back.

i know they have a team working on software BC (without the GS+EE chip and the second "helper" chip) , but whether it'll ever come through now seems unlikely as i'd assume Sony need to drive down costs across the board.

I also suspect they may use a standalone emulator solution tied to downloadable Ps2 game roms and distribute those via PSN.

Then again, outside of Japan, their Archive PS1 rollout has had all the momentum of an asthmatic ant carrying some very heavy shopping.
Beautiful Burnout

Return to “Japanese Video Games”