The not so well known Japanese publication thread

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

The not so well known Japanese publication thread

Postby Gaijin Punch » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Everyone and their dog's sister knows about Famitsu (and it's many off shoots), Dengeki (are they still around?) and of course Arcadia. What about the others?

There are two that I've given a shot.
Game Side, as stated in another thread, is a great little book, although it's quite pricey at about 860 yen per issue. The contents are well worth it though. Going to do some digging for back issues. There is also a Game Side Level 1, which may or may not be done for after it's second issue, apparently.

The second is Continue. I'll be honest, I've only tried a few issues, but it's not bad. It's a similar format to Game Side: smaller, more expensive, more obscure contents. Little fact, Continue is where this interview with Junya Inoue was published, and it's my favorite of all of the one's I've translated. Great questions, really digging into not only his work at Toaplan and Cave, but how he got into the gaming industry as well.

If I'm not mistaken, both publishers have other one-offs and what not. I'm far too tired to look, but I think Famidas is the same guys as Game Side.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:19 am

Dengeki is still around but the number of spinoffs they produced have come down, some have been replaced. Arcadia has been doing particularly bad lately and is making an arcade card game mag as well.

Game Lab is the other small time mag focusing on hacks and mods...mostly PAR, PSP, and DS stuff lately but once upon a time they had interesting console mods (origin of 3DO RGB etc).

Game Union is a full sized mag focusing on Western titles but only 1 issue to date and I've only seen it for sale in Chaos.
become history

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:25 am

Do you know anything about YuuGee (Used Game) also by the same publisher as Game Side? Seems that perhaps it turned into Game Side, as I don't see any issues of late.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

Shou
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Postby Shou » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:41 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:Do you know anything about YuuGee (Used Game) also by the same publisher as Game Side? Seems that perhaps it turned into Game Side, as I don't see any issues of late.

Same mag, just rebranded over a year ago.

Used Games > YuuGee > Game Side
become history

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:27 am

I don't suppose anyone has read either of the Castlevania or Biohazard Gamesides? There's two CV ones, one with the PSP Dracula X on the cover and the other with that dumb fighting game but there's apparently a history of the series in that one.

Super Potato of course charges out the ass for copies (1600+) but I saw some issues at Mandarake for 420 apiece and that sounds more like it. Just curious if they're worth the shelf space.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:39 am

Kaneda wrote:I don't suppose anyone has read either of the Castlevania or Biohazard Gamesides? There's two CV ones, one with the PSP Dracula X on the cover and the other with that dumb fighting game but there's apparently a history of the series in that one.

Super Potato of course charges out the ass for copies (1600+) but I saw some issues at Mandarake for 420 apiece and that sounds more like it. Just curious if they're worth the shelf space.

I actually have a copy of the CV one in my office at Roppongi. It was my 2nd copy (but I've sold my lot of them as I'd read them all). Give me notice and I can pass it off to you as your reward for being the first white person to 2-loop Gbird2. I never gave the Biohazard one any attention.

No YJ account? They usually show up there cheaply.

Kaneda
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby Kaneda » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:30 am

Gaijin Punch wrote:I actually have a copy of the CV one in my office at Roppongi. It was my 2nd copy (but I've sold my lot of them as I'd read them all). Give me notice and I can pass it off to you as your reward for being the first white person to 2-loop Gbird2.

That would be killer. I know you're a busy man so however you want to pass it along is fine. By post is a hassle for you, so I can pick it up at your convenience if that works.

Of course you could also hang out with Jon and I this Saturday, but I dunno how your schedule is these days.

No YJ account? They usually show up there cheaply.

I checked and they were all pricey, especially the early Used Games ones with the weird 50s sci-fi covers. Those were still cheap at Mandarake but I have a hard time telling just by the covers if they're worth a look inside.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:24 am

Yeah, I can respect that. ;)
Let me grab it from the office tomorrow. I can post it to you, or maybe meet you guys out. I'm trying to stay in next weekend though as I'll be gone the entire first weekend of September, returning a favor to a friend.

Mappy
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby Mappy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:07 am

Hey GP do you have by chance also the CapcomXFamicom issue of gameside?
It's the one with Rockman and Red Arrimer on the cover..

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:55 pm

Mappy wrote:Hey GP do you have by chance also the CapcomXFamicom issue of gameside?
It's the one with Rockman and Red Arrimer on the cover..

Used to. Sold all my Gamesides.

Return to “Japanese Video Games”