The future of Metal Slug

Talk about all aspect of Japanese games.

Moderator: Gaijin Punch

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

The future of Metal Slug

Postby Macaw » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:28 pm

This topic must be discussed.

Metal Slug 1 amazed.
Metal Slug 2 gave more of the same.
Metal Slug 3 took the series into overdrive to reach its peak.
Metal Slugs 4-6 sucked a fair amount of balls.

(well, 5 and 6 have some merits, but the complete lack of new graphics or originality in 5, and the ugly backgrounds of 6, made me not really care about either of them. 4 just flat out sucked.)

And Metal Slug 7 is useless. Even disregarding the fact its on a handheld, it somehow makes the already overused sprites look worse, has shit level design, and just sucks.

So where does everyone think the series will head now? I really cant imagine them doing another DS game...

The greatest possible event would be doing 8 as an arcade title, and doing the complete high-res redrawn treatment they are doing for KOF12. I really doubt this will happen though, VS Fighters by nature make more money, and even though its taken them 4 years to do the graphics for KOF12, it will pay off in the long run.
Ara Ararauna, Blue and Gold Macaw, 32-34 inches
They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:59 pm

I think the days of new sprites outside of Cave & fighting games are long gone. At least good ones. Would have been nice to see SNK (or anyone) evolve the run & jump genre like Cave did the shooting, but I guess that's for the versions of us in alternate universes.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

LaserGun
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby LaserGun » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:26 pm

After 3 the series really did go down the shitter. I've only played a bit of 6 but I enjoyed what little I've seen of it.
7 really is fucking awful though, I don't get the praise associated with the game, like Macaw said; the level design is shit at best.
Unimaginative levels filled with downward slopes and a crapload of troops being spammed at you.
The backgrounds look ugly and boring too etc.

I think SNKP will still try to milk the series, 8 will probably be an arcade release with PS3/360 ports a year or two later. Although due to sales and hype I wouldn't be surprised if the next game was a handheld title, later ported to consoles like 7 was.

dcharlie
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby dcharlie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:00 pm

you forgot the stunning Metal Slug 3D !!!!

(i tried to forget it, but it won't go away.... no matter how many times i shower)
Beautiful Burnout

RadiantSvgun
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby RadiantSvgun » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:18 am

1 is still the best. Everyone loves 3, but its so damn long that I lose interest. Metal slug 4 are 5 fun for about... 10 mins maybe? 6 had me stoked, but when I finally got a chance to play it, it was utter shit. A hot steamer to be exact. ;)

I never got a chance to play metal slug 7, 3d, or Advance. Its too bad that this genre isnt getting the re-vamp it needs. Dolphin blue was a step in the right direction for the genre (revamped graphics ect,) but it still doesn't bring the back the genre like cave does with horizontal or vertical shooties.

Can Gunforce II/Geo storm be considered a slug game? If not, its pretty much the bastard brother.
Gaijin Punch wrote:Rule of thumb if someone wants to hire you as a contractor: You should get paid about 50% more... if not double. It's like fucking in a whore house without a condom.

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:47 am

Frankly I think all the slug games suck from a scoring standpoint. Have you ever watched a 2+ hour superplay of slug 3? You will want to stab yourself by the end. Regardless, the action mechanics, level design and graphic design are so good that they still stand as masterpiece games (the first 3). If you really put the time in you can begin forcing yourself to enjoy the milking, but I aint interested. The slugs really needed a time bonus at the end of each stage in order to stop the stalling, or even just a proper score system beyond melee'ing and milking every last second of a stage.

Anyway, I haven't played either Dolphin Blue or Demon Front, but they both look fantastic to me. Sure they didnt 'bring back' the genre, but thats only because Sammy were in a mess with the atomiswave, and IGS are concentrating on belt scroll action. If anything, IGS can be said to be keeping that genre alive just like cave is with STG's.

As for Geostorm, I actually like it more than any of the Metal Slug games. A score system that is actually normal, and the ridiculously over the top emphasis on action and explosions is too good. Not as advanced graphically as Metal Slug, but still way above average.

They are adaptable, and enjoy being in social situations. They readily become adept at performing tricks, and seem to love doing so. Cost:$900-1400

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:21 am

Things I hate about Geostorm;

-I find it very hard... am I a pussy?
-Deafult setting is only 2 lives? Fuck that. Yes, I am a pussy.
Rade wrote:Finally received a reply by posting in a thread at that Gaijin forum:

SuperDeadite
Respected Poster
Respected Poster

Postby SuperDeadite » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:49 am

Metal Slug 1 had a nifty scoring trick with the tank's shells at least. Too bad none of the sequals had it. :cry:

Still 1, 2, 3 are just fun to play around with. X is good for 2-players, but I find 2 to be the superior game. 4 and after don't exist to me.
Stronger then your average deadite

Macaw
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Macaw » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:01 pm

Gaijin Punch wrote:Things I hate about Geostorm;

-I find it very hard... am I a pussy?
-Deafult setting is only 2 lives? Fuck that. Yes, I am a pussy.

Haha GP, you clear stuff like Cave games and Dougousouken, yet think Geostorm is too hard :P

Put a little time in and you will realize its actually not all that tough. The first 2 stages are a cakewalk and don't require much thought at all, and beyond that stages don't get overly difficult, and the bosses are all pretty simple.

Gaijin Punch
Supreme Leader
Supreme Leader

Postby Gaijin Punch » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:13 pm

I'll give it another shot. I've condensed my Mame PC and normal PC into one (AVG2 is nice like that) so am getting all MAME-y. Dogousouken was a bitch, but I shelled out for the board, and put all that work into the stick, so was a lot more dedicated.

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:15 pm

A score system that is actually normal

Multiple loops? Might as well be an hour-long game. And I don't think Irem games stop at 2 either.

I'd never play any Metal Slug after the first for score. I almost got 3 million in that recently but I spaced out on the checkpoint right before the mission 5 boss. :cry:

Ganelon
Borderline recluse
Borderline recluse

Postby Ganelon » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:33 pm

Dolphin Blue is definitely worth a play since it at least offers varied game mechanics. Demon Front is an uninspiring rehash through and through. But then, I dislike the Metal Slug progression of run-n-guns (Contra all the way).

SuperPang
Past The Newbie Stage
Past The Newbie Stage

Postby SuperPang » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:21 pm

The MS6 posters claimed it was the final arcade game. Theres a HD Metal Slug in the works apparantly, but its probably a dodgy XBLA effort.

Technosphile
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby Technosphile » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:55 pm

X is okay for score. Its also the best game in the series.

Metal Slug died when SNK did. Every new one gets a lot of hype, and every one has been stinky ass. Just forget about it already.

Dais
Resident Fuck You
Resident Fuck You

Re: The future of Metal Slug

Postby Dais » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:45 pm

Macaw wrote:And Metal Slug 7 is useless. Even disregarding the fact its on a handheld

hahahahahahaa

oh I'm sorry icycap were you trying to sound like you had a valid angle of criticism

oh look, I never noticed this emoticon before

:whack:

jpj
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby jpj » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:42 am

from a scoring perspective, X and 4 are the best. but totally agree with macaw (i think i'd said this before someplace else?) that the timer should award score bonus on how quick you beat the level.

i tried playing slug 1 for score, but it feels almost blasphemous to take an easy-level beatutifully drawn 20-minute action game, and turn it into two hours of stab, wait for respawn, stab, ad infinitum. the glitch on stage 5 means you can turn on an autofire circuit, if you have one, and leave the room for 20 minutes, and double your score.

X is great because it has so few constantly respawning spots, and some of the secrets are very cool. 3 is great, but has a few infinite respawning spots, it's overall length feels longer than X (even if it isn't, re: scoring run), and when you're knifing those red spider things, it's like MS1 all over again.

4, while re-using (or paying homage, depending on your spin) a lot of sprites, is one of the best in terms of playing for score and/or survival. much tougher than 1, 2, X or 3. combo system had a lot of potential

5 has some bizarre scoring glitches. i played it a lot when it first came out (pre-ordered an AES game O_O ), but it's maybe too short, and low difficulty. great soundtrack though

never played 7, and only played 6 maybe 3 or 4 times.

pretty certain the future for MS is mobile phone and xbla :conf:

JoshF
Outta My Way
Outta My Way

Postby JoshF » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 pm

i tried playing slug 1 for score, but it feels almost blasphemous to take an easy-level beatutifully drawn 20-minute action game, and turn it into two hours of stab, wait for respawn, stab, ad infinitum

Welcome to scoring in games with checkpoints. X and 4 both take longer than an hour, BTW. ;)

jpj
Exchange Student
Exchange Student

Postby jpj » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:01 pm

yes, but the actual length of the stages themselves are longer too, so you aren't protracting the game as much as you are with 1. maybe as much as 50% longer. only bad thing with X is there are three sceret items which can be 0 points, 100 points, or 30,000 points. so you can lose almost 0.1 million just through bad luck. thankfully they're all in the opening stages so you can restart. i suppose you could also say you practically need auto-fire for the subway trains, but if you're playing for score, chances are you already have that sorted :)

man, it's been almost 2 years since i last plugged in my four-slot :?

Return to “Japanese Video Games”